screen black when call comes in

A

AC Question

This just started after last android update.
When phone rings I open it and screen is black. I press button to turn on screen and the ringing stops. I have to touch the phone icon and "return to call in progress" to answer the call.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. What phone do you have and what update did you receive? Do you have a screen protector? Also, go to settings - accessibility and make sure that 'power button ends call' is switched off.

Laurie G

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I have a LG Nexus 5. The update was 6.0.1, I have patch level Oct 5/16, build M4B302. I have no screen cover. I checked the setting as you suggest, it was already off. I called my service provider who referred me to LG, who said it was a software issue and suggested I perform a factory reset or wait for a patch in the next android update, which could be a month or so. Do you know if this problem is being worked on?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello Laurie, thanks for registering. Never heard of this issue before, but you could try a couple of things before a factory reset. Try clearing cached data from the storage settings and wiping the cache partition from recovery. These are normal procedures when troubleshooting, specially after a system update.

A couple of question to better understand your problem. When you get a call and your phone is locked, don't you get the dialer screen with a phone icon that can be swiped to the right to answer the call and to the left to dismiss it? What happens if you have a call while using the phone? Do you experience the same problem?

Laurie G

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
OK I cleared the cached data and wiped the cache partition. Problem remains.
My phone is not locked. It normally goes right to the dialer screen when a call comes in. But since the update the screen stays black. I have to turn on the screen by pressing the button on the right side of the phone (ringing stops), open the phone app and choose "return to call in progress" to see the dialer screen and sweep to the right to answer.
I'm not sure about the answer to your last question, doesn't occur very often.

Laurie G

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
I fixed it! My service provider told me it wouldn't work, but I tried it anyway. Settings/Apps/Phone/Uninstall Updates. Now incoming calls are displayed on screen normally. I hope the problem doesn't return with future updates. Thank you for your help.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I fixed it! My service provider told me it wouldn't work, but I tried it anyway. Settings/Apps/Phone/Uninstall Updates. Now incoming calls are displayed on screen normally. I hope the problem doesn't return with future updates. Thank you for your help.
Glad you managed to fix it and thanks for the follow up! It will be very helpful for other users for a similar problem. See you around the forums.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2