I currently use a Galaxy S6 and am looking for a cheap way to use stock Android (tired of Samsung's software). Although the Nexus 5 is getting a little old it seems to be a solid device. I'm looking at a few on eBay that are pretty solid deals. Thoughts?? Also, will the Nexus 5 get the update to Android N?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-20-2016 02:26 PM
    I currently use a Galaxy S6 and am looking for a cheap way to use stock Android (tired of Samsung's software). Although the Nexus 5 is getting a little old it seems to be a solid device. I'm looking at a few on eBay that are pretty solid deals. Thoughts?? Also, will the Nexus 5 get the update to Android N?

Currently, the Nexus 5 is not a candidate device receiving the "N" Preview. Does this mean it's not receiving an Official release of N? Not necessarily. Though, my guess is that it won't. However, the development community will likely be releasing an official build when AOSP N is released. If the device was reasonable, and you want to fiddle around with AOSP, then it could be a good buy. if possible, it might be best to find a Nexus 6, or even the Nexus 5X if you wish to be on N when it is released.
    ChromeJob likes this.
    04-20-2016 04:10 PM
    Cyanogen will also most likely have something developed for Android N. I definitely would get a second hand 5 it I could trust the battery wasn't about to die..
    04-20-2016 11:38 PM
    I bought a new N5, after returning the N5x. It is still among the best, even though 2 plus years old. The latest 6.01 release has improved battery life considerably, and the camera app from developer N, does the same. Probably won't receive N, but is absolutely fine without it. A dependable and quite smooth daily driver for me.
    jrdatrackstar1223 likes this.
    04-21-2016 11:06 AM
    I bought a new N5, after returning the N5x. It is still among the best, even though 2 plus years old. The latest 6.01 release has improved battery life considerably, and the camera app from developer N, does the same. Probably won't receive N, but is absolutely fine without it. A dependable and quite smooth daily driver for me.
    Couldn't agree more. I picked one up for $130 (came with a wireless charger), and though I probably should've paid a little lower for it (16GB and not the best shape physically), I just had to finally get away from WP (so glad I did now too lol). I know it won't get N, and that does suck, but Marshmallow is perfectly fine (as long as the security patches and updates keep coming). We've already gotten 2 updates within the past month since I've even owned this phone, which is totally different than when I used to own Android back in the day (and switched to WP).
    04-22-2016 10:08 AM
    This is timely - I picked one up this AM for $90. I had one a year or two ago and my wife still has one. Looking forward to dumping the iPhone 6S (yep!) and returning to stock Android!
    04-22-2016 01:10 PM
    I'm not really one to tinker too much with custom ROMs like Cyanogen, so if the N5 isn't officially getting N, I probably won't load it on to the phone... The Nexus 6 is appealing to me as well but the size might be a little too ridiculous. And since I'm cheap I won't stretch for the 5X. Hmm. Decisions, decisions

04-22-2016 07:09 PM
    Don't like phablet form factor myself either, too clumsy as a phone and too small for a tablet. If the 5x didn't have the micro c USB port I'd probably go for it but at moment it's too big a jump with all the cables and chargers and accessories (such as a microSd adapter) I already have... Love the Nexus 5 but I hear too many issues about second hand- or too old batteries dying quickly and replacing it is an option but still very fiddly and finicky. Might try it when my current one goes (no pun intended
    04-22-2016 10:30 PM
    I just bought a refurbished N5 32Gb for $159, and couldn't be happier with the boost in wi-fi and LTE speed over my trusty N4. (Well, maybe not so trusty, it has rebooted and required factory reset 2-3 times in 6 months. I'm tired of that for my daily driver.)

Even if it doesn't Android "N" it will suffice for a year or two.

Things to still love about this older model:

• Wireless "Qi" charging still supported (now with magnets), so I can continue using the four (count 'em!) chargers at home and office (bravo Google and LG)
      • And 2012, 2013 Nexus chargers are cheap as chips! (If you don't like the LG WCP-400 that Google sold, and many people didn't myself NOT included, try for the LG WCP-300, it's just as good)

• Beautiful screen (again; bravo, LG)
    • Simple form factor, same subdued Nexus branding
    • Slightly taller, but same width, as my N4, so I can continue using my Dodocase Durables slipcase (but I bought a Nexus 5 sized one for half price)
    • Older model means accessories are cheaper too: got a Google bumper case for $10, screen shields for $7, etc.(the LG QuickCover is a superbly thin and functional case, if you can find it)
    • Still fits stealthily in a suit jacket breast pocket, unlike the newer phablets (yes, this matters to some of us)
    • Really nice, easily found buttons, thanks to ceramic material and squared off edges
    • Nexus means you can reflash with factory images, use custom recovery, root, etc. (and now you can flash an OTA update, thanks Google)
    • Unfortunately in Marshmallow/lastest Android Pay, Android Pay won't work with a rooted (or evidently just unlocked) device. Pfft. It's a fair cop, though.
    04-25-2016 03:15 PM
    I have A white nexus 5 32Gb version.
    it's a good phone.it doens't lag at all.
    but i have 2 problems which are my phone heat up when using iy while charging also my battery drains fast for some reasons.
    as for android N i really hope that N covers nexus 5 otherwise i'll be switching to Nexus 5x.
    i already bought a nexus 5x and liked it so much but it got the charger port damaged somehow.

05-13-2016 05:06 AM
    Well, that's the appeal of Qi charging, isn't it?

I've found my refurb is hardly requiring charging throughout the day, and that's with frequent wakes to scroll the screen and look something up. This is compared with a new battery in my Nexus 4 installed in January.

Not sure what your battery issues are.
    05-21-2016 02:26 PM