I've heard the Playstore's warranty is better than buying the Nexus 6 elsewhere. What makes the warranty better?

Posted via Android Central App
    11-01-2014 08:43 PM
    Amazon FTW
    11-01-2014 08:56 PM
    What makes Amazon better?

11-01-2014 09:02 PM
    The Return window
    11-01-2014 10:50 PM
    My experience with Googles costumer service was top notch. I had the Nexus 5 with the official bumper case, took it out to clean all the lint around the case and noticed the volume rocker was cracked. I had never dropped the phone and did not notice since the crack did not affect the function. After 2 emails with their costumer service they sent me an RMA # and had a new phone a couple days later.
    11-01-2014 11:02 PM
    I've heard the Playstore's warranty is better than buying the Nexus 6 elsewhere. What makes the warranty better?

The actual warranty is the same. The difference would lie in how they handle the processing.

If there's an issue that is determined by the Google support rep, over the phone (and you can reach a live rep usually in 1-2 minutes, though right now they're flooded w/ questions about the Nexus 6/9 in general), they will send a replacement device generally via 1- or 2-day shipping, and provide a pre-paid return shipping label to send the defective one back (though they do put require a credit card authorization hold in the full price of the device until the defective unit is returned). Can't really get any better than that.

But... Looking at Motorola's site, it appears their policy may be pretty close. I looked up their policy on the Moto X 2nd gen since it's pretty much the Nexus 6's brother, and they also ship a replacement in advance, though you may need to pay return shipping. They also require a much smaller authorization hold (I think it was something like $250 for the X).

If that's the case, there isn't much of a benefit either way (as far as warranty processing).

I know that when I had an issue with my Nexus 7 (2012) which I'd bought from Best Buy, I had to actually ship it off to an Asus repair center, which took about 2 weeks to turn it around.

Also worth noting that, while it was certainly an exception to any normal rule, Google offered free (including 2-way shipping) replacements for Nexus 5 devices recently even if the user had cracked the screen, provided it had been purchased from the Play store. Not something one could ever expect from the OEM.
    royfripple likes this.
    11-01-2014 11:08 PM
    I had my Nexus go bad this year, called Google, and they simply sent a new one and asked me to send them the defective one. They did put a hold on my CC. It was still within warranty.
    11-03-2014 12:11 PM
    So, is Google's a separate warranty or is it included? I see on Motorola's site they have a Moto Care Accident Protection as a purchased product within 30 days of purchase.
    11-04-2014 11:34 AM
    So, is Google's a separate warranty or is it included? I see on Motorola's site they have a Moto Care Accident Protection as a purchased product within 30 days of purchase.
    The warranty is the same, but Google has typically acted as a warranty service center for devices purchased directly from the Play store. Meaning that if you have an issue, they diagnose it with you over the phone and, upon determination of an issue being under warranty, arrange a free-to-customer advance replacement. Motorola's warranty on most of their smartphones appears to be quite similar in operation (though it's possible Google might be a little less stringent in their decisions of what does and does not fall under coverage).
    11-04-2014 11:53 AM
    Jeremy8000, sorry to be so thick-headed, but are you saying Google and Motorola's warranties are included..free? I ask because Motorola has a paid one on their site, and I can't find anything about Google's other then them saying to refer to Motorola's warranty.
    11-04-2014 08:07 PM
    Jeremy8000, sorry to be so thick-headed, but are you saying Google and Motorola's warranties are included..free? I ask because Motorola has a paid one on their site, and I can't find anything about Google's other then them saying to refer to Motorola's warranty.
    Google will take care of Nexus products purchased directly from the Play store (source)

Google Nexus 6 Playstore Warranty-capture.jpg

If you didn't buy it from Play, you'll have to go through Motorola.

Copy of Motorola Mobility's Limited Global Warranty for Smartphones

No telling for sure exactly how their specific handling of Nexus 6 warranty issues will go, but worth noting the following which they list for the Moto X (maybe others too, but this is the one I looked up because it's pretty similar):

Google Nexus 6 Playstore Warranty-capture.jpg (source)

They have a 'premium' extended care program you can purchase which extends the original warranty from 1 year to 2, is a bit more extensive in coverage, and covers against some accidental damage. Also has a deductible to send in under that program.
    AnnDroid likes this.
    11-04-2014 09:37 PM
    Motorola offers one free screen replacement if you accidentally break your screen. Will the Nexus 6 get this treatment?

11-04-2014 11:17 PM
    Motorola offers one free screen replacement if you accidentally break your screen. Will the Nexus 6 get this treatment?

That offer was only extended on select phones purchased directly from Motorola, from what I can find. Motorola's global warranty expressly states that physical damage to the phone is not covered, so unless they state a specific exception, the answer will be no - and they haven't made such a statement as of this time.
    11-04-2014 11:54 PM
    I am hoping that Google extends the same courtesy they are extending to Nexus 5 owners.

I recently dropped my Nexus 5 and shattered the screen. While they were very careful to point out that the warranty does not cover such mishaps, they replaced my handset for free. As reported in the media, the guidelines seem to be if you purchased from the US Play store and the breakage occurs within one year.

I'll likely buy my Nexus 6 from Google in the hopes they extend the same courtesy with this device.
    11-05-2014 07:13 AM
    I'll likely buy my Nexus 6 from Google in the hopes they extend the same courtesy with this device.
    That's it. I have been to their warranty page. I find no details. I would like to read the warranty. I have heard that Google has been generous with their warranty, but I would like to read the warranty to know the basic coverage.
    11-05-2014 07:30 AM
    That's it. I have been to their warranty page. I find no details. I would like to read the warranty. I have heard that Google has been generous with their warranty, but I would like to read the warranty to know the basic coverage.
    Google's Nexus 6 support page.

What Google offered with the Nexus 5 was an 'above and beyond' type of service - something that would ordinarily only be done with some sort of 'premium' protection. That being said, some OEM's have been testing the waters with this type of service (HTC, Motorola).

It's not something they offered with the Nexus 4, 7('12), or 7('13), and they said they were doing it for a limited time on the 5. I wouldn't make the decision to buy the Nexus 6 from them solely on that expectation, though Google does have a proven history of exceptional customer service on all of those devices.
    11-05-2014 08:52 AM