Android 5.1 update won't stick?

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Android 5.1 update won't "stick"

Hi,

I broke the screen on my N5 last week (which was running A6.0) so bought a refurbished replacement from eBay. It arrived yesterday and I began getting it all set up. It came with Android 5.0, and wants to update to 5.1. However, the update doesn't seem to stick.

I allow the phone to download and then install the 5.1 update. It begins the process by rebooting and then installing the update. However, when it's finished it still says it's running at 5.0 (found in Settings, About Phone, Android Version). I've been through this loop a few times now with no luck. I've even tried doing a factory reset but no luck.

The phone otherwise seems to be in great (like new) condition. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Toby.

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android 5.1 update won't "stick"

I've read through that link to install 6.0 a few times, and it all seems a little confusing and intimidating. I sure don't want to brick the phone.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Android 5.1 update won't "stick"

I've read through that link to install 6.0 a few times, and it all seems a little confusing and intimidating. I sure don't want to brick the phone.

You won't. Those are the official images for the phone. You can watch a video on how to do it. There are tons on YouTube.

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
trying to update to 6.0

OK, so I took the plunge and it's not going well.

I watched several vids on YouTube many times, and installed the Android SDK Tools, enabled Developer Mode, and put my phone into the boot loader. It wasn't showing as unlocked so I opened a command prompt and tried to access it with the "fastboot devices" command. It errors, details in the picture here:

Screenshot 2015-10-29 12.36.34.png

Per one of the videos I then got the updated Google USB Driver, and installed that onto the phone via Device Manager, which seemed to go ok. However, Fastboot still cannot access the phone. It seems to my basic knowledge like a problem with ADB (?).

Any hints?

(By the way, here are the two videos I used for guidance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5vgTtBOb54, and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hao_Yf-gaw)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-10-29 12.29.55.png
    Screenshot 2015-10-29 12.29.55.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 2

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: trying to update to 6.0

OK so I think I have it working now. There were some details that were really glossed over in those videos.

First, I did add the path to the location where the Android SDK is installed in the PATH environment variable. That didn't help.

Then I noticed that in one of the videos the presenter had the adb and fastboot files in the Marshmallow update folder, so I found those and copied them over to the folder. See the 4 highlighted files in this picture:

Screenshot 2015-10-29 14.06.45.png

Doing that meant I was able to run fastboot. Yay.

However, my phone still wasn't unlocked, so I googled that, and the command is "fastboot oem unlock", which did the trick.

All good, and now I just double-clicked the "flash-all" file and it began the update.

That's now done and the phone is definitely running 6.0. It's sitting there downloading all the different apps I had. Success.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo