Returned Note 4, BRING ON THE NEXUS 6

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Note 4 on Launch day but I couldnt commit to Sammys touchwhiz and slight lag. I was coming from N5 and I thought Id give Samsung another try after S4, but Im too used to googles stock android running smooth with no lag that I couldnt get used to Sammys slight delays between certain things. Definitely a great phone though if you can get past the small software hiccups, but I realized Im Nexus 4 life :cool:

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
What hiccups ... There isn't lag any more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing, however I started a thread on te Note 4 forums (http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/452864-just-me-does-note-4-lag.html). Its just small half second jitters. For some its not much but it annoyed the crap out of me because on stock android the transitions are different and so it 'appears' the phone is more responsive. This aside, It really was a great phone, but just not the phone for me. Great features. If the N6 disappoints I may go back to Note 4, who knows. If you want to see the problems I faced you can click the link to the thread.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I thought the same thing, however I started a thread on te Note 4 forums (http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/452864-just-me-does-note-4-lag.html). Its just small half second jitters. For some its not much but it annoyed the crap out of me because on stock android the transitions are different and so it 'appears' the phone is more responsive. It really was a great phone. If you want to see the problems I faced you can click the link to the thread.

I've used the nexus 5 and there's no lag difference with the note 3 or 4

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Oh there lag in the note 4, some areas worse than others.

If you're using the regular camera app, take a pic and then try to view the pic you just took from that screen. There is a horrible delay until your pic shows up. Maybe 3-4 seconds but it seems like forever.

It makes taking quick pics and viewing them impossible

Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

If you're using the regular camera app, take a pic and then try to view the pic you just took from that screen. There is a horrible delay until your pic shows up. Maybe 3-4 seconds but it seems like forever.

PREACH! lol that was one of the main problems

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I don't notice or don't care either way non issue

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

If you dont notice or dont care then that is fine for you, but that is kind of what the definition of lag is. If you dont mind the lag, then the Note 4 is a absolutely beast of a phone for you. Just not for me.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
If you dont notice or dont care then that is fine for you, but that is kind of what the definition of lag is. If you dont mind the lag, then the Note 4 is a absolutely beast of a phone for you. Just not for me.

I still wouldn't call it lag ....

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I still wouldn't call it lag ....

Unless Samsung decided to intentionally implement a pause that is longer than should be required given its hardware in order to perhaps give users the joyous experience of heightened anticipation, it's lag. Would you prefer the phrase "contemplative straggling?"

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Unless Samsung decided to intentionally implement a pause that is longer than should be required given its hardware in order to perhaps give users the joyous experience of heightened anticipation, it's lag. Would you prefer the phrase "contemplative straggling?"

It takes the same amount of time on the nexus 5 and also the iPad Air 2 that I have . And if I remember about the same for the iPhone 4 when I had it

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
It takes the same amount of time on the nexus 5 and also the iPad Air 2 that I have . And if I remember about the same for the iPhone 4 when I had it

I can't speak to the Note 4 and I've never used one (other than toying with one at a store briefly), but the with HDR+ on, my Nexus 5 (stock) takes about 1 second to take the picture, and after it does you can swipe left and immediately view the image (though it is still completing HDR processing). With HDR+ off, the photo snaps immediately and is visible as quickly as you can swipe left.

Mac58, did you have HDR mode on when you noticed the delay? Perhaps it won't display the picture until that processing is complete... If so, try turning it off and see if you still have a delay.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

May be an non-issue for you. But please don't assume it's an non-issue for everyone too. it is a major issue for me and probably other people.

If you have little kids you'd understand. They may be doing something hilarious or cute and you want to catch that moment but worried the pic you just took is blurred.

If there was no lag I could quickly look at the pic, decide if it's satisfactory or if I need to retake more pics. But instead I have to compensate for this lag by taking a bunch of pics all at once and then later go back and see which ones were actually decent.

I should not have to change how I take pics bec of some damn lag in viewing my pics...

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
May be an non-issue for you. But please don't assume it's an non-issue for everyone too. it is a major issue for me and probably other people.

If you have little kids you'd understand. They may be doing something hilarious or cute and you want to catch that moment but worried the pic you just took is blurred.

If there was no lag I could quickly look at the pic, decide if it's satisfactory or if I need to retake more pics. But instead I have to compensate for this lag by taking a bunch of pics all at once and then later go back and see which ones were actually decent.

I should not have to change how I take pics bec of some damn lag in viewing my pics...

There is no difference between every other phone ive used .... ( have a 3 year old niece and no issue there taking pics)

galatians51

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

This is so true. I have a Note 3 and children as well. Was going to upgrade to the 4, and tested taking pictures of my kids in Best Buy with it. Impossible. Blur city. Either I have really fast kids or the Note 4 lags, or both. Either way it is completely unacceptable, as my wife has a Nexus 5 and there is zero lag. I can't imagine what the N6 will be like with all the hardware upgrades from the N5.
I don't really care about the sensor debate between the N6 and the Note 4 at this point, if you have kids then the Note 4 will give you blurry pics if they are at all active.
I call it lag.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak to the Note 4 and I've never used one (other than toying with one at a store briefly), but the with HDR+ on, my Nexus 5 (stock) takes about 1 second to take the picture, and after it does you can swipe left and immediately view the image (though it is still completing HDR processing). With HDR+ off, the photo snaps immediately and is visible as quickly as you can swipe left.

Mac58, did you have HDR mode on when you noticed the delay? Perhaps it won't display the picture until that processing is complete... If so, try turning it off and see if you still have a delay.

No the HDR was not on. It happened with the Auto mode on. Im sure it was a software glitch that will hopefully get straightened out with their next update but it was a full second if not longer between snapping the photo and being able to view it.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
This is so true. I have a Note 3 and children as well. Was going to upgrade to the 4, and tested taking pictures of my kids in Best Buy with it. Impossible. Blur city. Either I have really fast kids or the Note 4 lags, or both. Either way it is completely unacceptable, as my wife has a Nexus 5 and there is zero lag. I can't imagine what the N6 will be like with all the hardware upgrades from the N5.
I don't really care about the sensor debate between the N6 and the Note 4 at this point, if you have kids then the Note 4 will give you blurry pics if they are at all active.
I call it lag.

Posted via the Android Central App

I have an active niece and the pictures aren't blurry at all ....

ucsdsig

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Note 4 on Launch day but I couldnt commit to Sammys touchwhiz and slight lag. I was coming from N5 and I thought Id give Samsung another try after S4, but Im too used to googles stock android running smooth with no lag that I couldnt get used to Sammys slight delays between certain things. Definitely a great phone though if you can get past the small software hiccups, but I realized Im Nexus 4 life :cool:

I'm strongly considering returning my Note 4 and getting the N6. I've previously owned the Note 2 & 3, so I'm a fan of the Note series. The ability to root and Android L are definite pros for the N6. I would definitely miss the SD card and removable battery on the Note, but would be able to manage.

The only potential deal breaker will be the camera performance. The Note 4 takes great pics, a definite improvement over my Note 3. Not sure how the N6's camera will compare. Am looking forward to some detailed reviews to start popping up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy