Who got the Nexus 6? How is your battery? And How fast the turbo charger?

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Interesting comments thanks to those that own the device. Glad I am waiting to hear all the real world stuff. I am not a heavy user and am pretty sure the Nexus 6 would easily last me an entire day. I usually get two days on my OPO, I get usually have 55 to 60% left after day one and recharge the evening of day 2 so that has spoiled me. Even the moto X 2014 was lasting me an entire day with about 25-30% left at the end of the day.

I am wondering if these QHD screens are worth it? I also had an LG G3 but was not happy with the heat that it generated when watching videos etc. Any issues with the Nexus 6 getting hot on the back watching videos on LTE? Thanks.

haha, maybe we should trade. how you like your opo?

Posted via the Android Central App

beeg612

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site

I'll jump in and say I love the OPO, as I'm sure planoman will agree. I think I love the N6 just a little bit more. Honestly, the screen is gorgeous! My battery life has been good with moderate usage. I had just under 3 hours on screen time yesterday with 17 hours off charger and still had 39% left. Not as good as the OPO but leaps and bounds beyond the N5.

The way I see it is the N6 is a better phone, for me, because of the stability and features. Plus, if I want CM on the N6, I can do that as well. I think the OPO is today where the N5 was a year ago: a great phone with great specs at a budget price.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
This phone can't touch the Note 4 in battery life and they have the exact same battery capacity. The reasons? Older generation AMOLED panel, software inefficiency on pure Android, and Samsung implemented a lot of battery saving tactics in their software. It's probably my biggest pain point with this device and I'm not optimistic that Google will fix it (they never really did on the 5), but I can live with it. The turbo charger does make a huge difference in these scenarios because you can replenish 10-20% in a few minutes. If they surprise me and this thing gets marginally better, that'll go a long way with me.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I like it! I have owned two of them. I gave my first to a family member to get the Moto x 2014, which I returned. I was going to just wait for the Nexus 6, but got another invite so pulled the trigger. I have not has any issues with the two I have owned. Not sure if this helps but I start everyday with a fresh boot (I turn off my phone at night) and have usually not had problems. I have heard of many having some minor issues but I just have not had any. I swap out with my iphone 6+. I usually go 2 weeks with the OPO and 1 week with the iphone 6+ lol! I throw the Nexus 5 in there on the weekends when I want a smaller device and do not need as much battery.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I am wondering if these QHD screens are worth it?

It's mostly marketing/hype/bragging rights..... I sat there a few weeks ago with a Note 3 and Note 4 side by side.. One 1080p the other qHD and I couldn't really tell a difference... The average naked eye isn't really going to be able to tell a major difference 99% of the time... Just looks better on a flyer and when you are bragging about your tech vs the other guys tech.....

I would be curious to know just how much more battery/resources it takes up pushing all those extra pixels.....

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I see. yeah I hear that some ppl have issues with it too, and the other thing is opo customer service isn't the greatest either. those are the things that is holding me back. another thing that is holding me back is no wifi calling which the nexus is supposed to get next year. seems like I can't get over why I want a phone this size with only a medicore battery. that's the whole purpose of getting a big phone is long battery. I'm still hoping that Google going to announce there's a bug and will come out with an update soon to fix it. haha. one can only hope.

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Can you give some specifics (hours to empty, screen on time)? Your experience fits with a lot of the reviews, but will the 6 make it through a full day of reasonable use?

I haven't used the Nexus 6 yet, but for me the 6 Plus was the best battery life I've ever gotten from a smart phone. Literally ever. 2nd place goes to the Note 4 and here are some screen shots for you.

Attachments

• 2014-11-05 14.00.52.jpg
    2014-11-05 14.00.52.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 2014-10-22 16.16.13.jpg
    2014-10-22 16.16.13.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 2014-10-22 16.16.22.jpg
    2014-10-22 16.16.22.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 132

Stevieboi

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
please report how battery life go for u guys..I need to hear from real user..and need to know how fast the charger go..thanks.

Charger is crazy fast! Wasn't even an hour and I was back to 100% from having only 30% power left. People had complained they thought the screen wasn't bright enough...I'm at about 35-40% brightness with the adaptive brightness toggle switched to off and its plenty bright.
Loving the phone so far...only trouble I had was getting it to pair with my Bose Sound link speaker but finally got it! :)

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
yeah, the charger is great, but you can't bring that everywhere with you. i charge my phone overnight, so fast charging doesn't matter as much. I'm testing my phone battery life today and purposely not charging it at work. so far for the last 2 hrs, it went from 96% to 78% 1 hr 8 min on screen time. so I guess that's not bad.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
yeah, the charger is great, but you can't bring that everywhere with you. i charge my phone overnight, so fast charging doesn't matter as much. I'm testing my phone battery life today and purposely not charging it at work. so far for the last 2 hrs, it went from 96% to 78% 1 hr 8 min on screen time. so I guess that's not bad.

Yeah I have not even unpacked the turbo charger.. I've never really been in a position where I needed a boost fast like that.. I charge at night while I sleep and during the work week I leave it on the wireless charger at least part of the day so I know when I leave work I have an all night battery if needed...

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a full day with the phone yet, but I know already that the N6 battery doesn't touch the Iphone 6 Plus.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
It's mostly marketing/hype/bragging rights..... .

Yeah, marketing over function no doubt......I've got the N6 on order, but may not keep it because of battery life. And yet Moto did it with my other choice, the Droid Turbo:

They increased the battery by 12%, but people are getting LESS battery life out of it that last gen Maxx. Here, you can't tell the difference between the Note 3 and 4, and Moto goes and puts the same res screen into a device that is 10% smaller so they can claim a higher PPI count.

The upshot may be that life between the 2 phones may not be as different as you'd expect from their specs....

What is Moto smoking??????

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, marketing over function no doubt......I've got the N6 on order, but may not keep it because of battery life. And yet Moto did it with my other choice, the Droid Turbo:

They increased the battery by 12%, but people are getting LESS battery life out of it that last gen Maxx. Here, you can't tell the difference between the Note 3 and 4, and Moto goes and puts the same res screen into a device that is 10% smaller so they can claim a higher PPI count.

The upshot may be that life between the 2 phones may not be as different as you'd expect from their specs....

What is Moto smoking??????

Battery life is a weird subject to start with... IMO I got 17 hours yesterday with 3 hours of screen on time and 9 hours of that was spent in a WEAK signal area that I know takes a toll on your battery.... after 17 hours total and 3 hours screen on the battery was at 4%... For me 3 hours of screen on is about my average with the Nexus 5 but I had to charge the Nexus 5 mid day if I wanted it to last past dinner (5/6 pm)

I use my phone as my alarm clock and have my wireless TYLT charger on my nightstand so regardless if my battery is 4% of 80% when I go to bed it's going on the charger every night no matter what.... So the battery life is "Acceptable" for my day to day usage..... But in general terms and compared to other devices in the phablet market it's not very good at all.... Marginal at best.....

The only argument I can have on it being acceptable is everyone should be sleeping for at least a couple of hours each day so charge your phone... If you travel a lot via Airplane and don't have regular access to a power outlet it could be an issue I guess.. I use to travel for a living 4 - 5 days per week and I always had at least an hour in the hotel before having to take off and I ALWAYS plugged my blackberry up back then while I was showering and changing before a dinner meeting or conference.... I've never NEEDED a device to last 2 days without charging.... but I also get the argument for this being unacceptable too... I agree it should be better... but now at least after two days I don't have to top charge during the day to make it to bed time....

Also don't know why while at it Motorola didn't just throw a 4,000 battery in the Nexus 6..... Already creating a monster go all out....

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Battery life is a weird subject to start with... IMO I got 17 hours yesterday with 3 hours of screen on time and 9 hours of that was spent in a WEAK signal area that I know takes a toll on your battery.... after 17 hours total and 3 hours screen on the battery was at 4%... For me 3 hours of screen on is about my average with the Nexus 5 but I had to charge the Nexus 5 mid day if I wanted it to last past dinner (5/6 pm)

I use my phone as my alarm clock and have my wireless TYLT charger on my nightstand so regardless if my battery is 4% of 80% when I go to bed it's going on the charger every night no matter what.... So the battery life is "Acceptable" for my day to day usage..... But in general terms and compared to other devices in the phablet market it's not very good at all.... Marginal at best.....

The only argument I can have on it being acceptable is everyone should be sleeping for at least a couple of hours each day so charge your phone... If you travel a lot via Airplane and don't have regular access to a power outlet it could be an issue I guess.. I use to travel for a living 4 - 5 days per week and I always had at least an hour in the hotel before having to take off and I ALWAYS plugged my blackberry up back then while I was showering and changing before a dinner meeting or conference.... I've never NEEDED a device to last 2 days without charging.... but I also get the argument for this being unacceptable too... I agree it should be better... but now at least after two days I don't have to top charge during the day to make it to bed time....

Also don't know why while at it Motorola didn't just throw a 4,000 battery in the Nexus 6..... Already creating a monster go all out....

yeah, I completely agree with you, I don't need a 2 days phone either. I just want a phone that I can comfortably use without worrying about battery lasting until before I go to sleep. with the nexus 5,its always connected to an outlet, at work, in the car or at home. I felt like I was carrying a desktop, haha. my hope had been with a phone this size, I'm giving up the size for battery. I'm very disappointed that the battery is only so so.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
yeah, I completely agree with you, I don't need a 2 days phone either. I just want a phone that I can comfortably use without worrying about battery lasting until before I go to sleep. with the nexus 5,its always connected to an outlet, at work, in the car or at home. I felt like I was carrying a desktop, haha. my hope had been with a phone this size, I'm giving up the size for battery. I'm very disappointed that the battery is only so so.

I'd be a lot happier if I was at 17 hours and 4 hours of screen on and still 15 - 20% remaining... but 17 hours 3 hours screen on and 4% remaining means it made it through the day with ease but was literally on fumes at bedtime....

and you are right... My Nexus 5 sat on the wireless charger at work any time I was not physically using it... at home I had two wireless chargers. One in the bedroom and one in the kitchen.... That way one was usually near by and it was habit to throw it down on the one in the kitchen while cooking or really anytime I wasn't physically using or needed it.... Just in case.... and I had one in the car... Anytime I had a trip longer than 30 minutes I'd lug it up so when I got there I knew I was at 100%... (or at least had a 30 minute charging boost in)

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I'd be a lot happier if I was at 17 hours and 4 hours of screen on and still 15 - 20% remaining... but 17 hours 3 hours screen on and 4% remaining means it made it through the day with ease but was literally on fumes at bedtime....

and you are right... My Nexus 5 sat on the wireless charger at work any time I was not physically using it... at home I had two wireless chargers. One in the bedroom and one in the kitchen.... That way one was usually near by and it was habit to throw it down on the one in the kitchen while cooking or really anytime I wasn't physically using or needed it.... Just in case.... and I had one in the car... Anytime I had a trip longer than 30 minutes I'd lug it up so when I got there I knew I was at 100%... (or at least had a 30 minute charging boost in)

haha, we are exactly alike. 3 wireless charger, 1 at work and 2 at home. I also have a wireless car charger in my car.

Last edited: