How will "Stock Android" on the Nexus 6 make the experience more than "Lollipop on a bigger screen"?

for3nsicguy

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
How will "Stock Android" on the Nexus 6 make the experience more than "Lollipop on a bigger screen"?

This is NOT a "it's too big" gripe on the Nexus 6...at all. I have no problem whatsoever with larger phones and in some ways prefer them. What I am interested in is if the 6" screen in the Nexus 6 will incorporate some feature or functionality that will make the experience more than "Lollipop on a bigger screen". Are there any features coming in Android 5.0 Lollipop that are designed to make use of or add any functionality to displays this large?

Let's head this off at the pass right now...there is almost nothing in the realm of mobile technology I hate more than the abomination that is TouchWiz. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and I understand there are many who like Samsung devices and TouchWiz. I have to give the Samsung Note Series one thing though: The Note Series incorporates features and functionality that make the experience more than "Android on a bigger screen". In that use case...they hit it out of the park.

If the Nexus 6 is nothing more than "Lollipop on a big screen"...the 32GB Moto X 2014 is 87% of the Nexus 6 screen size at 85% of the price.

neutron

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: How will "Stock Android" on the Nexus 6 make the experience more than "Lollipop on a bigger scre

With 1/3 of an adequate battery.

for3nsicguy

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: How will "Stock Android" on the Nexus 6 make the experience more than "Lollipop on a bigger scre

72%, of the battery, to be exact.

Posted via the Android Central App

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

So... I have a Note3. And I can say that rarely do I use the multitasking features of it. And I mostly use a launcher that mirrors the Nexus.

So, L on a bigger screen works for me. My only beef is that without root and xposed, my bigger screen is filled with bigger icons. So as long as they address that in stock (which I can never see in demos because no one ever opens the app drawer) I'm a happy camper. I won't miss the multi screen which is all I used that was touch wiz based.

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

This is NOT a "it's too big" gripe on the Nexus 6...at all. I have no problem whatsoever with larger phones and in some ways prefer them. What I am interested in is if the 6" screen in the Nexus 6 will incorporate some feature or functionality that will make the experience more than "Lollipop on a bigger screen". Are there any features coming in Android 5.0 Lollipop that are designed to make use of or add any functionality to displays this large?

Let's head this off at the pass right now...there is almost nothing in the realm of mobile technology I hate more than the abomination that is TouchWiz. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and I understand there are many who like Samsung devices and TouchWiz. I have to give the Samsung Note Series one thing though: The Note Series incorporates features and functionality that make the experience more than "Android on a bigger screen". In that use case...they hit it out of the park.

If the Nexus 6 is nothing more than "Lollipop on a big screen"...the 32GB Moto X 2014 is 87% of the Nexus 6 screen size at 85% of the price.

I agree. There aren't any multitasking features like on the Note series with the Nexus. Just a bigger screen. Almost like the iPhone 6+. Not in terms of features but having a bigger screen isn't adding anything to the experience other than a bigger screen.

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

what kind of features do you want it to do? i dont think the note does anything spectacular, and i have one. it has a pen, and does some multiwindow, but i dont think thats all that amazing or needed. i dont need a phone to do anything fancy just because it has a big screen. i like it just because its a big screen.

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

I don't know what features I want it to do. I think they should do what engineers and creative people do, innovate, create something. But it's not cool when people say "well if you don't know what features you want then you should leave it be". I do think Samsung is at least trying, multitasking, the edge screen, etc. These are at least attempts to use the screen space for another purpose other than videos.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

I don't know what features I want it to do. I think they should do what engineers and creative people do, innovate, create something. But it's not cool when people say "well if you don't know what features you want then you should leave it be". I do think Samsung is at least trying, multitasking, the edge screen, etc. These are at least attempts to use the screen space for another purpose other than videos.

This is a good point; at least they're trying. Kinda like you won't know a market exists until you actually create it.

Generally, a larger size would benefit videos, gaming, and web browsing (don't have to scroll around as much). I'm looking forward to have all that extra space. In terms of features unique to a larger size, I can't really think of anything other than side-by-side multitasking.

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

This is a good point; at least they're trying. Kinda like you won't know a market exists until you actually create it.

Generally, a larger size would benefit videos, gaming, and web browsing (don't have to scroll around as much). I'm looking forward to have all that extra space. In terms of features unique to a larger size, I can't really think of anything other than side-by-side multitasking.

thats my point. I like the big screen just for the big screen. so im not squinting at a tiny little screen while im browsing the web, or on forums, or reddit. i dont need the screen for any fancy features, besides not straining my eyes.

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

That's true. I can't think of any either. We use laptops and tablets and only do one thing at a time on them so yeah... idk. Well maybe we don't. I mean we all use browsers and have a million tabs open. Maybe something that remedies that or using YouTube and doing something else. Reading something or referencing something while you are watching a video.

I like the idea of the edge screen because it does give you like a taskbar type thing or dock for your phone. I don't know of any other manufacturer that is trying to find another use for the large screens other than samsung. I hate to keep bringing them up.

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

sure multitasking is nice, if you actually use it. i thought it was super cool when i heard about it, but at the end of the day, ive never used it again past the first week i had the phone. which im sure most casual users havent either.

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

The day you can quit the youtube app and the sound from the video still plays is true innovation

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Get a blackberry then.

If I wanted to go backwards I would indeed revive my crackberry account ! .. But I'm trying to move forward here sir

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site

If I wanted to go backwards I would indeed revive my crackberry account ! .. But I'm trying to move forward here sir

LOL, blackberry 10 does have some killer features.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

I agree. There aren't any multitasking features like on the Note series with the Nexus. Just a bigger screen. Almost like the iPhone 6+. Not in terms of features but having a bigger screen isn't adding anything to the experience other than a bigger screen.

The 6+ does seem to take limited advantage of the bigger screen however. Probably more than the Nexus 6

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

Google has been experimenting with multi window at the OS level but it isn't ready for release. The hooks are there, though, so it may show up a few months after the Lollipop release.

It may not, but at least we know the concept is on their minds.

for3nsicguy

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I haven't been able to find any solid information about Lollipop or the Nexus 6 that points to software or features that are designed to take advantage of the extra screen real estate. About a year ago there were a couple of reports about a very half baked multi-window or split screen reference in "Nexus Android"...but nothing other than that.

The point of this post was to find out if there was any knowledge about whether these types of features existed or not. The debate over whether they should or not is great...but peripheral at best. The bottom line is that, of all the people who would not purchase the Nexus 6 because of it's size, very few of them would likely change their mind because of a "Feature".

As for me...I'm all in on the Nexus 6. It checks every box for every feature in every category on my list of wants and needs. The only "negative" I have been able to come up with is the size, which I think will end up being a positive in the near future. My 2012 Nexus 7 won't last forever and with a 6" phone I could certainly see the 7" tablet getting very little use.

dankev

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I don't have multiple windows open on one screen on my 13" laptop because it doesn't feel like enough space. I sure as heck don't feel like the 5.5" screen on my Note is big enough for multiple windows. However, my 13" laptop is a lot easier to read on because it's WAY bigger. That's how I feel about phone screens. Being bigger makes it easier to read (or watch video) on. I don't need multiple windows on the screen, I just need a quick way to swap between apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7