Can/should I sell a new replacement Nexus 5 from T-Mobile online?

drj0n3z

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I had the jump program from T-Mobile, and my previous Nexus 5 died at the beginning of the week. I went into the store, and the lady there said that there would be a $150 deductible. I said screw that and bought a LG G4, (which I like except for the screen sensitivity issue, which is something else). After thinking about it, I called the t-mobile customer service, who told me the lady was an *****, and of COURSE they would replace my phone for a $5 fee. They sent the phone to me overnight and now I have my LG G4 and my new Nexus 5. My question is this: Should I take the phone in and make them take the phone as a Jump trade in (basically saving me the 130 bucks I still need to pay on the phone) or sell the Nexus 5 online? I see phones out there listed at 250 to 300 bucks, listed as new and unlocked. My research shows the Nexus 5 ships unlocked, but are these phones online unlocked AND rooted? I dont know squat about rooting a phone, and really am not in the mood to frag a brand new phone bumbling about, this making it unusable and out of warranty for t-mobile. So, any suggestions?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The phones ship SIM unlocked. They do not ship with an unlocked bootloader and are not rooted out of the box.

drj0n3z

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
That's what I figured it meant. I suppose the best thing to do would be list it on a few sites with the caveat that it is SIM unlocked but does not have an unlocked bootloader and is not rooted. If I can get more than 130 bucks out of it, I'l end up making money.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Rooting a Nexus device is almost comically easy. As I learned this week. I used a program called Wugfreshes Nexus Root toolkit to root my new Nexus 5. It unlocks bootloaders, makes backups, the works. You could unlock the bootloader before listing it.

from the Elegance

drj0n3z

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
If it so easy, do you think it would affect the value at all? Because if I can't sell it (it's a brand new phone, but it is the phone only, no cords, ect) and it is rooted, wont T-mobile tell me to gtfo? Thanks for responding to my thread, by the way!

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
If it so easy, do you think it would affect the value at all? Because if I can't sell it (it's a brand new phone, but it is the phone only, no cords, ect) and it is rooted, wont T-mobile tell me to gtfo? Thanks for responding to my thread, by the way!
You can use the same tool to unroot it and relock the bootloader and TMobile would be none the wiser.

from the Elegance

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The choice is really up to you. If you need the cash then sell it. If you had previously tinkered with the device (installed ROMs and Kernels) then maybe it's worth keeping it. It might not be a bad idea to keep it as a backup if you want to.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams