Why will the Nexus 6 not have the Nvidia Tegra K1?

TheDoctor 46

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Android L is the first 64 bit OS, so why is it not possible to release a nexus 6(X) with a K1. Or will the Nexus 8/9 be the first to do it? I feel like it's not out of the realm of possibility to see the next Nexus phone with a K1.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Android L is the first 64 bit OS, so why is it not possible to release a nexus 6(X) with a K1. Or will the Nexus 8/9 be the first to do it? I feel like it's not out of the realm of possibility to see the next Nexus phone with a K1.

You're going to have to ask the OEM who's making the next Nexus phone.

All signs point to a K1-powered tablet being the Android L 64-bit release/reference device. HTC Nexus 8 & 9 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The only explanation that I have heard thus far is that the K1 generates a lot more heat and needs more space to handle heat disbursement.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

According to the latest rumors based off NVIDIA's lawsuit papers filed against Samsung it was found that NVIDIA has admitted to developing the Nexus 8/9 with the new Tegra K1 (Denver) 64-Bit chip wrapped in a HTC tablet shell.

NVIDIA reveals Nexus 9 tablet launch timing in lawsuit | Android Central

And NVIDIA has claims to being the first 64 bit Android based mobile processor to be working with Android L.

So if you believe in the evidence out there present and past it all seems to fit. But until we have an official announcement from Google, HTC or NVIDIA its still up in the air.

As for a Tegra K1 in a smartphone I haven't heard of anything at this point. Last phone to feature a Tegra based chip was the HTC One X running the Tegra 3.

I personally would love to see a Tegra K1 based chip in a smartphone :)

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 6 will likely release with a Snapdragon 801 or 805, following the trend of the recent smart phones.

If it launches with a Snapdragon 801 it will most likely stick to a 1080p display, however if it uses a Snapdragon 805 it will have a 2K display.

Considering that the performance of Snapdragon 800/801 on a 1080p display is identical to the 805 on a 2K display, it really depends on whether you are willing to wait for the extra resolution.

The Tegra K1 isn't possible at least not now for mobile phones, it generates too much heat and could possibly also eat the battery pretty quickly.

I went with a Nexus 5 nearly two months ago instead of waiting for a Nexus 6, so far I have loved it.

exactnexus

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping it has a 2k display w/Snapdragon 805 or Tegra K1... That would make it a pretty sweet piece of tech. Throw in 3-4 GB Ram and at least 32 GB of storage and you've got a monster on your hands!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping it has a 2k display w/Snapdragon 805 or Tegra K1... That would make it a pretty sweet piece of tech. Throw in 3-4 GB Ram and at least 32 GB of storage and you've got a monster on your hands!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

At this point in time I believe that any major improvements Google can make the Nexus would be in software not hardware, we'll not exactly.

Google has never been able to nail the battery or camera of Nexus devices, while their updates have improved the experience quite a bit it can be made better on existing devices, such as the Nexus 5.

If they end up making a Snapdragon 805 2K phone with 3 GB of RAM, they'll need to add a much bigger battery, thus the cost will rise.

Tegra K1 is completely out of the question because it's made for tablets only at this point.

Since last year's Snapdragon 800 massive improvements haven't been made in the SOC industry, apart from higher resolution, they should work on improving the existing Nexus 5.

However in the tablet department they do need a new tablet and early rumors are luckily pointed towards the Tegra K1 on the Nexus 9.

But that's just what I think. :)

exactnexus

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I just want them to bring current specs for a flagship- at the very least- in order to compete. Otherwise what's the point? I'm not a spec snob at all but I just don't see the point in putting last year's tech in the brand new Nexus phone. If I upgrade it's gonna be to a phone that at least matches the other flagships out right now... softwarewise, it's a nexus and I MO that's a plus in its favor anyway you look at it. I just want to be impressed with the hardware too.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3...

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 4 - S4 Pro
Nexus 5 - Snapdragon 800

Both these Nexus phones have used the latest available Snapdragon processor of their time, so that's why I believe Snapdragon 805 is more likely to be used than the K1.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
They're probably going to have the Tegra K1 for the Nexus 9 tablet. That will be Google's 'we can do 64bit operating systems, and here's the device to prove it' .

Could be due to price or production constraints. Maybe the Snapdragon 805 is cheaper and Google can secure an order for them, whereas can't secure a Tegra K1 order for the phones. Or maybe they just don't care to have the Tegra K1 in the phone.

Personally I don't care. 64/32 bit, whatever. As long as the device is fast and performs well, that's most important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol