I recently got a Nexus 5. It's a decent phone despite its weakish battery. It's just a kick-around device for rooting and ROMing so the weak battery is not a big deal. The thing that does surprise me is that the glass is not uniformly flat like it should be. I'm on my 3rd tempered glass screen protector and despite pretty perfect installs there are two pretty notable bubbles because the glass dips in ever so slightly.

It's almost comical but it's not. So, I can either live with the unsightly bubbles under the tempered glass, try a Saran Wrap-type screen protector (Zagg, Skinomi, etc.), or go with a naked screen. Not using a screen protector is akin to unprotected sex in my book (not too safe).

Has anyone else noticed that their Nexus 5's glass is not uniformly flat or is this issue confined to me? Does anyone have a Nexus 5 with no screen protector that doesn't even have hairline/micro scratches after a long period of use?

Sent from the Elegance
    08-07-2015 08:49 AM
    I recently got a Nexus 5. It's a decent phone despite its weakish battery. It's just a kick-around device for rooting and ROMing so the weak battery is not a big deal. The thing that does surprise me is that the glass is not uniformly flat like it should be. I'm on my 3rd tempered glass screen protector and despite pretty perfect installs there are two pretty notable bubbles because the glass dips in ever so slightly.

It's almost comical but it's not. So, I can either live with the unsightly bubbles under the tempered glass, try a Saran Wrap-type screen protector (Zagg, Skinomi, etc.), or go with a naked screen. Not using a screen protector is akin to unprotected sex in my book (not too safe).

Has anyone else noticed that their Nexus 5's glass is not uniformly flat or is this issue confined to me? Does anyone have a Nexus 5 with no screen protector that doesn't even have hairline/micro scratches after a long period of use?

Sent from the Elegance
    No scratches after 1.5 year of use. Pull down your screen protector and enjoy

Sent from my Nexus 5 CAF
    08-07-2015 10:52 AM
    Hairline/micro scratches are akin to the herpes of not using a screen protector....they're permanent, but after a while you learn to live with them.
    08-07-2015 10:53 AM
    Hairline/micro scratches are akin to the herpes of not using a screen protector....they're permanent, but after a while you learn to live with them.
    Ugh. So, ugly bubbles, SaranWrap, or potential scratches. I have to think about which is worse.

Sent from the Elegance
    08-07-2015 01:09 PM
    No scratches after 1.5 year of use. Pull down your screen protector and enjoy

Sent from my Nexus 5 CAF
    I may try but it may be scary at first, lol.

Sent from the Elegance
    Sly_67 likes this.
    08-07-2015 01:10 PM
    I may try but it may be scary at first, lol.

Sent from the Elegance
    Be brave enough and live free without screen protector.

Sent from my Nexus 5 CAF
    08-07-2015 01:50 PM
    Are you sure it's the screen? I've seen bubbles n screen protectors from microscopic size dust particles - you can't see them, but when you use a microscope, there they are - making a 1/8" bubble. I always make sure I'm in a dust-free environment, wipe the screen down with a moistened microfiber cloth, then "scotch tape" the screen (use the sticky side of good packing tape to pick up any remaining little particles). Then another wipedown and put the screen protector on.
    08-08-2015 01:56 AM
    Are you sure it's the screen? I've seen bubbles n screen protectors from microscopic size dust particles - you can't see them, but when you use a microscope, there they are - making a 1/8" bubble. I always make sure I'm in a dust-free environment, wipe the screen down with a moistened microfiber cloth, then "scotch tape" the screen (use the sticky side of good packing tape to pick up any remaining little particles). Then another wipedown and put the screen protector on.
    Oh yes, when I took the tempered glass protector off and held the phone under light I could actually see the slight indentations that cause the bubbles. A manufacturing defect as I hope that's not how all Nexus 5 devices are.

Sent from the Elegance
    08-08-2015 07:22 AM