Google Nexus 6 Why are the carriers so clueless?

lildj0809

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I went to AT&T and T-Mobile today to ask about plan pricing and see if they had any more information regarding the N6. The girl at the first AT&T store didn't know what a Nexus phone was. The two guys at TM didn't know anything about November 12. The guy helping me asked his manager, who told him, "I don't know any more than he does, we haven't gotten any training information on it yet." The guy at the second AT&T store told me they probably won't have them since the Nexus took a considerable sales hit after the 4 and 5. Not quite sure how you can take a sales hit after a 5 when there is no "after". Also he almost fell over when I told him about the 6 inch screen. I didn't even bother with Verizon since last time I went in there they acted like buying a phone off contract was just preposterous.

Is it like this all over or did I just get unlucky? It's kind of ridiculous if you ask me. With Nov 12 less than 2 weeks away and carriers still having 0 info themselves, it makes me wonder when they'll actually get them.

Also as a side note, is anyone else sometimes questioning themselves if they're getting too worked up about this? Or is it just me? The anticipation has been killing me, and I feel like getting on here every day checking for new info is making the days go by much slower :( it's beginning to get to me.

dankev

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why are the carriers so clueless?

They get "trained" when they get new products. They aren't in corporate meetings, and they don't leave work to do homework for their minimum wage job, so they don't usually know things in advance. Now and then you run into people working who happen to be phone enthusiasts, but it isn't the norm.

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

It's like this all over. I call every couple days to the local T-Mobile store for information. One of the reps with confidence even told me. "We'll have that phone here in 3 months or so". They are extremely out if the loop. It's sort of a need to know basis I guess.

Posted via Android Central App

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I would say it's a safe bet that the average person who frequents these forums is more knowledgeable in general about mobile phones than the average retail sales rep. Especially when it comes to unreleased phones.

dvniel

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

Don't crucify these reps. I'm sure a lot of them don't give a flying eff about the bleeding edge. They will be in the know when the company decided for them to be in the know.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I would say it's a safe bet that the average person who frequents these forums is more knowledgeable in general about mobile phones than the average retail sales rep. Especially when it comes to unreleased phones.

I agree, especially a Nexus phone. It's not uncommon at all and I don't blame them. The Nexus phones are not well known by a lot of people. I remember when the Nexus One came out, there was a little buzz about it, but that's the only time I can remember, and even then I'm not sure because I wasn't into phones ( like I am now) until I got that one.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

They are doing their job. Blame should be placed where it belongs - Google.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Don't crucify these reps.

If it came across that way, then they deserve my apology, though it was not intended as such. The majority of sales reps do what they do for a paycheck, and generally will not spend a great deal of time outside of their working hours researching, questioning, and discussing the products. The few reps that do are likely here with us, the mobile technophiles :)

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

Interesting ... I went online at AT&T today and saw their notice that the Nexus 6 was coming to AT&T, but nothing more. While on that page a pop-up appeared offering a chat with an AT&T representative. I usually just close those, but today I took advantage of the opportunity to ask about the Nexus 6. I asked when Nexus 6 would be available through AT&T and whether they would have both 32GB and 64GB phones available. The representative said she would be happy to help me with that, then there was a long interval before she came back and said she didn't know when they would be getting it or anything about it. At least they're consistent!

Adamd1169

May 20, 2010
Visit site

They are doing their job. Blame should be placed where it belongs - Google.

I would say that it is a good idea not to have them too informed weeks before the release. If the reps leave their job after being trained but before release date then then money was wasted on training. If new people get hired after the initial training then you waste money going over it again. Not to mention the risk of leaks when everyone who works for a mobile network know more than they need to. So I guess if you're blaming Google what you really mean is that they are doing a good job.

Posted via Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

They get "trained" when they get new products. They aren't in corporate meetings, and they don't leave work to do homework for their minimum wage job, so they don't usually know things in advance. Now and then you run into people working who happen to be phone enthusiasts, but it isn't the norm.
Actually sales in carrier stores is far from minimum wage. I was browsing monster and noticed base pay was around $40,000 and you get commission

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I've met very few mobile phone employees in general who have a great working knowledge of the phones in stock and on the shelf... Let alone new phones coming out.... Usually there is one really good employee in the store who loves the technology... The rest are there for a paycheck... Nothing more nothing less.

While I was out and about this weekend I stopped in 3 T-Mobile stores that just happened to be in the same shopping center I was in with the family.. 2 flat out said they were not going to have it and both of them told me to order it from Google... 3rd one said they would probably have about 10 but didn't think there would be a rush on them... So when I got home I ended up calling a couple more and one told me there was no release date yet and when I said your T-Mobile news room press release says November 12... He back tracked and said then we should have it... Then one girl actually said she had no clue and asked if I could hold so she could ask someone (Probably the ONE person in the know) and came back to say they would have some on November 12 but to be there early as they might go fast....

Is what it is... I've given up on the Play Store for now... Don't even check it anymore... On November 12 I'll take an early lunch and hit the T-Mobile store right around the corner from my work at 10 am when they open and just see what happens.. Not waiting in no line and if there are a bunch of people standing at the store at 10 am I know what is up and move on for the time being...

alhadee12

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

T-Mobile website has it, but I believe they will only offer the Midnight Blue version.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

T-Mobile website has it, but I believe they will only offer the Midnight Blue version.

someone in another thread claimed a T-Mobile employee showed him you'll be able to get the white one too.......... T-Mobile twitter said Midnight blue only... 32 GB in stores and the 64 GB online only....

alhadee12

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

someone in another thread claimed a T-Mobile employee showed him you'll be able to get the white one too.......... T-Mobile twitter said Midnight blue only... 32 GB in stores and the 64 GB online only....

I didn't see it online or talk with a representative. I know they said the same thing about the Z3, but Black was the only they offered.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I didn't see it online or talk with a representative. I know they said the same thing about the Z3, but Black was the only they offered.

I asked @askdes the T-Mobile answer guru and I asked my local stores.. They all said Midnight blue only.. but someone said they were SHOWN on screen the white was an option.... No actual proof so as always take that with a grain of salt... They could possibly have the white just loaded in their system as you can buy it from the play store so it is technically an option....

I dunno... I don't want the white anyway.... Wish they had a black but Midnight blue will have to work I guess....

alhadee12

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

I asked @askdes the T-Mobile answer guru and I asked my local stores.. They all said Midnight blue only.. but someone said they were SHOWN on screen the white was an option.... No actual proof so as always take that with a grain of salt... They could possibly have the white just loaded in their system as you can buy it from the play store so it is technically an option....

I dunno... I don't want the white anyway.... Wish they had a black but Midnight blue will have to work I guess....

I'm still trying to decide if I want to purchase one because of the screen size. It appears to be a very nice device.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm still trying to decide if I want to purchase one because of the screen size. It appears to be a very nice device.

The size paired with stock android is exactly what I was looking for in a phone... I don't talk on the phone much... I stream a lot of video and use the internet a lot so this is perfect for me.... I can go without my Nexus 7 and Nexus 5 and just have the one device... But I understand the size isn't perfect for everyone...

Look forward to picking one up..

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

The last time I was at T-Mobile to get a data plan for my tablet, they take about 4 times longer than I could probably do it online. Yesterday a relative switched from AT&T to T-Mo, they gave them a new sim and never set up the APN. For some reason on the LG G3 Vigor, WiFi refuses to work without a working APN first. So they never had internet until I entered the APN for them.