01-11-2016 10:57 AM
71 123
tools
    When my phone is face down, whenever I pick it up, ambient display comes on, new notification or not. Is it supposed to do that even if I don't have a new notification?

Maybe because I have BBM, which has a persistent notification?

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-11-2015 07:59 AM
    When my phone is face down, whenever I pick it up, ambient display comes on, new notification or not. Is it supposed to do that even if I don't have a new notification?
    Yup.....
    01-11-2015 04:20 PM
    I am seeing about a 50% success rate for ambient display. It is funny to read how variable peoples success rate with it are. I came from a 2013 Moto X and it worked closer to 95% of the time and when it didn't work I would just flip it quickly between screen up and screen down to trigger it. I have tried this and my other tricks form the X to get Ambient Display to work but it is a no go , it seems to work when it wants to work. The funny things I have taken to always leaving my phone face down , as mentioned above, because it does seems to work more often this way. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get this to work, I am on 5.0.1 with adaptive brightness off, no root. This is the only real problem that I have been having and I guess that I got spoiled with the Moto X's execution of this feature. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    01-12-2015 12:41 PM
    Reading this thread I actually picked up my phone three or so times - every time it's shown ambient display. I've even gotten into the habit, when it's on the carpet at home, of pushing one of the sides so it kinda rocks - and even then the screen shows the ambient display.
    01-12-2015 06:42 PM
    I made my ambient display work pretty much 100% of the time. I don't know if I missed something in researching the issue, but, I was leaving my N6 screen down everywhere I went hoping the the twisting and light change would force the better ambient display response. I decide to lay it on its back and pick up the phone and voila, ambient display fires, I try it several more times and it doesn't miss. I had read that the change of position on the gyrometer ( I think thats whats its called ) and light sensor made the ambient display kick on. As a matter of fact I thought that I read that people were having trouble with AD in dark rooms because of the lack of light change, I figured screen down would be the greatest change in position and light. Was I doing it wrong from the start? I can't believe the difference...
    01-12-2015 10:09 PM
    Seems to be pretty reliable for me after a month of use. I do miss a notification light though. What can I say,? old habits die hard.

01-13-2015 08:20 AM
    Found that having a screen shield on the Nexus 6 basically stops this feature 90% of the time, removing it made it work every time for me.
    AldousSnow likes this.
    01-13-2015 02:50 PM
    Found that having a screen shield on the Nexus 6 basically stops this feature 90% of the time, removing it made it work every time for me.
    Very true. I had no issues before buying screen protector.
    03-01-2015 09:52 AM
    Using this phone for a few months now and it seems to be 95 to 98 percent

03-02-2015 06:37 PM
    After a month I turned it off. I have the mcr MOD for dt2w so it pretty well eliminated the need for ambient display. Battery life is much better without it half waking up all the time.

Tapped from Shamu
    03-04-2015 12:40 PM
    I've had my n6 for 2 days. The ambient display has only worked a handful of times, which annoys me. Well ,it does open with notifications, but rarely opens when i pick it up. The screen is also slow to turn on when pressing the power button.

Another gripe I have is that it's taking over an hour to charge, not 15 minutes.
    03-21-2015 05:10 AM
    It is wierd for me - it almost always lights up when i pick up the phone, no problem here, however it also lights up out of the blue while laying on the desk when im typing on the keyboard that constantly distracts me into thinking someone msged me or somethng, but nop.
    03-21-2015 05:32 AM
    The Ambient Display on my Nexus 6P only works if the device is locked.
    Is everyone else's doing the same?
    If yes, then why does this battery saving feature not work when the phone is unlocked?
    (I read a similar case from a Nexus 6 user from about a year ago somewhere here, but I can't find it now...)
    Android helpdesk couldn't tell me if this is how it's supposed to work or if it's a faulty device, so they told me to call Huawei, but I haven't managed to reach them yet, so I'd really like to know if other people have the same problem.
    01-08-2016 08:12 AM
    I haven't used it since the second day I had it. Switched to Velis Auto Brightness and love it.

01-08-2016 03:15 PM
    The Ambient Display on my Nexus 6P only works if the device is locked.
    Is everyone else's doing the same?
    That's how ambient display is designed to work.
    01-08-2016 06:47 PM
    Working for me.

01-09-2016 09:55 AM
    Very true. I had no issues before buying screen protector.
    Some screen protectors cover the sensor and it wont work right. You need to get a screen protector with the cut out for the light sensor and this will not be an issue.
    01-09-2016 01:48 PM
    I don't yet have a screen protector or a case yet on it, so that can't be the issue.
    rickms80 - Does it work when you haven't set up a screen lock?

01-09-2016 07:44 PM
    rickms80 - Does it work when you haven't set up any screen lock?

01-09-2016 07:52 PM
    rickms80 - Does it work when you haven't set up any screen lock?

I noticed the other day it wasn't working but after a reboot it started working again. No, to your question. I have a screen lock setup but I have my watch setup as a trusted device so it's unlocked when my watch is on.
    01-10-2016 06:14 PM
    Worked for me since the day I bought my Nexus 6
    01-11-2016 10:57 AM
71 123