Nexus 6 & Third Party Launchers

ejordan

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, with the N6 release almost here I've been looking at launchers on the play store trying to get a better idea of what I might want to use once I've got the phone. All I've had experience with is Apex, but as I was going through the pages for different launchers I've noticed some talk about how they can be optimized for different screen sizes.

With the Nexus 6 being my first big phone, I wanted to see if anybody had any insights on which launchers or specifically the features in certain launchers would work best for a bigger phone or what they've liked in the past (I know having gestures will be important). Feel free to chime in with what launcher you're going to be using or if you're not going to download a third party one at all. I've also been wondering if any N6 functionality might be lost with a new launcher as well, the same way I've heard the Note 4 can lose some functionality with the S-Pen. What's caught my eye so far is obviously Nova, Smart Launcher 2, Themer, and Buzz.

I'm sure at this point there's a lot of crossover in terms of features between all of these, and different things will work out better for different people depending on their personal preferences and what they use their phone for, but I'm still interested to hear everybody's thoughts especially from those with more experience trying out different launchers and what's worked best.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Nova prime for a long time on my gs4. Going to try the N6 stock in the beginning.
Going to migrate Nova over, and I'm sure I'll eventually use it.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Will you be able to say "OK Google" from the home screen without the built in Google Now launcher?

Posted via the Android Central App

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I love Nova but when it comes to nexus I try to stick with stock.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

erstam

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes. How you can also do this from any screen (home or otherwise) for quite a while now (at least on nexus). And the nexus 6 you can even do it with the screen off.

KennyMB

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I use Nova on my Note 3. It's great. You can use any gestures with it. For example, I have it set so when I swipe down on the home screen the notification shade comes down. Much easier than reaching to the top of the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I really like nova but I found after I restart the phone my wallpaper scale up and look fuzzy..I need to reset a wallpaper again..hope it fix now..

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
If you've already used APEX before, nova launcher shouldn't be too much of difference. Personally, I think nova does a better job of spacing the icons and the widgets on the screen. APEX has a better icon theming engine. If you haven't tried next 3 D launcher, I suggest you give that a go, especially you're getting a big hd screen device with a fast processor.

Sent from my LG-E980

ejordan

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Can you move the dock on Nova from the bottom of the screen to the middle? The carousel dock on Apex is one of my favorite things but as far as one-handed usage on the N6 goes, it'd be a lot easier to have it on the middle of the home screen instead and get to different apps that way

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Can you move the dock on Nova from the bottom of the screen to the middle? The carousel dock on Apex is one of my favorite things but as far as one-handed usage on the N6 goes, it'd be a lot easier to have it on the middle of the home screen instead and get to different apps that way
What ever you can do on apex you can do on nova, and pretty much the other way around. But you can't move the dock to the middle on either launchers.

Sent from my LG-E980

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
As I do with most new phones, I usually give the stock launcher a try but I always find myself going back to Nova.

I have basically the same setup I've been using since Launcher Pro.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol