01-11-2016 10:57 AM
71 123
tools
    Can you install a 3rd party notification app like DynamicNotifications, or will that just totally screw with the stock Ambient Notifications? I installed this on my N4 and loved it since it was about as close as I could get to Moto X notifications.
    Robbie317 likes this.
    11-23-2014 12:06 PM
    Can you install a 3rd party notification app like DynamicNotifications, or will that just totally screw with the stock Ambient Notifications? I installed this on my N4 and loved it since it was about as close as I could get to Moto X notifications.
    I am sure there are but that kind of defeats the purpose or fact that it has this built into the phone.. Just no options.. It's all or nothing with the Nexus built in Ambient display.....
    nickacs likes this.
    11-23-2014 12:10 PM
    When I test it on purpose to see if it's working or to show someone it never works. When I actually look at my phone after being in my pocket or on a tablet it works almost 100%.
    11-24-2014 12:03 PM
    OK for me on 5.0.1. No pocket mishaps as yet. After trying it in a darkened room and not working very well, I can only assume the light sensor plays a part in stopping pocket activation maybe? Also seems to work better if the phone is more or less horizontal before handling.
    12-21-2014 08:31 AM
    Not reliable at all. 50% at best.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-21-2014 09:54 AM
    I've had no luck with ambient display.

Have tried numerous resets/one at a time app installs etc. It's weird. On several of the resets, it doesn't work on initial boot. Other times it will work for a while after the reset, and for a while after all the apps are installed, but then it will quit within a half hour or so.

Once, I thought I had it licked when it worked until I added a particular app. The problem came back after it was installed, and remained after it was uninstalled. More reset/rebuilds without that app, and again, sometimes it failed immediately, others it would fail an hour or so later. I waited for 5.01, did the reset deal, but it still won't work.

Needless to say, my warranty replacement is on its way.........
    12-21-2014 12:36 PM
    I was excited about ambient display as it looked great at first, but I've found it too unreliable in practice, and have now turned it off completely just to save battery. Often I have the phone on my bed and a slight wobble can wake up the phone, but when I actually pick the phone up it doesn't always register.

In retrospect, I actually found LED+Lightflow more useful and you could tell exactly which app was notifying you (via color) from across the room, with Ambient you need to read it up close to find out. LED combined with Double Tap to Wake would be fantastic, I hope this gets added as an alternative option to Ambient Display in a software update.
    12-29-2014 09:56 AM
    is there times where its not suppose to work? im sittin here pickin the damn thing up and nothing happens. i dont get it.
    12-29-2014 10:27 AM
    I'm about ready to pull the trigger and get this phone, but I keep reading threads like this and second guessing myself. I consider Ambient Display to be one of the features that make me want this phone. I also consider it to be a pretty integral part of what Google is selling in the N6, a variant of Moto X's notifications that work so well. So when something that seems like it should be so basic to the phone isn't working right, I feel concerned. Yes, I know that every new OS has growing pains, that every phone has some bugs to be worked out; but I have read a number of threads for other phones and it doesn't seem like they have the magnitude of bugs and features that flat out don't work as the N6 does.

As I said, I'm beginning to get worried and wonder whether I should go ahead and get this phone. Part of the reason I ultimately chose this over the Note 4 is that I thought it would have better longevity (and, of course, I like the simpler interface without all the Touchwiz additions). But I don't just want a phone that will keep limping along for a long time. I want one in which the basic functions work consistently. Am I aiming too high?
    12-29-2014 10:48 AM
    Overall, it works. I got a few pocket-dials while walking (I'm assuming that the notifications come on in-pocket, and then my leg slides against the phone and turns it on). I now have Face Unlock, which is pretty okay, and that problem is solved.

Ambient display virtually always works when I take my phone out of my pocket, and about 80% of the time picking up from a table.
    12-29-2014 11:19 AM
    I've loved being display on my N6. Couldn't be happier to drop that ongoing LED blink I've had with other phones. Became more of an annoyance. Don't think I can go back from ambient at this point.

Posted via Nexus 6 CW64
    12-29-2014 11:57 AM
    I'm about ready to pull the trigger and get this phone, but I keep reading threads like this and second guessing myself. I consider Ambient Display to be one of the features that make me want this phone. I also consider it to be a pretty integral part of what Google is selling in the N6, a variant of Moto X's notifications that work so well. So when something that seems like it should be so basic to the phone isn't working right, I feel concerned. Yes, I know that every new OS has growing pains, that every phone has some bugs to be worked out; but I have read a number of threads for other phones and it doesn't seem like they have the magnitude of bugs and features that flat out don't work as the N6 does.

As I said, I'm beginning to get worried and wonder whether I should go ahead and get this phone. Part of the reason I ultimately chose this over the Note 4 is that I thought it would have better longevity (and, of course, I like the simpler interface without all the Touchwiz additions). But I don't just want a phone that will keep limping along for a long time. I want one in which the basic functions work consistently. Am I aiming too high?
    you should probably get an iPhone then..just kidding .I've had the N6 for almost a week now and haven't discovered a lot of the bugs that other people have been talking about. The ambient display works about 90% of the time for me. I even disabled encryption and don't notice any difference for day to day use (don't play games). I thought about the Note 4 too but can't handle touchwhiz and really like the 2 front facing speakers on the N6.
    12-30-2014 11:37 AM
    Those of you scratching your heads over this - it won't work in poor light, it uses the light sensor in an effort to stop it going off in the pocket. Also, when on a table it repeats a few times after a notification, maybe 3 times I think, at about a one minute interval. Just comes on briefly and goes back off.

It is one incredible phone tho, if you can accept the size of it then there's really nothing else to worry about in my opinion.
    12-30-2014 11:51 AM
    Those of you scratching your heads over this - it won't work in poor light, it uses the light sensor in an effort to stop it going off in the pocket.
    Mine works in pitch black.... As far as I know, it uses both the proximity sensor (for pocket detection) and the accelerometer (to know when its picked up) for Ambient Display.
    12-30-2014 12:42 PM
    you should probably get an iPhone then..just kidding .I've had the N6 for almost a week now and haven't discovered a lot of the bugs that other people have been talking about. The ambient display works about 90% of the time for me. I even disabled encryption and don't notice any difference for day to day use (don't play games). I thought about the Note 4 too but can't handle touchwhiz and really like the 2 front facing speakers on the N6.
    LOl---Now you sound like DH. He cannot understand my pursuit of this phone, when it hasn't been available for so long, or my insistence on an Android phone. Of course, he gets a new computer or phone, downloads whatever else he wants on it, and then proceeds to use both exactly as they came out of the box. I, on the other hand, always totally customize and change the devices until they look and work the way I want them to. I'm not so advanced that I am rooting my phone, but I still get in their with Nova Prime, widgets, and apps to make it look and work the way I want it to. So, while I would love the predictability and reliability of an iPhone, I couldn't stand not being able to tailor it to my use.
    12-30-2014 01:36 PM
    I just turned ambient display off. Helps with battery life and I was not really using it all that much so finding I don't miss it at all.
    guitardoc64 likes this.
    12-30-2014 01:57 PM
    works great for me and it's never come on while in my pocket
    12-31-2014 07:20 AM
    it's never come on while in my pocket
    Lol how do you know??

AC App
    Nexus 6
    Zense likes this.
    12-31-2014 08:48 AM
    Just out of interest, I just bought a wallet style case for mine, and whenever I open it up the ambient display comes on, so that works out quite handy.!
    01-03-2015 08:10 AM
    ... whenever I open it up the ambient display comes on...
    Even if you flip open the case without picking up the phone??

AC App
    Nexus 6
    01-03-2015 08:29 AM
    Even if you flip open the case without picking up the phone??
    If you're particularly gentle, or if in a very dark room, no. It seems to require a slight movement, and a measurable change in light.

Unfortunately the phone doesn't lock when you shut the case after use, but that's expecting a bit much I guess!
    01-03-2015 09:00 AM
    If you're particularly gentle, or if in a very dark room, no. It seems to require a slight movement, and a measurable change in light.

Unfortunately the phone doesn't lock when you shut the case after use, but that's expecting a bit much I guess!
    Ok, I was gonna say...

I was thinking maybe the phone's proxy sensor or a magnet or something was detecting the case being opened. No such luck.

AC App
    Nexus 6
    01-03-2015 10:05 AM
    I put this in another Ambient Display thread with no answer:

With the lock screen (swipe) engaged and I get a text, it plays the first 2-3 seconds of my chosen ringtone and then stops.
    I am using GO SMS as my texting app if it matters.

Any ideas on getting it to play the entire ringtone when the lock screen is on and a text is received?
    I may be missing something obvious as I don't usually have the lock screen engaged but I like the AD info it provides.

Thanks.

Mav.

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band Nexus 6.
    01-03-2015 11:29 AM
    I think I get what you mean, those stock ringtones are avant garde to say the least, and having them cutoff suddenly would be weirder yet.

Ya know what might work is the opening Da-da-da-daaaa opening of Beethoven's 5th Symphony.
    01-04-2015 02:23 PM
    Just got the phone a few days ago and ambient display has been working 99 percent. Even when I show people lol.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-07-2015 06:36 PM
71 123