Major Battery Drain - WIFI - Airplane Mode - No SIM

ProBird79

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I just got my nexus 6 so I popped the SIM card out of the Nexus 5 and installed it in the Nexus 6 (after cutting the SIM down to size of course). I was messing around with my Nexus 5 on WIFI with Airplane mode on while my Nexus 6 was doing all of its updates. The Nexus 5 has massive batter drain Even while the screen is off and sitting there I am getting the same amount of drain as is if the screen were on. The phone stays warm while just sitting in idle. On the batter stats it is showing that it is staying awake the entire time. It looks like Gmail is running constantly. What am I missing that is causing this?

ProBird79

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Here are the battery stats: I turned email sync off for my Gmail account and let my other email account sync every hour.
Screenshot_2015-09-20-14-36-09.jpgScreenshot_2015-09-20-14-37-56.jpg

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi, how old is your Nexus 5? The battery doesn't look that unusual (could be better though), from 5 am to 3 pm is 10 hours, about what I get if I don't use mine too much.

ProBird79

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi, how old is your Nexus 5? The battery doesn't look that unusual (could be better though), from 5 am to 3 pm is 10 hours, about what I get if I don't use mine too much.

It's 2 years old. That's not the problem though. The battery has been great. It would be quite the coincidence the second I take the SIM out and turn on WIFI that this began. I could get a few days out of my phone connected to the cellular network which takes more power. I have it localized and I'm trying one more test before I post back.

ProBird79

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so after more testing this is definitely a Gmail issue. If I leave "sync Gmail" on for my actual Gmail account and turn off my other email sync (which I had set to sync every hour) the battery drain stopped. I then turned my non Gmail account back on to sync and the massive battery drain began again. I then deleted the account just to verify that was the culprit and it definitely is! I added the email account back and have not seen the battery drain since so this is solved! The battery is now back to discharging at ~1%/hr.
Screenshot_2015-09-21-22-34-12.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech