Anyone else worried about Nexus 6 performance issues due to encryption?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Here is the article from droid life. Does anyone think Google will eventually offer a solution to this? Has anyone noticed issues with their Nexus 6?

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/2...-blame-the-encryption-that-you-cant-turn-off/

if i needed a phone, this wouldn't stop me. i'd still buy a Nexus 6. BUT since i already have a Nexus 5 with Lollipop - i will probably hold off another year and upgrade to the next Nexus because of this. Google may provide an OS Patch in the future allowing you to turn off encryption which should solve it but we don't know for sure. it seems like it would be an easy fix and give the choice to the customer. not everyone needs encryption and the performance hit! Google obviously needs to tweak the hardware of future phones and/or encryption methods in order to make it faster. Apple iPhones seem to have no problem with it.

but if you need a phone get the Nexus 6. i'm happy with my Nexus 5 for now but if i had to buy today i'd still get the Nexus 6.

good luck.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Once you get the device into your hands this doesn't matter in my opinion. This is all theoretical. The Nexus 6 screams

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
i haven't noticed any issue with the operation of the phone. The only problem I had was when I unlocked my bootloader, it took longer to boot back up, but that's just the theory.

morphixxp

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I agree with robber. I really don't understand what the fuss is all about. I am having absolutely no issues with my Nexus 6 at all. No lag. No speed issues.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't mind it's slower, I just hope this isn't another reason why the battery isn't only medicore.

Posted via the Android Central App

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Once you get the device into your hands this doesn't matter in my opinion. This is all theoretical. The Nexus 6 screams

I ran a bunch of test side by side with my KitKat Nexus 5 and it was annoying and frustrating that the N5 was loading faster.... Kept pissing me off... and then I put the N5 away and just starting using it like I would normally use my phone and you don't even notice that very slight difference in speed.. The phone is awesome.... Then last night my Nexus 5 had the OTA update to Lollipop and after it was done I was going to play with my Nexus 5 to see if there were any major differences with it on the 5 vs the 6 and I couldn't do it... Just 36 hours with the 6 and there is no way I can go back down to that smaller screen... I didn't even want to play with it for 30 seconds......

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree with robber. I really don't understand what the fuss is all about. I am having absolutely no issues with my Nexus 6 at all. No lag. No speed issues.

how much data storage have you used vs. available? what size is your phone 32GB or 64GB?

i wonder if the more data and apps you have installed or available storage to push around - the harder the phone/encryption has to work. just a theory.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
how much data storage have you used vs. available? what size is your phone 32GB or 64GB?

i wonder if the more data and apps you have installed or available storage to push around - the harder the phone/encryption has to work. just a theory.

Encryption/decryption only happens on a write or a read. It's not going to work harder when it's more full.

And yeah, the N6 screams. It's also smooth as butter. I haven't noticed any slowdowns or hiccups.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Encryption/decryption only happens on a write or a read. It's not going to work harder when it's more full.

And yeah, the N6 screams. It's also smooth as butter. I haven't noticed any slowdowns or hiccups.

I could point out a few instances of dropped frame rates, but honestly, the amount of people who will notice or care about this could probably be counted on fingers and toes. I've been a huge detractor of this device since it was announced and I can tell you I'm not concerned about real world performance on this phone. It's fast. Really, really fast. Now that I know battery life isn't being affected by this, I'm not really concerned with this at all.

That being said, we should have a choice of whether we want to encrypt our devices because while I don't think it's a huge deal, I'd rather not see any dropped frame rates at all.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Google may provide an OS Patch in the future allowing you to turn off encryption which should solve it but we don't know for sure. it seems like it would be an easy fix and give the choice to the customer. not everyone needs encryption and the performance hit!

Agreed, 100%. If there were some glaring security issue that left Android devices exposed and at substantial, realistic risk without this new encryption, I think we'd all be fine with it and expect it as an update to all devices even without necessarily getting Lollipop. Or, if added levels of security can be added without substantially impacting performance, this would probably not even be a topic of much note.

But if the impact is as substantial as recorded in AnandTech's study, and this is like mandating installation of a speed governor to a vehicle to keep people safer by limiting it to 45mph, it should be an optional item. While it's true most will not notice it, not everyone wants or needs it, and those should be given the option to disable it.

For my purposes, the most read/write-intensive task I expect I might do would be 4k video recording and transfer. From what I've been able to scour, 4k 30fps video recording on mobile devices runs outputs in the vicinitiy of a 48Mbps bit rate. I'd be interested to learn the difference in time it would take to transfer say a 10 minute video at that spec with or without encryption - with a file that large, it could be a considerable difference.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz