11-05-2014 12:23 PM
135 123 ...
tools
    I bought the Note 4 on Launch day but I couldnt commit to Sammys touchwhiz and slight lag. I was coming from N5 and I thought Id give Samsung another try after S4, but Im too used to googles stock android running smooth with no lag that I couldnt get used to Sammys slight delays between certain things. Definitely a great phone though if you can get past the small software hiccups, but I realized Im Nexus 4 life
    HawaiianLaker, qnet and wnflyer like this.
    10-26-2014 09:37 PM
    What hiccups ... There isn't lag any more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-26-2014 09:38 PM
    What hiccups ... There isn't lag any more

I thought the same thing, however I started a thread on te Note 4 forums (http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ote-4-lag.html). Its just small half second jitters. For some its not much but it annoyed the crap out of me because on stock android the transitions are different and so it 'appears' the phone is more responsive. This aside, It really was a great phone, but just not the phone for me. Great features. If the N6 disappoints I may go back to Note 4, who knows. If you want to see the problems I faced you can click the link to the thread.
    mchi5 likes this.
    10-26-2014 09:47 PM
    I thought the same thing, however I started a thread on te Note 4 forums (http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ote-4-lag.html). Its just small half second jitters. For some its not much but it annoyed the crap out of me because on stock android the transitions are different and so it 'appears' the phone is more responsive. It really was a great phone. If you want to see the problems I faced you can click the link to the thread.
    I've used the nexus 5 and there's no lag difference with the note 3 or 4

10-26-2014 09:48 PM
    Oh there lag in the note 4, some areas worse than others.

If you're using the regular camera app, take a pic and then try to view the pic you just took from that screen. There is a horrible delay until your pic shows up. Maybe 3-4 seconds but it seems like forever.

It makes taking quick pics and viewing them impossible

Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk
    Mac58, Hasbrobot and LegalAmerican like this.
    10-26-2014 09:58 PM

If you're using the regular camera app, take a pic and then try to view the pic you just took from that screen. There is a horrible delay until your pic shows up. Maybe 3-4 seconds but it seems like forever.

PREACH! lol that was one of the main problems
    mchi5 likes this.
    10-26-2014 10:17 PM

I don't notice or don't care either way non issue

msndrstood and predator519 like this.
    10-26-2014 10:20 PM

If you dont notice or dont care then that is fine for you, but that is kind of what the definition of lag is. If you dont mind the lag, then the Note 4 is a absolutely beast of a phone for you. Just not for me.
    10-26-2014 10:21 PM
    If you dont notice or dont care then that is fine for you, but that is kind of what the definition of lag is. If you dont mind the lag, then the Note 4 is a absolutely beast of a phone for you. Just not for me.
    I still wouldn't call it lag ....

10-26-2014 10:22 PM
    I still wouldn't call it lag ....

Unless Samsung decided to intentionally implement a pause that is longer than should be required given its hardware in order to perhaps give users the joyous experience of heightened anticipation, it's lag. Would you prefer the phrase "contemplative straggling?"
    10-26-2014 10:43 PM
    It's lag... Same reason I'm dumping my S5...

From my Moto X
    10-26-2014 10:44 PM
    Unless Samsung decided to intentionally implement a pause that is longer than should be required given its hardware in order to perhaps give users the joyous experience of heightened anticipation, it's lag. Would you prefer the phrase "contemplative straggling?"
    It takes the same amount of time on the nexus 5 and also the iPad Air 2 that I have . And if I remember about the same for the iPhone 4 when I had it

10-26-2014 10:45 PM
    It takes the same amount of time on the nexus 5 and also the iPad Air 2 that I have . And if I remember about the same for the iPhone 4 when I had it

I can't speak to the Note 4 and I've never used one (other than toying with one at a store briefly), but the with HDR+ on, my Nexus 5 (stock) takes about 1 second to take the picture, and after it does you can swipe left and immediately view the image (though it is still completing HDR processing). With HDR+ off, the photo snaps immediately and is visible as quickly as you can swipe left.

Mac58, did you have HDR mode on when you noticed the delay? Perhaps it won't display the picture until that processing is complete... If so, try turning it off and see if you still have a delay.
    mchi5 likes this.
    10-26-2014 10:51 PM

May be an non-issue for you. But please don't assume it's an non-issue for everyone too. it is a major issue for me and probably other people.

If you have little kids you'd understand. They may be doing something hilarious or cute and you want to catch that moment but worried the pic you just took is blurred.

If there was no lag I could quickly look at the pic, decide if it's satisfactory or if I need to retake more pics. But instead I have to compensate for this lag by taking a bunch of pics all at once and then later go back and see which ones were actually decent.

I should not have to change how I take pics bec of some damn lag in viewing my pics...

10-26-2014 11:13 PM
    May be an non-issue for you. But please don't assume it's an non-issue for everyone too. it is a major issue for me and probably other people.

If you have little kids you'd understand. They may be doing something hilarious or cute and you want to catch that moment but worried the pic you just took is blurred.

If there was no lag I could quickly look at the pic, decide if it's satisfactory or if I need to retake more pics. But instead I have to compensate for this lag by taking a bunch of pics all at once and then later go back and see which ones were actually decent.

I should not have to change how I take pics bec of some damn lag in viewing my pics...

There is no difference between every other phone ive used .... ( have a 3 year old niece and no issue there taking pics)

10-26-2014 11:14 PM

This is so true. I have a Note 3 and children as well. Was going to upgrade to the 4, and tested taking pictures of my kids in Best Buy with it. Impossible. Blur city. Either I have really fast kids or the Note 4 lags, or both. Either way it is completely unacceptable, as my wife has a Nexus 5 and there is zero lag. I can't imagine what the N6 will be like with all the hardware upgrades from the N5.
    I don't really care about the sensor debate between the N6 and the Note 4 at this point, if you have kids then the Note 4 will give you blurry pics if they are at all active.
    I call it lag.

Posted via the Android Central App
    mchi5 likes this.
    10-27-2014 06:13 AM
    It's lag... Same reason I'm dumping my S5...

From my Moto X
    I,ll the all the nexus 6,s that you will cheat on them!!!!!!!!
    10-27-2014 07:12 AM
    I can't speak to the Note 4 and I've never used one (other than toying with one at a store briefly), but the with HDR+ on, my Nexus 5 (stock) takes about 1 second to take the picture, and after it does you can swipe left and immediately view the image (though it is still completing HDR processing). With HDR+ off, the photo snaps immediately and is visible as quickly as you can swipe left.

Mac58, did you have HDR mode on when you noticed the delay? Perhaps it won't display the picture until that processing is complete... If so, try turning it off and see if you still have a delay.
    No the HDR was not on. It happened with the Auto mode on. Im sure it was a software glitch that will hopefully get straightened out with their next update but it was a full second if not longer between snapping the photo and being able to view it.
    10-27-2014 07:31 AM
    This is so true. I have a Note 3 and children as well. Was going to upgrade to the 4, and tested taking pictures of my kids in Best Buy with it. Impossible. Blur city. Either I have really fast kids or the Note 4 lags, or both. Either way it is completely unacceptable, as my wife has a Nexus 5 and there is zero lag. I can't imagine what the N6 will be like with all the hardware upgrades from the N5.
    I don't really care about the sensor debate between the N6 and the Note 4 at this point, if you have kids then the Note 4 will give you blurry pics if they are at all active.
    I call it lag.

I have an active niece and the pictures aren't blurry at all ....

10-27-2014 07:37 AM
    I bought the Note 4 on Launch day but I couldnt commit to Sammys touchwhiz and slight lag. I was coming from N5 and I thought Id give Samsung another try after S4, but Im too used to googles stock android running smooth with no lag that I couldnt get used to Sammys slight delays between certain things. Definitely a great phone though if you can get past the small software hiccups, but I realized Im Nexus 4 life
    I'm strongly considering returning my Note 4 and getting the N6. I've previously owned the Note 2 & 3, so I'm a fan of the Note series. The ability to root and Android L are definite pros for the N6. I would definitely miss the SD card and removable battery on the Note, but would be able to manage.

The only potential deal breaker will be the camera performance. The Note 4 takes great pics, a definite improvement over my Note 3. Not sure how the N6's camera will compare. Am looking forward to some detailed reviews to start popping up.
    mchi5 and pcsperson like this.
    10-27-2014 10:35 AM
    I'm strongly considering returning my Note 4 and getting the N6. I've previously owned the Note 2 & 3, so I'm a fan of the Note series. The ability to root and Android L are definite pros for the N6. I would definitely miss the SD card and removable battery on the Note, but would be able to manage.

The only potential deal breaker will be the camera performance. The Note 4 takes great pics, a definite improvement over my Note 3. Not sure how the N6's camera will compare. Am looking forward to some detailed reviews to start popping up.
    Man that's exactly where I'm at right now

If we were to return the note 4, how does that work? We have 14 days to use before returning? For instance I got my Note 4 at best buy. I just go there and return it? . Sorry never had to return a cell phone before. I got it on the 17, so I have until the 31 to decide to keep it or return it... . And the pre-order for nexus 6 starts Oct 29. Decisions, decisions....

Been looking at the specs of the nexus 6 on the Google play store. Very tempting. One question the home and back buttons are onscreen on the nexus 6 instead of physical buttons like the note 4. . Wonder if this is a good thing? It takes up some of the screen real estate

10-27-2014 10:51 AM
    Man that's exactly where I'm at right now

If we were to return the note 4, how does that work? We have 14 days to use before returning? For instance I got my Note 4 at best buy. I just go there and return it? . Sorry never had to return a cell phone before. I got it on the 17, so I have until the 31 to decide to keep it or return it... . And the pre-order for nexus 6 starts Oct 29. Decisions, decisions....

Been looking at the specs of the nexus 6 on the Google play store. Very tempting. One question the home and back buttons are onscreen on the nexus 6 instead of physical buttons like the note 4. . Wonder if this is a good thing? It takes up some of the screen real estate

Glad I'm not the only one. Don't get me wrong, I like the Note 4 a lot (especially the camera). But I'm on VZW, so who knows how long it'll take to obtain root or Android L.

I also bought from Best Buy. So 14 days to return the device. Should be no issues, as long as the phone is in good shape. The issue will be how Best Buy handles the $200 smartphone trade-in credit. I've heard that since this was a Samsung promo specific to the Note 4, we won't be able to get back the $200 credit.
    mchi5 likes this.
    10-27-2014 11:00 AM
    Is the bloatware causing the lag in note 4 ? if so if you root and delete that crap would it stop ?
    10-27-2014 11:03 AM
    The Nexus 6 comes out after my return period so I returned my Note 4 and am using an old Nexus 4 for now. I want to be able to compare the Note 4 and Nexus 6 after the Nexus 6 has actual reviews, not just 5 minutes of hands on time. Had I kept the Note 4 and decided I like the Nexus 6 more I would have been pissed since I bought it outright.

If the Nexus 6 doesn't do it for me I'll just get another Note 4. I don't think that will be the case, though. I hate Touchwiz, I don't carry extra batteries, I don't use SD cards, I have no real use for the S Pen, etc. The only reasons I like the Note series is battery life and screen size and the Nexus 6 should meet both those needs just fine. I'll miss multi window in some situations, but it is hardly deal breaking.

Regarding lag, I had some on the Note 4 as well. The same picture stuff you guys are talking about, as well as super noticeable delays when pulling up the app switcher and some other things. It wasn't enough to make me hate the experience, but it was certainly noticeable.

mchi5 likes this.
    10-27-2014 11:36 AM
    Glad I'm not the only one. Don't get me wrong, I like the Note 4 a lot (especially the camera). But I'm on VZW, so who knows how long it'll take to obtain root or Android L.

I also bought from Best Buy. So 14 days to return the device. Should be no issues, as long as the phone is in good shape. The issue will be how Best Buy handles the $200 smartphone trade-in credit. I've heard that since this was a Samsung promo specific to the Note 4, we won't be able to get back the $200 credit.
    And I'm on AT&T and heard there may never be a root, since something like the bootloader is locked? Excuse me if I'm confusing my terminology but I was able to root the note 3 AND miss that on the note 4

Is not concerned about the $200 trade in credit. I bought the note 4 outright, and traded in my Note 3 for $250 store credit

Only thing I worry about is if I trade in my Note 4, I won't have any phone for a while. Since I'm grandfathered in for unlimited data with AT&T, would I lose that?

10-27-2014 11:43 AM
135 123 ...