When is Google going to do their next big device announcement?

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have posted a couple of threads asking questions related to my quest to become a former iOS user (this coming from a guy with two Mac laptops and an iPad mini too...). My contract expires October 2nd, and I have done a ton of research, and have narrowed my next phone possibilities down to the HTC One M8, LG G3, (arguably the Moto X (2014) which keeps popping up in my head), and the white whale: the Nexus 6. I've read a ton of conflicting rumors about screen size and hardware, but I want to boil this down to two questions, based on the latest knowledge out there:

1. When is Google going to do their next "let's introduce our new OS / phone / phablet / tablet" announcement?
2. Am I an ***** for wanting to find out about this phone before making a purchase among the HTC/LG(/Moto) flagships? I feel like I have a high potential to be disappointed (by an announcement that no Nexus 6 device will be introduced in 2014).

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I have posted a couple of threads asking questions related to my quest to become a former iOS user (this coming from a guy with two Mac laptops and an iPad mini too...). My contract expires October 2nd, and I have done a ton of research, and have narrowed my next phone possibilities down to the HTC One M8, LG G3, (arguably the Moto X (2014) which keeps popping up in my head), and the white whale: the Nexus 6. I've read a ton of conflicting rumors about screen size and hardware, but I want to boil this down to two questions, based on the latest knowledge out there:

1. When is Google going to do their next "let's introduce our new OS / phone / phablet / tablet" announcement?
2. Am I an ***** for wanting to find out about this phone before making a purchase among the HTC/LG(/Moto) flagships? I feel like I have a high potential to be disappointed (by an announcement that no Nexus 6 device will be introduced in 2014).

I'd wait a little while for the announcement
From the projected specs, it looks flat out amazing, and running that on stock android will be insane

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Last year they announces and started selling on Halloween.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
You won't be able to get your hands on one until at least November. If you have the patience then wait. It might not be worth the wait, but at least this way you won't have any regrets if the new Nexus turns out to be better than the phone you settled for.

Also imo Sony Xperia Z3 > Moto X 2014 ~ HTC One M8 > LG G3

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
What I'm afraid of is waiting for the Nexus and then not seeing it come out until 2015. I'd like to have an idea if that's a possibility or not before I decide. So I'm hoping for some kind of announcement from Google in the next 3 weeks or so...

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What I'm afraid of is waiting for the Nexus and then not seeing it come out until 2015. I'd like to have an idea if that's a possibility or not before I decide. So I'm hoping for some kind of announcement from Google in the next 3 weeks or so...

You won't be waiting until next year.... They will have it out in plenty of time before the "Holiday" season starts in November..... and there wasn't much of an announcement last year... Google just spent a good month releasing "LEAKS" and then just kind of said "here it is" to make it official and it went on sale right away..

exactnexus

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I'd give it a little more time before making a decision.... my guess is there will be a Nexus 6, although I think they're saying it will be called Nexus X now. If rumored specs are to be believed it's gonna be a beast. Better to find out if it's true before making a decision you may regret. I personally am very interested in the Nexus X/6 but only if it comes on Verizon...

darknyght00

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I'd give it a little more time before making a decision.... my guess is there will be a Nexus 6, although I think they're saying it will be called Nexus X now. If rumored specs are to be believed it's gonna be a beast. Better to find out if it's true before making a decision you may regret. I personally am very interested in the Nexus X/6 but only if it comes on Verizon...

As a Verizon guy myself, I fear we may be waiting a long time before another Nexus phone comes to Big Red. I'm currently an iPhone user but have been eyeing the advancement of Android for a while now. Trouble is, I can't stand carrier branding and bloatware. If VZW didn't have me by the balls regarding price and coverage, I'd probably have jumped ship when the Nexus 5 or the original Moto X was released. I don't think any wireless carrier is truly innocent of screwing their customers but Verizon sure doesn't help their case by avoiding unlockable bootloaders like the plague.

exactnexus

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I know... chances of Verizon getting another Nexus are definitely slim but stranger things have happened I guess... I might be looking at the Droid Turbo though if the N6 doesn't hit VZW. We'll see.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3...

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how LG g3 can disappoint you.

Nexus 6 will be worth the wait if money is a concern, otherwise, it would not be better than any other flagship phones released recently.

Quick system upgrade from Google is overrated, it doesn't affect your day to day use of the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't see how LG g3 can disappoint you.

Nexus 6 will be worth the wait if money is a concern, otherwise, it would not be better than any other flagship phones released recently.

Quick system upgrade from Google is overrated, it doesn't affect your day to day use of the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Thanks for your response. Money is not a particular concern- I'm not a millionaire or anything, but I can afford to pay for the flagships. I agree, based on my research, that the updates are overrated. But stock Android, from what I hear, is preferable to the skins from the flagships. Is that not true? I had been led to believe that the Nexus 6 (likely) would be the hardware equivalent of the flagships without the bloat and skins, which is why I had earmarked it for my next phone. You know, if it actually will be released in 2014.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your response. Money is not a particular concern- I'm not a millionaire or anything, but I can afford to pay for the flagships. I agree, based on my research, that the updates are overrated. But stock Android, from what I hear, is preferable to the skins from the flagships. Is that not true? I had been led to believe that the Nexus 6 (likely) would be the hardware equivalent of the flagships without the bloat and skins, which is why I had earmarked it for my next phone. You know, if it actually will be released in 2014.

It's all subjective and up to personal preference whether they find stock android better than other skinned versions. Personally, I feel that certain OEM's have surpassed Google in the software, and I'd prefer to use HTC's Sense 6 or Sony's UI over stock android simply because I feel they're just as fast, and better looking (Sense).

'Bloat and skins' aren't always bad. Google have incorporated a few things from HTC's Sense into stock android, so clearly, OEM's are doing something right. The funniest thing is when the 'stock android is best android' people criticise Sense, when it's borrowed stuff from it..... always find that amusing.

But again, it's subjective. Skins and user experience vary from person to person. Your best bet would be to try a few of them and see which one you like most.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Bloatware, by definition is the useless app preinstalled, and trust me, google preinstalls bloatwares just as others, how many people actually use the whole google package? the magazine stand, the movie and tv, the drive, play games?

Plus, these apps only take up space, it doesn't stress cpu or gpu, with LG G3, you can use microsd card expand the space easily.

As I stated in the skin discussion thread, there is no stock android. What you get with nexus phone, is a google skin, which is a launcher and the whole nine yard by google, on top of Android OS itself.

Its google skin vs other skins, rather than no skin vs other skins.

Samsung, HTC, LG's skins are good, imho, google learned from them alot and added more functions to its own skin. In nextus 4 era, google skin is barely offer much functions, completely inferior to others. You remember the new notification panel on iOS7 and 8? Those things started in Samsung's Touchwiz, and now everybody is copying it.

Google skin is also battery and privacy inefficient IMHO, not that it 's cpu heavy or anything, but the fact google is embedding its services into every aspect of the UI, even the dialer. This means the skin is doing unnecessary internet data communications almost all the time.

Google's priority is to put this always connected device into people's hand so it can track you and learn everything about you to sell you things. In return it promises an always present digital assistant, a quick upgrade.

There are people love to be online all the time and don't worry about privacy.
There are others who will buy google anything, much like apple anything. lol

I am neither.

vaishaliu

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

I'm afraid about the same thing. I lose phones so easily and recently lost my nexus5 in a cab. So for the time being, I am working with a sucky laggy smart phone from the middle ages. I was really hoping that they'd be launching sooner but it feels as if the n6 might not even come out until 2015. I really want to try out the oneplusone phone too but their invite system is ridic. So now I'm going crazy cause I want a good smart phone for the time being but I know I want the n6 when it comes out. SIGH! :'( :'(

Also, I have a prepaid plan. So I want to stay within my budget and not shell out $600+ for a phone that I might lose again in the future. :\

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm afraid about the same thing. I lose phones so easily and recently lost my nexus5 in a cab. So for the time being, I am working with a sucky laggy smart phone from the middle ages. I was really hoping that they'd be launching sooner but it feels as if the n6 might not even come out until 2015. I really want to try out the oneplusone phone too but their invite system is ridic. So now I'm going crazy cause I want a good smart phone for the time being but I know I want the n6 when it comes out. SIGH! :'( :'(

Also, I have a prepaid plan. So I want to stay within my budget and not shell out $600+ for a phone that I might lose again in the future. :\

Why are you thinking out afraid the nexus will be launched in 2015?? It is pretty much safe to say it will be announced next month sometime. As for the OPO don't but it and wait for the nexus. I had the phone and sold it in two weeks. It was buggy, but again it was nice because it was so cheap. The nexus will be a much better phone.

Posted via Android Central App

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Being on Verizon it makes me sick that we probably won't see the nexus 6. I use a moto x 2013 and it is a great little device. I go back and forth between this and my note 3 but tend to favor my moto x. I did see an iPhone 6 yesterday and it got me thinking about leaving android but I'm not totally sold yet. I want to wait for the nexus announcement but I get the feeling my hopes will go down in flames. Wait for the Moto X review from the guys here at AC and see what they have to say. I'm concerned about the battery and camera but they have been putting the phone through the paces. Note 4? Being that I don't care for touchwiz in my note 3 I don't think the note 4 will be any different. M8 would a killer phone if not for the subpar camera. I haven't been real impressed from the pics I've seen from the camera. I've never used nor have I seen a g3 up close so I don't have enough any input there. Coming from iPhone I would go for as close to stock Android as you can get, so moto x or nexus.

5L Mustang

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Googles pre installed google apps take up very little space and some of them most people would have to have anyways such as maps and the play store apps. Google created Android like iOS for Apple. So google skins are super efficient and Google/ nexus phones run smooth as butter. The Nexus 4 was ahead of the times when it was released and the Nexus 5 fit right in with the times when was released. Android Silver was suppose to be a program that made top end premium built phones to compete with Apples premium built bodies for their phones.
I would not be surprised if Google's Nexus 6 was another ahead of the times phone. What better way to release a brand new OS created by Google than on a phone internally designed by google?
Skins some people like but a lot more seem to dislike them. A lot of people were so mad about Samsung's touch wiz that on a S5 16 GB phone take up just over 8 GB of internal memory. Apparently after awhile the skins start to slow the phone down as well. Motorola with the Moto x is the only phone skin I have heard no complaints about but lot's of compliments about. Motorola also gets all Android updates almost as fast as Nexus phones because they barely have a skin where as compared to other phone makers.
Having a Nexus and getting all the first updates for Android and bug fixes as well as improvements has always made my user experience a lot better and all my friends jealous.
I would definitely wait for the Nexus 6 to see if you like it or not. I could be wrong but I get the feeling it's going to an absolutely amazing phone with an awesome new OS and if it isn't awe inspiring all the other phones will still be here with some better prices than right now due to the Christmas season shopping starting.

mrvco

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
There is no need to be afraid. I'm sure the phone you have now is perfectly fine even if a bit dated. The good news is that they don't take away your current phone when your contract ends. Despite the rumors of its demise, patience remains a virtue.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Personally, i would like to know when Google will stop selling the N5. If i don't like the N6, i'd still like to buy the N5 directly from Google, and not Ebay.:p

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Bloatware, by definition is the useless app preinstalled, and trust me, google preinstalls bloatwares just as others, how many people actually use the whole google package? the magazine stand, the movie and tv, the drive, play games?

Plus, these apps only take up space, it doesn't stress cpu or gpu, with LG G3, you can use microsd card expand the space easily.

As I stated in the skin discussion thread, there is no stock android. What you get with nexus phone, is a google skin, which is a launcher and the whole nine yard by google, on top of Android OS itself.

Its google skin vs other skins, rather than no skin vs other skins.

Samsung, HTC, LG's skins are good, imho, google learned from them alot and added more functions to its own skin. In nextus 4 era, google skin is barely offer much functions, completely inferior to others. You remember the new notification panel on iOS7 and 8? Those things started in Samsung's Touchwiz, and now everybody is copying it.

Google skin is also battery and privacy inefficient IMHO, not that it 's cpu heavy or anything, but the fact google is embedding its services into every aspect of the UI, even the dialer. This means the skin is doing unnecessary internet data communications almost all the time.

Google's priority is to put this always connected device into people's hand so it can track you and learn everything about you to sell you things. In return it promises an always present digital assistant, a quick upgrade.

There are people love to be online all the time and don't worry about privacy.
There are others who will buy google anything, much like apple anything. lol

I am neither.

I for one, and many of my friends/co-workers use just about every google pre-installed app. The only exception being magazine stand. Even that got heavy use before I started using google+ more often. The difference between carrier bloat and Googles "bloat" is that googles apps are functional, smooth, and actually enhance the user experience, at least for me. Carrier bloat is literally completely useless and doesn't provide anything.

This privacy statement is also a little odd for me. Although not as secure as some other OS's, its certainly not as bad as you make it seem. Additionally, google is clearly trying to improve security with the latest news the Android L will auto encrypt your data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance