To me, the support from dev community, custom ROMs, kernels and mods, is one of the big advantages of a Nexus. I've rooted and rom'd nearly every phone I've owned, and custom ROMs never run 100% stable on anything else, this is due to the nature of Android and proprietary drivers.

L is amazing, but once the dev get their hand on it, it will get even more features. Just look at what cool things custom ROMs add to Android today. Running custom kernels to increase battery life, rooms to add features, that is the true customizability of Android.

And what I'm hoping for - one device, one rom for all carriers.
    10-19-2014 03:00 PM

And what I'm hoping for - one device, one rom for all carriers.
    This essentially is how it is in the Nexus 5 Development forums. I expect the same for the Nexus 6
    10-19-2014 03:12 PM
    I've rooted all of my phones also. The development is what matters to me the most( behind screen size). I'm not too excited for Lollipop, because most of the features that I see, I already have with the Mahdi rom for the Lg g2. I'm mainly in it for screen size.
    10-19-2014 06:51 PM
    Yeah, rooting and being able to do a lot of extra stuff is a big deal to me. I've gotten away from custom ROMs, though, and tend to prefer stock Android ROMs, while using Xposed and Gravity Box to give me all the tweaks I like. Unfortunately, Xposed doesn't work with ART, and from the sounds of it, it might be a long time before Xposed works on Android L (if it ever does).
    10-19-2014 07:16 PM
    Zero. KitKat removed my last reasons to even root my phone. I've haven't ROM'd a phone since 4.2. I've used Android since the OG Droid, and I was a ROM flashing fanatic (2-3 flashes a week MINIMUM). However, I just don't see the point (beyond very specific fringe cases) anymore. Stock is so fast, so stable, and so feature rich. Those were why I used to flash and root. Faster, more stable, more features.
    Storm24 and Crimsonforce like this.
    10-20-2014 06:56 AM
    Jdev, you summed up my thoughts exactly, I couldn't agree more.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Crimsonforce likes this.
    10-20-2014 07:21 AM
    Even if it doesn't matter to you it is inevitable since it is a Nexus. The main thing I like about Nexus device is they tend to support Multirom, so you can multiboot different OSes on it. People like to talk about dualbooting, but it's been available with Nexus devices for a long time via Multiroom.
    10-20-2014 08:54 AM
    Even if it doesn't matter to you it is inevitable since it is a Nexus. The main thing I like about Nexus device is they tend to support Multirom, so you can multiboot different OSes on it. People like to talk about dualbooting, but it's been available with Nexus devices for a long time via Multiroom.
    I agree with this, but it also isn't an answer to the question OP asked. He did not ask whether or not we thought there would be developer support, just whether or not it mattered to us. I have no doubt that the Nexus 6 will have excellent support over at XDA, I just don't care.
    10-20-2014 09:41 AM
    I look for developer support too. nexus gets the best support of all devices out there.

My nexus S is running Kitkat and it works without any issue. I am sure it will get Android L.
    I expect the same support for nexus 6
    10-20-2014 01:15 PM