How Many Apps Are Required on Nexus?

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
With a Nexus phones, are you required to have Google Play Books, Google Play Games, Google Play Movies & TV, Google Play Music and Google Play Newsstand? These are apps that are currently required on my Samsung phone and I don't want them but can't uninstall them without rooting.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
None of the apps are "required," but they are pre-installed and not user-uninstallable. You can, however, hide and/or disable them. The suite of Google apps (the ones you mentioned plus Gmail, Google Search, etc.) being preinstalled is the mark that a device has been certified by Google (access to Gapps), and of course you have them on your Nexus device as well.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Don't mean to be snotty, but how is this different from Samsung's pre-installed and not user-uninstallable apps? Folks pick on Samsung for adding 'features' that you can't get rid of. Mind you, with Nexus, I'll only have one set of apps I don't want, but still...

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
So that is certainly a valid point. The biggest complain against Samsung, though, is that their apps are much heavier on storage and system resources, makes the system slower than it has to be (even if you don't notice it), and often duplicate features that already come with a Google certified Android phone. For example, there is no need for S Voice when Google Now is already there - it's redundant. There is significantly less complaints about Motorola's modifications to Android, for instance, because people feel like their modifications are less intrusive and more enhancing.

Everything in Android is an app. When your phone boots up, you see the launcher. That's an app. Your phone is an app. You text using an app. Heck, even "Settings" is an app. So it's not possible for you to have a version of Android without any apps. There is no clear definition of "bloatware"... and what is an enhancement to one person can easily feel like bloatware to someone else.

Ikeman90

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Its different because we don't pick on samsung for having a mail app etc we pick on Samsung for using over 8gb in system files. the gapps are minimal in size and are apps the average person will use quite often. samsung has loads of apps such as chaton. i havnt meet a person yet who uses that.

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Google preinstalls Google apps. Samsung reskins the entire OS and adds a plethora of "features" almost nobody uses, in addition to the Samsung apps and carrier apps.

It is a huge difference.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12