Nexus 5 random shut down and loss of battery

BIGLEX911

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
So, I had my N5 since 2013 and the battery as the updates went around (I am sure everyone knows) was up and down until Marshmallow came out, it was amazing. Great speed , battery and everything, but i broke my own rule and updated to 6.0.1 as soon as i was able to. Well since then the battery isn't so good, and whenever I use heavy apps (primarily when i try to multitask between them) the phone will black out and will turn back on with a chunk of battery missing or it used to be dead. Again this only started with new update so I cant totally point at the battery being old as the problem, but as a new bug with update. I cleared cache and reset it. I tried to downgrade it but kept saying there was missing images and such. My real question is. Am I the only one facing this problem or is anyone else? If I am not the only one at least that assures me it is a firmware bug and not my phone. I did just purchase a LG v10, but I would like to have this as a back up or give it to my father to replace his Moto G.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When this happens. and you get the phone running again, look at Settings/General/Battery. Tap the graph at the top to get the second graph.
If you see a sudden drop to zero toward the right end of the graph, your battery is growing a dendrite. (See Lithium Battery Dendrite links to learn about them.) It means that the battery has to be replaced. (It's such a common problem with lithium technology that the automotive industry is spending billions trying to find a way around it - nothing yet, though.)

BIGLEX911

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
So, the phone shut off and i have a pic of the chart that does show a sudden drop. This is pretty much a fact of a dendrite is growing and not software? I wonder how much it would cost to fix this. I may just fix it myself, but would you know where to get a decent battery? Don't want to replace a dead battery with another cheap one that will die also. Screenshot_20160108-203413.jpg

BIGLEX911

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
OK, so the chart shows a huge instant drop, I would h8 to replace with a cheap possible knock off battery, and im sure sending it in isn't cost efficient at all. I got off chat with Nexus support and he said to run it in safe mode for 24hours to see if maybe jt is an app issue possibly from new update. Will let you know tomorrow if it improves, hopefully it does!

electronicwiz1

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
My phone did this a year ago where it would just shut off and go black while using it. I fixed it by replacing the battery in the phone! So it's just a bad battery!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci