Nexus 6: Price

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah if you are willing to jump on one foot while hula hooping at the same time.. While also following and spaming all your friends on how great One+ is....

I'd of GLADLY thrown them money back in June..... The invite system and other issues turned me off... got tired of the games.... I wish them luck and really do hope they do great and survive... It's better for the overall eco system and competition... but for now.. I'd much rather spend twice as much and have a device from a company I KNOW will be around and I KNOW will get me updates for the next couple of years on a timely basis AND can afford to swap out my device quickly and relatively painlessly if there is an issue within my warranty period....

They're getting rid of the invite system soon.

Why it's an Apples to apples comparison

$700 5.9" 1440P, 3 gb ram, 64 gb storage, snapdragon 805 motorola nexus 6 with updates from google
or
$350 5.5" 1080P , 3gb ram, 64 gb storage, snapdragon 801 one+ with updates from cyanogenmod.

The nexus market has always been cheap phones with superior processors being their main selling point. I would consider the one + to be the spiritual successor to the nexus 5 in that regard.

One+ may be a new company, but cyanogenmod is a well known community. It's miles ahead of samsung when it comes to device support if you ask me (future updates.)

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I went from the Nexus One to the HTC EVO 4G on Sprint..... and I started on here shortly there after trying to root it and remove Sense... I really just liked vanilla stock android..... I had my EVO and GS3 Rooted and then went to the Nexus 5...... FINALLY got away from Sprint.... T-Mobile is ten times better than they were back when the N1 was released...

Man we went nearly the same route. Went from nexus one to evo to gs3 then nexus 4 then nexus 5. I felt like I had a twin out there!! :)

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The nexus market has always been cheap phones with superior processors being their main selling point. I would consider the one + to be the spiritual successor to the nexus 5 in that regard.

It's been said many times in this post that only the previous two Nexus (4 and 5) were cheaper than your average phone off contract. All the older ones from then had prices that were equivalent to other manufactures of the time.

I've also heard that the OPO is being made almost at cost. Can someone please clarify this for me.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It's been said many times in this post that only the previous two Nexus (4 and 5) were cheaper than your average phone off contract. All the older ones from then had prices that were equivalent to other manufactures of the time.

I've also heard that the OPO is being made almost at cost. Can someone please clarify this for me.

I thought Motorola was in the process of closing down their Texas manufacturing facility.

$650 for a foreign made phone? Then definitely it
$650 for a US made phone? maybe...

Moto X 2013 was an american made phone

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I thought Motorola was in the process of closing down their Texas manufacturing facility.

$650 for a foreign made phone? Then definitely it
$650 for a US made phone? maybe...

Moto X 2013 was an american made phone

Based on that comment, no phone is worth it's price then.

The 2013 X (which I own) is/were designed and assembled in the US. Its components were out sourced.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Based on that comment, no phone is worth it's price then.

The 2013 X (which I own) is/were designed and assembled in the US. Its components were out sourced.

Better than 100% of it being designed and assembled overseas.

the starting price point of the X was also a moderate $500 as well.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Better than 100% of it being designed and assembled overseas.

the starting price point of the X was also a moderate $500 as well.

Agree.

From what I just saw, $579 for 16GB, $629 for 32GB (Moto maker) and $649 for dev edition at launch. It quickly dropped from there though. Down to $400 by December I believe.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Comments from another forum on Play Store pricing -

Hopefully they're ($649) the off-contract "carrier" price which traditionally is 100-150$ higher than the Google Play Store price.

------

It's been the same pricing every year now. The only difference this time is Google hasn't said anything yet but carriers have. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus off contract price was $649 and Google Play was $399. T-Mobile Nexus 4 price was $499. Best buy had the Nexus 5 going for $799 when it launched. Sprint had the Nexus 5 at $150 ON CONTRACT. I'm expecting a nice surprise from Google when it hits the play store.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Moto dealing with carriers? since when?

You can get a Moto X from AT&T and Verizon.

You can get the Moto G from AT&T, Cricket Wireless, Boost Mobile, and Verizon.

Republic Wireless has the Moto X, Moto G, and Moto E.

There's the entire Motorola Droid line (Maxx, Razr M, and Mini) from Verizon. I think Verizon is also supposed to get the Droid Turbo later on.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
A tablet is also essentially a handheld computer too, but they sell for half if not less than a smartphone and have bigger screens. What are phone double the money of a tablet. Could it be that a cellular radio antenna is that expensive and explains the discrepancy?

LTE radios can be expensive, which is why a lot of cheap phones don't have LTE at all.

Putting tiny components into a smaller form factor (phone versus tablet) can raise the costs.

High-density displays also cost more. You need to fit more pixels into a smaller surface.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You can get a Moto X from AT&T and Verizon.

You can get the Moto G from AT&T, Cricket Wireless, Boost Mobile, and Verizon.

Republic Wireless has the Moto X, Moto G, and Moto E.

There's the entire Motorola Droid line (Maxx, Razr M, and Mini) from Verizon. I think Verizon is also supposed to get the Droid Turbo later on.

If I was GSM, I'd rather get it from moto directly. Better customization, no bloatware, and faster updates.

But I won't support Moto phones ever since the motorola photon fiasco.

mountainman15

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If I was GSM, I'd rather get it from moto directly. Better customization, no bloatware, and faster updates.

But I won't support Moto phones ever since the motorola photon fiasco.

Dude, you're missing out on some great phones because of one bad egg. Virtually every Android phone manufacturer has made a poor phone at some point. Give them another chance.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Dude, you're missing out on some great phones because of one bad egg. Virtually every Android phone manufacturer has made a poor phone at some point. Give them another chance.

I was promised ICS, Moto never delivered. For that, they lost a customer!!!!!

Samsung... well let's just say I had a Sprint Samsung GS1...... yeah Samsung hasn't changed much over the years.....

And texas instruments...... 16 years later and graphing calculators haven't even changed!!!! Why do kids even need graphing calculators when they have wolfram alpha/mathematica?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

$700 5.9" 1440P, 3 gb ram, 64 gb storage, snapdragon 805 motorola nexus 6 with updates from google
or
$350 5.5" 1080P , 3gb ram, 64 gb storage, snapdragon 801 one+ with updates from cyanogenmod.

One+ may be a new company, but cyanogenmod is a well known community. It's miles ahead of samsung when it comes to device support if you ask me (future updates.)

It's Red Delicious Apples to Granny Smith Green Apples.... Very similar in a few ways and yet very different in a lot of ways... In the tech world the 801 is old news and the 805 is the new hotness (even though the benefits are minimal at best) 5.9 inch is just bordering on insane for size... qHD is really over kill... It's going to look nicer I guess.... at least in theory and on paper.... Come March the 808 and 810 will be the rage and the 805 will be old news.... Such is technology....

Oneplus has been saying since like August they were going to be dumping the invite system "SOON" I started following them a while ago... I bought into the hype..... They can't really afford to sell 10 million devices at cost and then something go horribly wrong... a massive recall and they'd be bankrupt overnight.... Since they do sell at cost technically they are losing money.... They have R&D money invested in the product and the Oneplus 2 they are rumored to be working on.... If they plan to stay a viable company they will have to start selling the Oneplus 2 at around $500 (If the overall cost of the device is similar to the Oneplus One) They have to eventually make money.... and not pennies.. they have to make dollars....

I loved Cyanogenmod... It was by far my ROM of choice when I was rooted on both my EVO and my GS3... They put out an amazing product.. so much so Google was rumored to have offered them $1 billion to buy them out and they said no...

If you had to sink your life savings into a company would you sink it into Oneplus or Google? Cyanogenmod is awesome but it's still a modified version of stock android... For better or worse is another argument all together.... personally... I think they do some things right and they have somethings they need to work on...

You are not just paying for a device... when you spend your hard earned money you want something you KNOW has a solid backing and update future... Oneplus is great now but what about a year from now? two? five? (not that you'd still have a Oneplus one 5 years from now)

I am lucky enough to have disposable income.... Not unlimited but I would have gladly given Oneplus $350 back in June for a device... and then sold or traded it for the Nexus 6 if I didn't love it... (Although I would have missed wireless charging since I have 3 TYLT wireless chargers... two for home and one for work)

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It's Red Delicious Apples to Granny Smith Green Apples.... Very similar in a few ways and yet very different in a lot of ways... In the tech world the 801 is old news and the 805 is the new hotness (even though the benefits are minimal at best) 5.9 inch is just bordering on insane for size... qHD is really over kill... It's going to look nicer I guess.... at least in theory and on paper.... Come March the 808 and 810 will be the rage and the 805 will be old news.... Such is technology....

Oneplus has been saying since like August they were going to be dumping the invite system "SOON" I started following them a while ago... I bought into the hype..... They can't really afford to sell 10 million devices at cost and then something go horribly wrong... a massive recall and they'd be bankrupt overnight.... Since they do sell at cost technically they are losing money.... They have R&D money invested in the product and the Oneplus 2 they are rumored to be working on.... If they plan to stay a viable company they will have to start selling the Oneplus 2 at around $500 (If the overall cost of the device is similar to the Oneplus One) They have to eventually make money.... and not pennies.. they have to make dollars....

I loved Cyanogenmod... It was by far my ROM of choice when I was rooted on both my EVO and my GS3... They put out an amazing product.. so much so Google was rumored to have offered them $1 billion to buy them out and they said no...

If you had to sink your life savings into a company would you sink it into Oneplus or Google? Cyanogenmod is awesome but it's still a modified version of stock android... For better or worse is another argument all together.... personally... I think they do some things right and they have somethings they need to work on...

You are not just paying for a device... when you spend your hard earned money you want something you KNOW has a solid backing and update future... Oneplus is great now but what about a year from now? two? five? (not that you'd still have a Oneplus one 5 years from now)

I am lucky enough to have disposable income.... Not unlimited but I would have gladly given Oneplus $350 back in June for a device... and then sold or traded it for the Nexus 6 if I didn't love it... (Although I would have missed wireless charging since I have 3 TYLT wireless chargers... two for home and one for work)

Bro just spend 10 minutes in the google+ one+ community. you'll get an invite. I did and so did several others on AC.

Whether or not one+ stays afloat or not, cyanogenmod will still put out updates. Did google mess up before? oh yeah.... the galaxy nexus and TI....

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Bro just spend 10 minutes in the google+ one+ community. you'll get an invite. I did and so did several others on AC.

Whether or not one+ stays afloat or not, cyanogenmod will still put out updates. Did google mess up before? oh yeah.... the galaxy nexus and TI....

I eventually got an invite back in August... but after all the spam emails in the first month or two I just totally lost interest.... I've seen them pop up in my twitter feed almost daily.... That should tell you a little bit right there shouldn't it? Heck I see them on craigslist for $10 each here and there too... (Not to mention there are like 4 or 5 for sale on craigslist for what they retail for direct for one plus... Also tells you something)

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I eventually got an invite back in August... but after all the spam emails in the first month or two I just totally lost interest.... I've seen them pop up in my twitter feed almost daily.... That should tell you a little bit right there shouldn't it? Heck I see them on craigslist for $10 each here and there too... (Not to mention there are like 4 or 5 for sale on craigslist for what they retail for direct for one plus... Also tells you something)

You're missing out. I've gotten more updates from Cyanogenmod in the last month than I ever have with my old Samsung GS1.

The beauty of cyanogenmod is you can run it so it looks completely like a nexus/gpe phone thanks to google now launcher and the ability to change themes easily.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

or

Google pricing the Nexus 6 at $650 makes sense | Android | Geek.com

The same goes for phones like the inexplicably cheap OnePlus One or the Huawei Ascend Mate2. These aren’t phones that are being built intentionally to cut corners, in fact for the most part these are all fantastic handsets worthy of being called flagships. The fact that they all come in at under $400 is based on a decision to sell the phone at as close to the cost as possible, largely so the phone can compete with the likes of Google and Motorola in spaces where the Nexus 5 and Moto G are so popular. As nice as it may be to assume these companies are doing this out of kindness, at the end of the day it’s an unsustainable race to the bottom, and Google has pulled out of the race before things got ugly.