Apologies for the long initial post.

Google/LG Nexus 5
    Android 6.0.1
    Security Patch Level Oct 5, 2016
    Kernel 3.4.0-g99666f7
    Build M4830X
    Not now nor has it ever been rooted
    No custom roms or any other non-factory configs

I have two (2) Nexus 5's with the same specs as above purchased 6 months apart in 2014. The oldest one has no issues. The newer of the two has started experiencing an excessive battery drain and/or stability issue this November. I've been searching, reading, following other troubleshooting suggestions but this situation isn't adding up to me so I'm posting for assistance. I won't take offense to anyone posting a link to another thread telling me the search tool is my friend. I haven't been able to find the correct answer on my own.

Problem: Phone will perform a hard power off while in use after a very short time with plenty (well over 25%) power remaining. No low power warning or anything. Is there any fix for this as it makes the phone essentially unusable?

Issue Details: The phone would be used maybe 10-20 minutes then it would simply shut off. No low power warnings or any kind of grace period. Attempts to power it back up would fail. Let the phone sit 5+ minutes and sometimes it would power up and always with some random power, 15%, 87%, 42%, whatever it apparently felt.

Troubleshooting: Wiped the data cache 3x, factory reset of phone 3x times. Running minimal secondary apps (zero games, utilities, etc). Performed the battery memory pcb reset whatever it's called process of full charge, full discharge, full charge, full discharge, full charge with the OEM LG cable and charger to ensure the battery meter is functioning correctly. Moved the SIM out of the device into the older Nexus and a different but inactive SIM into this one to see if the issue followed it, it did not follow the SIM. Ran the phone on Airplane Mode but with Wifi enabled. Have ensured wifi scanning is off as well as various other basic battery saving techniques I could find. Extra case does not cover power buttons at all but I removed it as well as followed some power button "cleaning" techniques out there to ensure it's not stuck. I have not opened the phone case at all. Power history shows nothing out of the ordinary, just a gradual decline in power followed by an abrupt drop when it shuts off, then after boot more gradual decline.

Current Status: Battery appears to be reporting more consistently now, the apparent massive quick drain is gone but the phone will still shut off. I charged it fully Sunday night, unplugged it and left it idle overnight and into Monday AM. Decided to read some news on it, power reported along the lines of 67% and within 5 minutes it powered off in my hands. Did this test again 11/22 am. Full charge overnight, set it on my desk while working for approximately 3 hours while it was in airplane mode but with wifi enabled. Lit it up, showed 96% power so I started surfing google news feed. I estimate within 3 minutes the phone powered off while in use. Attempted to restart the phone but it would power off before the word ANDROID would appear but after the multi-color circles show during boot up. Left it for 20 minutes came back, powered up fine, reporting 86% power.
    11-22-2016 10:36 AM
    Troubleshooting update: Completed a 31 minute voip call via Google Hangouts Dialer with the display turned off for 95% of the time without issue. 10 minutes later I opened up the phone and started to check Google News feed and within minutes it shut off. As usual any attempts to turn it back on failed as if there was no power to the device. Left it alone for several minutes and it booted up fine. Somewhere in the 70's power percentage left. Thought maybe there is a link with the Google News app, opened Chrome to surf a page and within 30 seconds the phone again powered off.
    11-22-2016 01:49 PM
    Try replacing the battery. I have a Nexus 5 that had similar symptoms and as soon as I replaced the battery it started to work correctly.
    11-23-2016 08:56 AM
    That was going to be a long term step. I was hoping to not have to as the battery its-self seems to be fine now after the charge/deplete cycles. Or at-least it holds power as long as to be expected for a 2 year old batter. Next I'm going to try to manually flash the firmware over USB instead of OTA. Maybe even drop down to 5.1.1 manually then upgrade to 6.0.1. Trying all of the free things first.
    11-23-2016 11:40 AM
    i'm having the same problems, but I'm using CM13 Nightlies

it will randomly shutdown and sometimes I can only turn it back on after pluging it to charger and sometimes even on charger it still happens

just like with you, everytime I turn back on, it shows a different battery percentage

I thought it could be a ROM issue, since it only started after I began using nightlies, so I will test switching to a different ROM and if the problem persists, I believe only a new battery will fix it
    11-23-2016 03:07 PM
    I purchased a battery with a toolkit on-line and it was an easy swap. You can find videos of other people doing it too.
    11-23-2016 04:43 PM
    I thought I might come and post an update. The fix was a new replacement battery, really wish it wasn't the answer. Read on for details.

I followed the recommendation of using the "Contact Us" link at the same message I posted on the Google Forums and SURPRISE, no call back. I didn't hold high expectations for an out of warranty phone even if I did purchase both of my Nexus' through the Google Store but I was hoping for at-least some sort of automated reply. Guess not.

Just to take the troubleshooting to the hilt I gathered up the fastboot and all the other adb tools and Nexus USB drivers I'd need and performed a full wipe and Android install via usb. Tried downgrading to 5.1.1 and then pushed 6.0.1 to the phone all with no change at any point. Always random power offs unless tethered directly to a power source.

Since I have two Nexus 5's I went ahead and ordered a small electronics tool kit with the spudge's and pry tools and what not, cracked both phones open and swapped batteries around. Even though what little I could find on this problem pointed to it, I was surprised to find that the issues followed the battery and not the phone. On my quest to find a replacement for the OEM LG BL-T9 battery I got to learn that you're basically SOL as everything on the market is 3rd party Chinese knockoffs with loads of bad reviews. None apparently support wireless charging either if you need that. The information out there points to LG sourcing batteries from 3 different manufacturers, themselves, Sony and I believe Samsung with the Sony version being reported as the most garbage of the bunch. Of course my failed battery is from Sony while the older Good battery is branded LG. I ended up purchasing a BELTRON clone of the BL-T9 and installing it in the failing phone and so far battery life is great and the power issues have gone away. All that remains to be see is how long the battery will last and if the charge controller in the battery will allow it to overcharge and self destruct the phone. In the mean time I'm working on sourcing an OEM LG battery from overseas but shipping lithium ion batteries presents it's own host of problems.
    12-06-2016 05:55 PM
    yep, my problem was also solved by switching the battery for a new one

ofc, it's a chinese 3rd party, but at least the problem is gone...let's see how will this one hold
    12-06-2016 09:05 PM