Google Nexus 6 Motocare?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Motocare

Confirmed by Motorola:

Motocare WILL be offered on the Nexus 6 IFF purchased @ motorola.com

Is there more to Moto Care than shown on their site?

The 'if your phone is lost, we can lock or wipe your device remotely' feature is already standard on Android Device Manager and offers this (along with GPS locating and 'ringing' your device, even if on silent) to any Android device running Froyo (2.2) and up.

The 'Moto Care app can monitor your phone usage and give you helpful hints about how to get the most out of it' sounds like it pretty much does a similar task to what will be included on the Nexus 6 anyway, and would just add another drain on the battery if it actively monitors usage.

The 'Phone on loan' program does sound nice, if it includes loaners vs non-warranty phones sent in for paid repair - though I'd personally never send in a phone for any type of service that I haven't hard reset first, so the migrate app loses a little value unless they ship the loaner first. For warranty issues, Motorola offers advance replacement on most of their devices anyway.

I'm not trying to 'come down on' Moto Care - just hoping to learn if there are other benefits not listed on that site, or aspect to those benefits I may not be aware of, that add value not already essentially provided with a Nexus 6 purchased from any authorized seller.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Is there more to Moto Care than shown on their site?

If it's like what was offered if you purchased a moto x through them, you get 2 years of accidental damage protection. On the Moto X it was $89 and a replacement only had a deductible of $39 if it was accidental damage. At the time when I got my moto x, that was a LOT cheaper than any other accidental damage protection plans out there. I don't know what the pricing will be if they offer it on the Nexus 6.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

If it's like what was offered if you purchased a moto x through them, you get 2 years of accidental damage protection. On the Moto X it was $89 and a replacement only had a deductible of $39 if it was accidental damage. At the time when I got my moto x, that was a LOT cheaper than any other accidental damage protection plans out there. I don't know what the pricing will be if they offer it on the Nexus 6.

Ok, a 2 year limited insurance policy is definitely a nice perk. Best value I've seen for purchase is SquareTrade, @ $99 for 2 years with a $75 deductible (haven't contacted them yet to see if the Nexus 6 is eligible, though). If it's included on devices from the Motorola store... Gotta like that. Though I'd expect it to be posted on their product page as a selling point.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Ok, a 2 year limited insurance policy is definitely a nice perk. Best value I've seen for purchase is SquareTrade, @ $99 for 2 years with a $75 deductible (haven't contacted them yet to see if the Nexus 6 is eligible, though). If it's included on devices from the Motorola store... Gotta like that. Though I'd expect it to be posted on their product page as a selling point.

Agreed. The fact that they are taking preorders and haven't listed moto care yet as an option makes me wonder whether they'll offer it on the nexus 6. I was just looking at squaretrade and the $99 deal for 2 years doesn't sound bad. I might look into that if moto care doesn't get offered.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Agreed. The fact that they are taking preorders and haven't listed moto care yet as an option makes me wonder whether they'll offer it on the nexus 6. I was just looking at squaretrade and the $99 deal for 2 years doesn't sound bad. I might look into that if moto care doesn't get offered.

Just called up SquareTrade to ask if the Nexus 6 would be a coverable product, to which the rep said yes. I did follow up with questioning what they would do in the instance a customer needed to file a claim if they should be able to directly replace it from their inventory (noting that the device would likely be in very short supply for some time), and he indicated that if they could not directly replace it - with the same model - themselves, they would issue a check in the amount of the retail price of the phone, meaning a customer would only be out the cost of any applicable sales tax/shipping in procuring a replacement (and of course the $75 deductible).

So yep, hoping to see if Motorola brings more stock out tomorrow and throws in Moto Care. If so, definitely will buy from them. If not, then whichever, between them and Google, can put a 64GB Midnight Blue in my hands fastest :)