Google Nexus 6 A Question About Newly Released Phones

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a general question about the release of new phones. The N6 is the first phone that I have followed from the rumors about it to the actual roll out. I know from reading other posts that the lack of communication, delays, and short supply at the beginning are not the norm for phone releases. But how atypical has this release been?

And, more to the point, now that the phone is arriving, are the reports of problems with some of the phones pretty typical, too? I would imagine that, like any other product, a certain percentage will have problems and need to be replaced. However, once the issues have been identified, do the issues generally get addressed by the manufacturer so that the percentage of defective phones decreases?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: A Question About Newly Released Phones

I have a general question about the release of new phones. The N6 is the first phone that I have followed from the rumors about it to the actual roll out. I know from reading other posts that the lack of communication, delays, and short supply at the beginning are not the norm for phone releases. But how atypical has this release been?

And, more to the point, now that the phone is arriving, are the reports of problems with some of the phones pretty typical, too? I would imagine that, like any other product, a certain percentage will have problems and need to be replaced. However, once the issues have been identified, do the issues generally get addressed by the manufacturer so that the percentage of defective phones decreases?

The N6's launch isn't terribly surprising given the precedent set by launches of its earlier cousins. But it bears noting that this is the first phone to be launched that truly offers the purchaser freedom (well, at least if they bought it from Google Play) to move to any US major carrier without having to acquire new equipment, and therefor has that broader audience. Combining the unknown impact of that, it being a 6" screen, it being a generally unadvertised device, and the first phone to be offered directly by more than two major carriers, and you have all the ingredients necessary for the team comprised of Google, Motorola, and the carriers (all of whom had input as to what the anticipated demand would be) to grossly over- or under-estimate the actual supply needed for a launch.

As to issues with the device, it's wholly typical. Any mass-produced electronic device will end up with some defective units coming out of the factory that are missed by QC. Those of us here on the forum are, shall we say, a wee bit more attuned to notice the slightest faults, and will be quick to point them out. That being said, aside from a very few people having issues with the screens (in all of which cases I've read, they're being taken care of by Play / Motorola), there have been - if anything - fewer concerns voiced than I would have expected on a phone that has been so highly scrutinized and anticipated (at least by us) for so long.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante