Android 6.0.1 Nexus 5 screen flickering stopped - is it due to software patch dated May 1, 2016 ?

sunkarankumar

May 11, 2016
Visit site
I took a nexus 5 little over one year old (replaced new by google India end of first year since sale) dumped by my son-in-law about three months ago as being useless, made it to factory settings 9with great difficulty) and upgraded to Android Version 6.0.1. When I had put in installed apps and started using it within two days its condition became very worse with often long repeated blank screens.
Today by chance, I accessed the device with good amount of difficulty and found PATCH dated May 1, 2016 that I installed and it had started working well without having to either replace screen or the flex cable.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Moved from the Displays forum to the Nexus 5 forum.

When it was having problems, did you try rebooting at that time? If not, it just may be the fact that you actually had to reboot the phone with the system update.

Scubadooper

May 12, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Moved from the Displays forum to the Nexus 5 forum.

When it was having problems, did you try rebooting at that time? If not, it just may be the fact that you actually had to reboot the phone with the system update.

When I have the problem I hold the power button till a reboot is forced, phone boots fine and issue is resolved (till it happens again) so seems to be a software problem.

Problem is linked to both the screen and the digitizer as the phone vibrates recognising random phantom screen touches while the screen has noise, lines, blocks of random pixels and negative images.

Have recently (just now) forced the phone to disable HW overlays, we'll see what happens...

Scubadooper

May 12, 2016
Visit site
No, haven't tried wiping the cache. However disabling HW overlays seems to (so far) have solved the problem. Is that reason to suspect there's a software fault in the screen (and digitizer) driver of the update?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not sure how the HW overlay would be involved. Are you still having problems with phantom touches? And if you re-enable HW overlays, do the problems come right back?

shafeeque mkm

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
No, haven't tried wiping the cache. However disabling HW overlays seems to (so far) have solved the problem. Is that reason to suspect there's a software fault in the screen (and digitizer) driver of the update?

The issue started appearing in my phone too. Can you explain me the steps you followed to resolve the issue. I am seeing this happening randomly whenever I lock the screen.