12-03-2014 09:08 PM
35 12
tools
    Anyone use this feature called tap n go, where you use NFC and hold your old phone (with nfc) to the N6 and you are supposed to be able to upgrade all your apps and settings.

Did it work good?

Anything to help ease the upgrade. Who likes to add in their email sever data and their tapatalk passwords and all that junk?
    11-21-2014 09:29 PM
    I used it with my Nexus 5 it only seemed like it transferred my Google account and nothing else
    11-21-2014 09:32 PM
    Shoot I was hoping it would be more than that.
    The article I linked in the op said that most all of the apps transferred. That was from a N5 to N7 though.
    Maybe some others had better luck.

I still gotta wait about 2 weeks before mine ships, just preparing for the upgrade.
    11-21-2014 09:54 PM
    I think maybe if you have it where your apps are backed up on Google I did not have that feature on my Nexus 5 enabled
    11-21-2014 10:27 PM
    I used it to switch from my Verizon Galaxy S5 to my (unofficial) Verizon Nexus 6. It worked pretty well and was fairly quick but not all my apps were transfered over. Still had to go get a few. Not bad though and was definitely easy.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-21-2014 11:30 PM
    Did it also bring over app data, like account info, user profiles and such? How did that go?

Android Central App
    LG G3
    11-22-2014 07:16 AM
    I used it and it brought over all apps(had to download them), wallpaper, the way my I had my screen setup and folders on the screen. It did just about everything. You might have to reset up some widgets. Also you will need to sign into twitter, and any other accounts beside your gmail acct. It did not bring over app data. But it was a huge head start on where we used to be when switching phones.
    11-22-2014 07:29 AM
    I tried it, but I use Nova Launcher so it didn't bring over much of anything. I found that the feature helped in ES File Explorer when bringing files & folders over. Until I tapped my Moto X and Nexus 6 together, I couldn't make the phones communicate with one another. But once I did that, I was able to transfer all my folders over.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    11-22-2014 07:45 AM
    You know what, who am I kidding.

I was going to unlock the bootloader and root it like probably a minute or 2 after I get it out of the box.
    Then just run Titanuim backup and you get a phone exactly how your previous phone was.
    I'm running an N5 with lollipop and its running good, so I know the TB transfer will be solid to the N6.

In the end, the tap n go sounded good for a bit, but nothing is gonna beat a TB restore.
    11-22-2014 09:10 AM
    Anyone use this feature called tap n go, where you use NFC and hold your old phone (with nfc) to the N6 and you are supposed to be able to upgrade all your apps and settings.

Did it work good?

Anything to help ease the upgrade. Who likes to add in their email sever data and their tapatalk passwords and all that junk?
    Worked pretty good! Brought over most of my apps.. a few I had to manually install and a couple said they were not compatible with this device... but it was pretty neat and painless
    11-22-2014 09:36 AM
    Worked pretty good! Brought over most of my apps.. a few I had to manually install and a couple said they were not compatible with this device... but it was pretty neat and painless
    It's pointless. Log into a new phone with your Google account, and the same stuff will happen.

11-23-2014 12:25 AM
    It's pointless. Log into a new phone with your Google account, and the same stuff will happen.

Just saves you a few seconds to type in your password..
    11-23-2014 07:55 AM
    Saw where you can select which apps will load. I like that. I really don't want a dump of everything from my old phone.
    rowdyspartan likes this.
    11-23-2014 08:06 AM
    Saw where you can select which apps will load. I like that. I really don't want a dump of everything from my old phone.
    Ah.

11-23-2014 08:55 AM

I disagree, I didn't have to enter in any of my WiFi networks (and their passwords). That alone was worth its weight in gold.

I only have 120 apps and since I had my N5 to preview Lollipops I know what I could take off, when I was given a choice. When I logged into my N5 I had things downloaded that I haven't used since my original G1...LOL happened on Note 2, LG G2x, and HTC G2. Clean up was a PITA... Another thing that works much better than login sync. Upside, my folders, widget, and app placements were all copied too... So I didn't need to reset all those items...😸

I do agree there are some downsides. Some of the biggest I've come across are:
    - passwords for apps don't transfer over.
    - you still need to open each app anyway once they are downloaded tot he phone.
    - I'm sure there were note but I'm tired of typing...LOL

rowdyspartan likes this.
    11-23-2014 09:53 AM
    I disagree, I didn't have to enter in any of my WiFi networks (and their passwords). That alone was worth its weight in gold.
    That alone is worth nothing, since google back up restore does that.

11-23-2014 08:46 PM
    Pretty useless. It transfered my wallpaper, downloaded some of my apps, DID NOT bring over my Wi-Fi passwords.

That last one hurts. Is there a way to force restore all the Wi-Fi login info??

AC App
    Nexus 7 2013
    11-24-2014 01:38 PM
    That alone is worth nothing, since google back up restore does that.

I don't see how it's worth nothing.... I mean YES Google back up does all this but you still have to go through the process of manually typing in your gmail address and password and then it pulls everything up... I used this and tap to my Nexus 5 and after a few seconds it said phone was set up... All that information was crossed over just like Google Back up.... Wasn't exactly GROUND BREAKING but it saves you maybe 60 - 90 seconds?? I guess depends on how fast you are at typing in your gmail and password...... and then it did basically the same thing Google back up does when you put in your information...

Just simplified an already simplified process...
    Antony Cha likes this.
    11-24-2014 01:53 PM
    I don't see how it's worth nothing.... I mean YES Google back up does all this but you still have to go through the process of manually typing in your gmail address and password and then it pulls everything up... I used this and tap to my Nexus 5 and after a few seconds it said phone was set up... All that information was crossed over just like Google Back up.... Wasn't exactly GROUND BREAKING but it saves you maybe 60 - 90 seconds?? I guess depends on how fast you are at typing in your gmail and password...... and then it did basically the same thing Google back up does when you put in your information...

Just simplified an already simplified process...
    Reals. I didn't say it was bad. Just nothing different that Google restore.

11-24-2014 07:46 PM
    Pretty useless. It transfered my wallpaper, downloaded some of my apps, DID NOT bring over my Wi-Fi passwords.

That last one hurts. Is there a way to force restore all the Wi-Fi login info??

AC App
    Nexus 7 2013
    My WiFi passwords seem to always transfer.

11-24-2014 07:47 PM
    My WiFi passwords seem to always transfer.

Mine used to, but when I went from Note 2 to G3, and G3 to Nexus 6, no dice :-/

They're all still on my Nexus 7, so they're still backed up someway somehow...

AC App
    Nexus 6
    11-24-2014 07:53 PM
    Will Factory Data Reset erase the file structure and restore Lollipop so any imported folders & files from my old phone will be removed? The file structure currently looks like vomit to me.
    11-25-2014 08:56 AM
    I may try this with my N4 to N6 migration.

I factory flashed the N7 and N4 and they picked everything up nicely upon login.

The one gripe I have is that at some point on both handsets I lost the Lollipop wallpapers and have some old tired ones from previous Nexus releases.
    11-26-2014 05:16 AM
    I've tried it going from my Nexus 5 to the 6. Saves you the hassle of remembering and typing in your passwords at least. It's a nice little convenience. Disappointed that it doesn't transfer app data but that's not a huge deal.

On a sort-of-related note, I like that the setup screen actually takes into account 2-factor authentication text messages. It was extremely annoying to have to type in your account password and then you'd have to wait for the the verification code via text which is inaccessible because the notification shade is not active during setup. Now it automatically reads the code and brings you through to the next step.
    11-26-2014 06:07 AM
    It didn't seem to work for me. how can I run it again?
    11-26-2014 01:26 PM
35 12