How to remove SuperSU without root?

A

AC Question

Hi,

I bought a Nexus 5 from amazon and when it came in and I set it up, it was like setting up a brand new phone. However, when the setup process was done and I was brought to the homescreen, it had SuperSU in the app drawer. I was scared because I do not want a rooted phone, so I installed Root Checker and that said that my phone was not rooted. However, if I launch SuperSU in order to uninstall it, it gives me a pop up that says that "There is no SU binary intalled" and stuff, and I cannot access the app further than that. Is there any way to uninstall it? (Also, if I go to the google play store to uninstall, it just says that it'll uninstall all updates from this app)

Thanks

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
By what you describe, the SuperSU app has been installed as a system application.... so you can't uninstall it. There might be an option in SuperSU to 'unroot' the device completely. That SHOULD remove all traces of itself, including the app. But that, of course, needs root access.

If you have that app installed and the device isn't rooted, that is extremely strange.. and not something that was done by Google, or any other reputable reseller. You would have to re-root the phone THEN have SuperSU unroot it.

Or you can just disable it (Settings - Apps - select SuperSU and select Disable) and just ignore it. If your phone isn't rooted, the app won't do anything.

EvilLemon

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi, it's the guy who had the original post
If i install the marshmallow OTA update, will that remove it? I thought i read somewhere that the OTA update removes root, supersu, etc

EvilLemon

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
By what you describe, the SuperSU app has been installed as a system application.... so you can't uninstall it. There might be an option in SuperSU to 'unroot' the device completely. That SHOULD remove all traces of itself, including the app. But that, of course, needs root access.

If you have that app installed and the device isn't rooted, that is extremely strange.. and not something that was done by Google, or any other reputable reseller. You would have to re-root the phone THEN have SuperSU unroot it.

Or you can just disable it (Settings - Apps - select SuperSU and select Disable) and just ignore it. If your phone isn't rooted, the app won't do anything.

If i install the marshmallow OTA update, will that remove it? I thought i read somewhere that the OTA update removes root, supersu, etc

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Well, system modifications actually cause OTAs to fail to load. The OTA has system check scripts to detect system modifications.... So if you install the 6.0 OTA, it might very well exit out. The presense of SuperSU kind of makes me think that your Nexus 5 has some system modifications....

You might be better off reloading the factory image instead. That way you end up with a Nexus 5 that is EXACTLY how it came from Google.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
You might be better off reloading the factory image instead. That way you end up with a Nexus 5 that is EXACTLY how it came from Google.
Listen to this man! Immediately stop what you're doing and factory-flash the ROM; there is no way for you to know whether or not there's something very shady going on with your device, and you really shouldn't take the risk.

FYI, OTAs will not be enough, you need to factory-flash. Please be aware that you will lose all data on the phone (e.g., pictures) so back them up first.

Here's the image (grab the latest 6.0 that's there -- you might as well have that to start).
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerhead

Here's a walkthrough for how to do it.
How to manually update your Nexus | Android Central

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... I would make it a point to do a full refresh of the factory image, especially if you get a phone that has been used or touched since it left Google, which a phone with SuperSU loaded certainly would be.

UniQ BaDWolF

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
hey guys... i have the same problem with a samsung galaxy s4 mini
I'm sure it is a system modification and i wanna return to the basic phone
i tried many times to do factory reset and is not working
do you have any idea how to do it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member