Nexus positive and negative

rdalcanto

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I want to try to keep this objective....
Now that I played with one for 20 minutes:

Nexus advantages:
Biggest screen
On screen buttons
Two speakers
Pure lollipop
Feels great in the hand
Wireless charging

Negatives:
Single antenna. No voice and data unless VoLTE.
Screen not at bright and colorful as note 4
Camera ok, but slow with HDR on
Opening gallery is incredibly slow (at least 5 seconds to show Thumbnails - what was that about?)
No multi-window
No stylus
Only Android Wear, no Gear with speaker phone.

I really don't know what I'm going to do about my order. If Motorola doesn't charge a restocking fee, I might give it a chance.

Last edited:

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Nexus advantages:
Biggest screen
On screen buttons
Two speakers
Pure lollipop
Feels great in the hand
Wireless charging

Negatives:
Opening gallery is incredibly slow (at least 5 seconds to show Thumbnails - what was that about?)
No multi-window
No stylus

I really don't know what I'm going to do about my order. If Motorola doesn't charge a restocking fee, I might give it a chance.

If having "pure android" is a must for you, I'd say keep the Nexus 6. That's what it's all about, really. If that's not all that important to you, then there's a few other superior devices out there.

Posted via the Android Central App

doubleblack

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
In response to above, regarding no data/voice at same time, I'm not so sure this is true for GSM...CDMA yes but GSM I don't think this applies...

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
In response to above, regarding no data/voice at same time, I'm not so sure this is true for GSM...CDMA yes but GSM I don't think this applies...

This. All at&t phones since my HTC Aria do data while on the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

lildj0809

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
If having "pure android" is a must for you, I'd say keep the Nexus 6. That's what it's all about, really. If that's not all that important to you, then there's a few other superior devices out there.

I have been weighing this for a while now. I am still on the fence but honestly I think I'm leaning towards getting a G3. I am over Samsung, so Note for me. I'm gonna give the Nexus a couple weeks maybe then decide for sure.

choclab1

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Only concern for me is a year from now when I am perfectly happy with the 6in screen, if the next version goes back to 5in would be impossible to do that at that point.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I have been weighing this for a while now. I am still on the fence but honestly I think I'm leaning towards getting a G3. I am over Samsung, so Note for me. I'm gonna give the Nexus a couple weeks maybe then decide for sure.

The G3 is a solid phone. Really quick camera, nice display, decent battery life. I enjoyed it for the month or so I had it. I will say that it does stutter from time to time, though. The older Adreno GPU and the Snapdragon 801 get pushed to the limit with that quad HD display.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

Nexus advantages:
Biggest screen
On screen buttons
Two speakers
Pure lollipop
Feels great in the hand
Wireless charging

Negatives:
No multi-window
No stylus

You forgot to mention completely unlockable bootloader. On Verizon this is the main factor.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Only concern for me is a year from now when I am perfectly happy with the 6in screen, if the next version goes back to 5in would be impossible to do that at that point.

yeah research has shown once you got to a larger screen it's almost impossible to back down.... Be interesting what they do next year... Hopefully they offer two devices... I'd be happy if next year they just came out with a Moto S that is pretty much based off the Nexus 6........ I already consider the Moto X 2014 pure edition the new Nexus 5.....

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Nexus advantages:
Biggest screen
On screen buttons
Two speakers
Pure lollipop
Feels great in the hand
Wireless charging

Negatives:
No multi-window
No stylus

Moto does not charge a restock fee and gives free return shipping.

Posted via Nexus 5 with Lollipop!

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
On some of your negatives. You didn't have to play with one to know it doesn't have a stylus, no multi window or it works with the gear. All those are unique to the Note 4 and Samsung phones for the gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
On some of your negatives. You didn't have to play with one to know it doesn't have a stylus, no multi window or it works with the gear. All those are unique to the Note 4 and Samsung phones for the gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The problem with list like this is people are acting as if the negatives are large gaps....... Like the Nexus 6 has a 720p IPS LCD screen and only gets 2 hours of screen on time before it goes dead or the camera gap is like comparing the pictures to a $1,200 Digital SLR....

After reading and watching 20 reviews it comes down to Software.... If you are looking for an over sized BIG stock Android phone without any skin... this is for you.... I agree with MKBHD in that Stock android just looks and feels better... The look and feel of the software far out weights having the S pen or Multi window functionality... and I understand why those added features in Touchwiz can be important to your day and experience... Since most of the "Negative" in this original post can be addressed and adjusted with software updates and tweaks this phone should only get better as we move forward..... Android 5.0 will not look and operate the same once it's running on the Note 4 or other Samsung devices...

I spent about 40 minutes playing with a Demo Nexus 6 last night at the T-Mobile store and came away even more impressed than the pictures, rumors and reviews I've been reading... For me it's exactly what I was looking for and wanted in a new device if I was going to upgrade and move on from my Nexus 5...... I easily could have bought a LG G3 or Note 4 but neither were really what I was looking for... The LG G3 was close....

NerdTopper

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The problem with list like this is people are acting as if the negatives are large gaps....... Like the Nexus 6 has a 720p IPS LCD screen and only gets 2 hours of screen on time before it goes dead or the camera gap is like comparing the pictures to a $1,200 Digital SLR....

After reading and watching 20 reviews it comes down to Software.... If you are looking for an over sized BIG stock Android phone without any skin... this is for you.... I agree with MKBHD in that Stock android just looks and feels better... The look and feel of the software far out weights having the S pen or Multi window functionality... and I understand why those added features in Touchwiz can be important to your day and experience... Since most of the "Negative" in this original post can be addressed and adjusted with software updates and tweaks this phone should only get better as we move forward..... Android 5.0 will not look and operate the same once it's running on the Note 4 or other Samsung devices...

I spent about 40 minutes playing with a Demo Nexus 6 last night at the T-Mobile store and came away even more impressed than the pictures, rumors and reviews I've been reading... For me it's exactly what I was looking for and wanted in a new device if I was going to upgrade and move on from my Nexus 5...... I easily could have bought a LG G3 or Note 4 but neither were really what I was looking for... The LG G3 was close....

I'm glad I finally found someone with a similar opinion to mine lol.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I just want to have a great screen and battery, with a nice fluid user experience.
Do you think I'll get that?
Had s3 and s4, just can't do another Sammy.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I just want to have a great screen and battery, with a nice fluid user experience.
Do you think I'll get that?
Had s3 and s4, just can't do another Sammy.

Well that is the problem.... I don't know on several different levels... I've seen two reviews that had the same roughly 8 hours of continued video play back on the Nexus 6... One reviewer said that was excellent battery life while another said that same 8 hours wasn't good enough.... So it depends on what you call great battery life.... I compared the Nexus 6 at the T-Mobile store to my Nexus 5 and the screen looked amazing to me... I pulled up a couple of different video's on Youtube (Movie trailers... Avengers to be exact) and I felt it was without a doubt better on the Nexus 6... but even in comparison it wasn't like the Nexus 5 looked like junk.. 1080p on a 5 inch screen looks pretty good to start with....

When it comes to a nice fluid user experience that is also personal preference... I absolutely LOVE stock android... I had the Nexus 1 as my very first Android phone and when I went to the HTC EVO and Galaxy S3 I had to root and put stock android on them.... Was so glad to go back to stock android out the box with the Nexus 5... But some people really love the Samsung an Touchwiz user experience... and that is perfectly fine..

Call a few T-Mobile stores near you and ask if they have a demo unit... Go play with it... I came away more impressed than I already was just watching video's and reading about it.... but your opinion may be difference and that is okay too.... For me I am 99.9999% certain I am going to get everything I was looking for and I am going to be happy with this phone...

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The ones near me didn't have them. I would like to get at least 4.5 hours plus sot. In the turbo forum people seem to think the battery is get better for them after the first week or so.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I finally found someone with a similar opinion to mine lol.

lol... There are obviously a lot of people like us who want a stock android experience and are just looking for an over sized phone.... To each his own... I have no problems what so ever with the Note 4 or the LG G3..... They are all great devices who have their positive and negative points.. anything you get is going to have negative aspects...., You have to decide if you can live with those or not.....

Screen is going to be neck and neck.. Yes the Note 4 has a slight edge but it's by a hair or two... from reading about the camera they are neck and neck too.... another I'd say the Note 4 (from the sample comparison shots I've seen) is just a hair or two better.... You are basically talking about the difference between one car that has a top speed of 195 and one that has a top speed of 198.... 99.999999999% of the people are not going to be able to tell the difference between that hair of difference....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21