Nexus 5 production stopped? Possible Nexus 6 around the corner?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It would be just about time... It has been leaked that the tablet IS getting released soon, so why not the phone to go with that as well, right?

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
That would be great ! Hopefully. I hope it also gets pushed and advertised heavily, feel like not many people know what a Nexus is lol

The problem with the Nexus program is that Google are kind of in a tough spot as far as advertising goes. They can't push it too hard otherwise it'll eat into sales of their partners' devices.

If Nexus phones really start to take off then Google ends up competing with the companies that rely on Android to make products. There were rumblings of things like Samsung going off on a tangent and possibly focusing on Tizen rather than Android and other OEM's going to Windows Phone if Google really started pushing their own devices too much. I think there were some sour grapes with Google purchasing Motorola as well. Preferential treatment was a concern.

Think about it, every phone Google sells would mean one less sale to Samsung/HTC/LG/whatever. Same goes with tablets. Might not be an issue now with the sales being pretty low (I believe), but imagine if Google started selling tens of millions of these phones. Great for the company they've chosen to manufacture the phone, not so great for that company's competitors.

So while I agree, it would be nice if Google pushed hard and made this enormous marketing effort to get the Nexus brand out there and in the hands of consumers, it does come at a cost.

Last edited:

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
The problem with the Nexus program is that Google are kind of in a tough spot as far as advertising goes. They can't push it too hard otherwise it'll eat into sales of their partners' devices.

If Nexus phones really start to take off then Google ends up competing with the companies that rely on Android to make products. There were rumblings of things like Samsung going off on a tangent and possibly focusing on Tizen rather than Android and other OEM's going to Windows Phone if Google

Think about it, every phone Google sells would mean one less sale to Samsung/HTC/LG/whatever. Same goes with tablets. Might not be an issue now with the sales being pretty low (I believe), but imagine if Google started selling tens of millions of these phones. Great for the company they've chosen to manufacture the phone, not so great for that company's competitors.

So while I agree, it would be nice if Google pushed hard and made this enormous marketing effort to get the Nexus brand out there and in the hands of consumers, it does come at a cost.

True true. If thats the case.. then it would nice for them to make all Moto phones pure andriod and push those, i guess but yeah you have a point.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I hope so. I can't wait to learn more about the new Nexus. I'm really banking on it this year.

I've been really disappointed by this year's Android portfolio. Every manufacturer had some major strike against them. Samsung was design and TouchWiz. HTC One M8 was the camera and size. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact is still a maybe but it'll depend on the price. What's Sony's history with updates, anyway? The LG G3 was nice but a little large for me. Not a fan of their skin either.

I was really hoping the Moto X would be the winner, but with the mediocre battery and camera reviews, it's a pass.

It's now up to the new Nexus. Otherwise, I might do the unthinkable and go back to the iPhone 6. I sincerely rather not, but I'm really tired of Android devices having such compromises (sometimes over some of the most basic things).

C'mon, Google. Bring it.

PS. Current Nexus 5 owner. It's a fine device, but I want a better camera and more consistent/better battery life.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I hope so. I can't wait to learn more about the new Nexus. I'm really banking on it this year.

I've been really disappointed by this year's Android portfolio. Every manufacturer had some major strike against them. Samsung was design and TouchWiz. HTC One M8 was the camera and size. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact is still a maybe but it'll depend on the price. What's Sony's history with updates, anyway? The LG G3 was nice but a little large for me. Not a fan of their skin either.

I was really hoping the Moto X would be the winner, but with the mediocre battery and camera reviews, it's a pass.

It's now up to the new Nexus. Otherwise, I might do the unthinkable and go back to the iPhone 6. I sincerely rather not, but I'm really tired of Android devices having such compromises (sometimes over some of the most basic things).

C'mon, Google. Bring it.

PS. Current Nexus 5 owner. It's a fine device, but I want a better camera and more consistent/better battery life.

The Z3 and Z3 compact seem to have a great camera and an amazing battery life - more than nine and a half hours of screen on time.

I don't know about how good they are with updates but I read the Z2 was quick to get upgrades. After all Sony seems relatively close to stock compared to Samsung

Posted via Android Central App

stylez619

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

If Nexus phones really start to take off then Google ends up competing with the companies that rely on Android to make products. There were rumblings of things like Samsung going off on a tangent and possibly focusing on Tizen rather than Android and other OEM's going to Windows Phone if Google really started pushing their own devices too much. I think there were some sour grapes with Google purchasing Motorola as well. Preferential treatment was a concern.

As someone who worked for LG MobileComm when Google acquired Motorola, I can say that everything you said is 110% correct.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19