Google Nexus 6 To everyone who says the screen is too dim

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Before you say it's too dim when playing around with the demo in the store, go under settings - display, and make sure adaptive brightness is turned off. It is on by default and I'm sure none of the store employees know to turn it off. If you just use the slider in the pull-down menu, adaptive brightness severely limits the brightness of the screen to save battery - it's sort of an advanced auto-brightness.

I got my hands on a demo unit today and sure enough, it looked a little dim until I went into settings and flipped the switch. It's unfortunate that it's on by default because it makes it an uneven playing field with all the other devices cranked up to their max brightness. At 100% it looked about as bright as my G3 at 100%. I keep my G3 at 70% normally.

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: To everyone who says the screen is too dim

Turning off adaptive brightness also gets rid of the pink hue when you set the brightness to the minimum.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site

Turning off adaptive brightness also gets rid of the pink hue when you set the brightness to the minimum.

Really? I thought adaptive brightness just adjusted the level of brightness, not the hue.

Posted via the Android Central App

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

This is a terrible solution. I don't want to have to disable auto brightness, because having to manually adjust brightness on my phone is irritating.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

This is a terrible solution. I don't want to have to disable auto brightness, because having to manually adjust brightness on my phone is irritating.

I think it is two different settings.

Posted via my OnePlus One!

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

I think it is two different settings.

Posted via my OnePlus One!

It's the same on Lollipop. Its horrible on my Nexus 9, I have to keep it turned off. I'm sure an update can fix it.

Posted via the Android Central App

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
To everyone who says the screen is too dim

I'm at a store now and it doesn't seem to change much. It's definitely dim, especially when next to iPhone. Whites also have more of a noticeable yellow hue to them.

As a side note the default wallpaper is a terrible choice for this screen. It's grainy looking and makes it look bad. Change it to a landscape to get a better gauge for clarity.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I have had mine for about 3 hours now and the default "Adaptive display" is perfectly fine with me and even using the default background (which will eventually get changed to something else but for now the default it is) If you do manually slide the brightness up it gets pretty bright... at least in doors under these lights here at work.... Maybe it's an issue in really bright sunlight but as of right now the display looks pretty darn good... It's not as bright side by side as my Nexus 5 with auto brightness on but if you max bright them both it's very similar.. Just a hair lighter on the N6....

I dunno.. even looking at the screen up real close it's just a beautiful screen.. Don't think the qHD is as big a deal off paper and in the real world compared to 1080p though.... on a screen this small qHD or next years flood of ultra HD is just marketing hype than anything else.. YES it's better and as long as the cost isn't significantly higher then I am all for it.. but if they could have made the Nexus 6 $100 cheaper with just a 1080p AMOLED screen I would have been just fine with that... if the cost was only $20 more for the qHD then yeah.. throw it in....

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

I have had mine for about 3 hours now and the default "Adaptive display" is perfectly fine with me and even using the default background (which will eventually get changed to something else but for now the default it is) If you do manually slide the brightness up it gets pretty bright... at least in doors under these lights here at work.... Maybe it's an issue in really bright sunlight but as of right now the display looks pretty darn good... It's not as bright side by side as my Nexus 5 with auto brightness on but if you max bright them both it's very similar.. Just a hair lighter on the N6....

I dunno.. even looking at the screen up real close it's just a beautiful screen.. Don't think the qHD is as big a deal off paper and in the real world compared to 1080p though.... on a screen this small qHD or next years flood of ultra HD is just marketing hype than anything else.. YES it's better and as long as the cost isn't significantly higher then I am all for it.. but if they could have made the Nexus 6 $100 cheaper with just a 1080p AMOLED screen I would have been just fine with that... if the cost was only $20 more for the qHD then yeah.. throw it in....

Is the color washout? View angle is good?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Is the color washout? View angle is good?

remind me tomorrow.. I've only spent about 45 minutes with it so far today.. Have not watched any video's or dug into t... but so far it looks really really good... but my opinion on taste could of course be different than yours... Once I get home and on WiFi I plan to run a video on both my Nexus 5 and 6 at the same time and see how different they look....

Qbancelli

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site

Before you say it's too dim when playing around with the demo in the store, go under settings - display, and make sure adaptive brightness is turned off. It is on by default and I'm sure none of the store employees know to turn it off. If you just use the slider in the pull-down menu, adaptive brightness severely limits the brightness of the screen to save battery - it's sort of an advanced auto-brightness.

I got my hands on a demo unit today and sure enough, it looked a little dim until I went into settings and flipped the switch. It's unfortunate that it's on by default because it makes it an uneven playing field with all the other devices cranked up to their max brightness. At 100% it looked about as bright as my G3 at 100%. I keep my G3 at 70% normally.

No. I made sure that that it was off when I tested it over the weekend. and still was way too dim.

The good news is, that the N6 that I received today does not have that issue.
So it might be a problem with some units.
Because how can you explain some ppl think it is excellent, and some other like Anandtech think it is awful.
AnandTech | The Nexus 6 Review

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I do not think so (at least isn't on the Nexus 5 running Lollipop). Adaptive brightness has replaced auto-brightness.

You are right, it is one setting. I had to dig my Nexus out of the drawer to check. It is my OnePlus One that has an auto setting on display and an adaptive backlight setting in the menu.