Google Nexus 6 Anyone switch their keyboard yet?

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone switch their keyboard yet?

The lollipop keyboard is much better when you lower the time for long press.... I don't really need a dedicated number row because you can long hold very quickly (this is the main reason Swiftkey used to be my favorite) I usually set mine around 200 ms

BobDaNob

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

The lollipop keyboard is much better when you lower the time for long press.... I don't really need a dedicated number row because you can long hold very quickly (this is the main reason Swiftkey used to be my favorite) I usually set mine around 200 ms

I agree. It's one of those tiny little tweaks that changes the entire experience.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Keyboards don't matter much to me. I hit the mic button and talk to it, and let it do the typing for me. I rarely have a problem with it understanding me because I have a monotone voice and my pronunciation is very good and clear. I longed for the day when I could talk to my phone and have it understand me, so I'm darn well going to take advantage of it. Keyboards? They're so 2004. ;)

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

OK, so I'm rocking an LG G3 not the Nexus 6, but I figured I'd throw my voice in as well. So here's my $0.02....

On my Gnex, Once I discovered Swiftkey there was no other keyboard. I tried lots, but Swiftkey was the best, lag and all. When I switched to my S4, Kii had me interested for a while, and the odd time Google's kitkat keyboard, but 2 things really keep me into Swiftkey. I can adjust the overall height of it, and the predictions. I like the new Lollipop keyboard (I'm trying to use both regular and PC layouts for a bit, to give them a chance) but Swiftkey still has that adjustable height. For me even with fairly long fingers, I prefer less vertical reach if I can while typing. I mean, the G3 isn't a tiny device either, and reaching over 1/3 of the screen height (lollipop keyboard) vs just under a quarter (Swiftkey) has a pretty big effect on typing speed for me. Predictions in Swifkey are great, but Lollipop isn't bad either. I also paid for Swiftkey before it was free, so I kinda feel obliged to keep using it - and will until I find something even better.

I do like how fast and light the lollipop keyboard app is though - there is still lag before Swiftkey pops up. Not as bad as it used to be, but noticable especially compared to lollipop KB. If Lollipop would have an option to scale the height (similar to Swiftkey) they'd have a serious contender in my books!

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

I've always thought SwiftKey was overrated and have installed and removed it many times. But their newest update post Lollipop on Nexus 5 is excellent. The Google keyboard is a bit weird - the choices across the bar at the top of the keyboard never include the word I'm typing.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site

I can never seem to adjust to any non-Swiftkey keyboard. The combination of the automatic spacing and prediction really save you keystrokes. I demand not typing every letter now. In most cases you don't have to type more than a letter or two before you can select the entire next word.

One thing I hate about the Google keyboard is that if your word didn't make it into the selection bar, you have to complete the word (correctly I might add) or you're going to get one of the incorrect predictions.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

SwiftKey! I've used it for years. It loves me and knows my every thought.

I used the new material keyboard for a while to see what they did with it. It's very nice and well done.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Well, I have been using the N6 for a bit since receiving it today. As predicted, the small mode in SwiftKey that squishes it to the side actually makes the N6 a one-hand and one-thumb device.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site

Anyone have an issue with SwiftKey not vibrating? I have it set to, but it refuses. Uninstall, reinstall, etc.

Last edited:

kgeissler

May 3, 2010
Visit site

Anyone have an issue with SwiftKey not vibrating? I have it set to, but it refuses. Uninstall, reinstall, etc.
Go into SwiftKey settings and adjust the vibration settings. Mine was initially set to low. I changed it to 25ms and it works great now.

lukejwalka23

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

SwiftKey, but every now and then I'll switch over to Minuum (especially when people want to use my phone).

Posted via my Moto Nexus 6 on VZW

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site

I've used SwiftKey for years, and since it's tied into my Google account, it "knows" me. It was one of the first apps I installed with I powered on my N6.

iiari

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
The Google keyboard is vastly improved, but SwiftKey is pretty much perfect. Those arrow keys have become indispensable.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance