Nexus 6 Screen Issues ?

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I was on the phone for over 6 hours with Motorola yesterday and talked to 9 different people. My screen blinks really badly. Sometimes, full screen or just parts of the screen. It is also really jittery and fuzzy like a computer monitor would look if the refresh rate is off. It is constant and makes me dizzy looking at it for any amount of time. Anyway, Motorola said they did not have any replacements but could possibly do a refurb. I want a new phone if I am going to pay premium prices. So they said all they could do is just refund my money and have me send it back. So I am doing that. I know that every other phone launch I have seen, the manufacturer always makes some set aside for the purpose of replacing phones that get sent with defects out of the box. Yet motorola has none. So I am basically screwed. I will get my money back, and see if I can get one at TMobile today. If not I am not sure what I will do...

I'm thinking you'll need to try a different phone. There does seem to be some quality control related issues with these phones! I've returned one for a blown speaker.... Kinda sucks!

Posted via the Android Central App

papaint

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I also have the same problem and just realized that my phone doesn't do it without the case with a protective front cover.

Posted via the Android Central App

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a few different ones from the Play Store that came in scuffed straight out of a sealed box - some were scuffed along the aluminum and others had some weird greasy wear marks on the back of the phone that made it look like it was used. I ended up returning it to wait around until more stock is in. I felt like I was basically playing Russian Roulette with the Nexus 6 - I was nervous to open it up just because I knew there would be something wrong. Seems like there is a decent amount of QC problems right now. Which could explain why the stock is so low and basically non-existent. I still think this could be a GREAT phone, but I want to see some of the issues taken care of first. I may have to use a Moto X or Note 4 for the time being until these are more readily available.

Vahag Mkrtchyan

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I got my new Nexus 6 from Tmobile 4 days ago and yestarday while i was using it the screen turned all in white ang green.The phone didn't turn off.After many tries I actually turned it off.Today I called Tmobile thay tried to do troubleshooting but it didn't help.The screen turned on in his normal color but after that when i want to turn on it just loades.It didn't turn on and off.I don't know whats the problem but I sent phone back to Tmobile.

jrun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm also having the issue where half the screen freezes or turns black. I thought it had something to do with changing the screen density, but it does it with the density unchanged as well. I'm going to call tomorrow and see about getting a replacement before it's too late.

orangeman

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I have the screen freezing left to right. Sometimes offset in the same app, today the left half was one app and the right half was another app. It happens once every 2-3 days. I still have few days left in my initial 14-day trial so I'll be swapping it out.

orangeman

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Before I return mine, are we pretty sure the split screen freezing is hardware and not something that can be fixed with an update?

jrun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Excellent question.. To me, it feels like it's software related just based on the manner of the glitch.. Mine will freeze one half of the screen on the current app, i can press home and then the other half turns to my home screen.. both sides are displaying an image, one is just stuck.. There is no real technical basis on my assumption other than that's just the way it feels... feels like a software glitch.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Go into Developer Options and uncheck "Use NuPlayer."
It is noted as being experimental and has been traced to several screen issues.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band Nexus 6.

jrun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Would the NuPlayer cause this to happen even when you aren't watching a video? I'll just be on a browser page or scrolling thru the home screens and it will freeze up as well.

Edit - So i just disabled NuPlayer.. opened up a game.. and a minute into it it's doing the same thing, half the screen stopped working. So at least in my case, NuPlayer doesn't seem to be the culprit

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The only issue I have is the split screen issue, and it only happens in the morning when my alarm goes off. The left half is completely black while the right half works properly. Luckily, the right half is where the option is to turn off the alarm :)
I have not noticed this issue with any other apps or at any other time. Mine I got from ATT in store right around launch day. Also, I took a screenshot while the split screen was occurring to help determine if it was a software issue or a problem with the hardware displaying what the sw requested - the screenshot came out as a fully working screen. I'm not sure what level the screenshot app works at, but seems like it's either a hw issue or a display driver issue.

jrun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I did the same thing as you, i took a screen shot just in case i couldn't duplicate the issue while i took the phone into the store, the screen shot came out as normal, without the glitch. However, i was able to duplicate the issue while in the store anyways. Happens when i'm playing a game, a youtube video and just whenever, i could be scrolling thru the main desktop screens. Today is day 14 of my 14 day trial, so i'll be getting it replaced just in case it's a HW issue.. i don't want to be stuck with it and have it get worse over time. If the new device does it.. then i'm not sure what to do at that point. It did this while stock, i rooted and tried a custom rom, i disabled NuPlayer.. still happens. I'm hoping it's maybe a bug in lollipop for our phone / driver issue.

Ashutosh Parekh

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I too have the same issue with split screen. Top half will freeze and bottom half will continue playing the video but with lots of lag.
This happens when watch youtube and cricket2015 espn app.

Surprisingly this is not the case with netflixs app.

Device feels warmer to the touch before the split screen appears.

Should I be looking at replacing the device through google ?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine does it too. Att device resolution center says 5.1 should resolve issue
On the phone 5.0-5.0.2 was developed on? That says "testing is an option we chose to not waste money on" to me.

Google, you're not the only game in town, no matter what you think. Get on the stick, or the stick is going to get on you.

robert7107

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
On the phone 5.0-5.0.2 was developed on? That says "testing is an option we chose to not waste money on" to me.

Google, you're not the only game in town, no matter what you think. Get on the stick, or the stick is going to get on you.

Not following sorry.. My phone is at 5.0.1 got it that way.. On occasion it will split the screen..

leaf1193

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi all. I've had the Nexus 6 since April. Don't get me wrong, I love the device when it actually works. The new one I got from my carrier's store was defective as well as every one I've received since then. I'm in the process of getting my 4th device. Either half of the screen would go black, or I'd get grayish-greenish bars going across the entire screen. I didn't have temperature issues like some others have mentioned. At first it was intermittent, but now it will not go away. I've tried adjusting brightness, changing settings, charging, restarting, hard reboot, wiping cache, and factory resetting the device but nothing has fixed it. This is definitely a hardware issue. I've also had issues with my screen loading and unlocking when the screen has been on the fritz. I've had my phone replaced multiple times by Motorola, but every replacement I've received has had the same problems. This time, I'm doing the warranty exchange through my carrier since Motorola tried to charge me (on top of the security hold) to send a replacement device in advance since the "like new" device they sent was defective. I had a bad customer service experience when I tried to argue out of the fee, but this post isn't about their customer service reps. Hopefully, the phone I receive from my carrier is no longer defective or I will be switching devices.

vepac

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I have the issue while connected to the turbo charger, the backlight on different parts of the screen flicker. Doesn't bother me any though.

Posted via the Android Central App on my VZW Nexus 6