Are you OK with the knowledge that your N6 has its performance crippled by up to 80%?

doubleblack

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Everyone is talking about a solution to this problem in XDA to disable encryption, I have a MUCH easier solution:

1) Obtain Nexus 6 (apparently, this is the hardest step)
2) Don't install or run any benchmark apps on it
3) PROFIT!

Seriously, this is way faster than any Nexus 5 or any other phone out and if the only time you are going to notice it is if running a silly benchmark program which are so articficial anyway, then who cares. It's the daily experience that matters, not what a program tells you.

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is talking about a solution to this problem in XDA to disable encryption, I have a MUCH easier solution:

3) PROFIT!

Seriously, this is way faster than any Nexus 5 or any other phone out and if the only time you are going to notice it is if running a silly benchmark program which are so articficial anyway, then who cares. It's the daily experience that matters, not what a program tells you.

This is true but I was getting some weird pausing in recents & sometimes a delayed launch after tapping an app but after disabling the encryption everything is instantaneous now.

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Waiting on N5 until they release a white 64 GB model and Google releases an update to make encryption optional.

Posted via the Android Central App

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
What are the actual chances that Google will come out with a way to turn encryption off? Or another way to speed things up?

I agree app opening an be slow. Otherwise it's faster than my iPhone 6.

Btw, what is the encryption good for, if I don't have a password on my login screen?

rdalcanto

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
What are the actual chances that Google will come out with a way to turn encryption off? Or another way to speed things up?

I agree app opening an be slow. Otherwise it's faster than my iPhone 6.

Btw, what is the encryption good for, if I don't have a password on my login screen?

I believe encryption protects the content on your phone, including sensitive information like passwords, from being hacked by someone. I know that as a doctor, the hospital system I work for has Apps that allow you to look up patient information from your phone, but they only have allowed it on I-Phones because Android has not had the proper security. Maybe after 5.0 they will finally let us do work that involves sensitive patient information on Android phones.

TeritorialDemon

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
What gains in screen quality and battery? The note 4 is absolutely stunning and has the best screen out there and is amoled. And as far as battery goes I find amoled to be more battery efficient. My experiences with the note 10.1 2014 edition and tab S 10.5 which the only difference is amoled vs lcd as far as screen goes I found the tab s last about 2 hours longer

The nexus 6 display is a tad worse the the note 4 and better then the turbo imo

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Have to disagree with you on the samsung note 4 having the best screen. LG G3 is better in my opinion. Just an opinion as I'm sure yours was.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site

3) PROFIT!

I dunno. I love the phone, but it absolutely have random hiccups and pauses that are apparently associated with the encryption. My M8 is smoother/faster and is older, so I don't think it's fair to say one doesn't notice slow downs.

J00P24

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I dunno. I love the phone, but it absolutely have random hiccups and pauses that are apparently associated with the encryption. My M8 is smoother/faster and is older, so I don't think it's fair to say one doesn't notice slow downs.

Mine does slow down too. Even if just going to google now.

doubleblack

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I certainly cannot dispute the fact that you have "slow downs" if you are experiencing them, I along with many others have not. I understand you THINK it is associated with encryption but do you have any logs or other proof? I have not experienced a single "slow down" since getting my phone and I know others have not either. Sounds to me like you have an app that is causing it, or an app that doesn't like being encrypted, or an app that doesn't like ART or something app specific. Lollipop in general seems perfectly fine with encryption.

Lastly, for the record, I believe there should be a way to disable it - if anything in the developer options or something. It can be enabled by default sure, but should have a mechanism in place to decrypt. All I'm trying to say is that encryption is not crippling this phone by 80%, or even more than 5-10% IMO, in daily use.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Not that they had my respect before, but the AndroidCentral podcasters poo-poo'd the hit caused by the crypto. Totally ridiculous, they can obsess about a million biases and imagined customer reactions but when faced with video and test data they sweep it under the rug. Maybe because they completely and totally missed it in their coverage?

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site

3) PROFIT!

???

Have you seen this video? (You have to sit through an ad but it shows the N5 and N6 side by side doing things)

Ad Unit Player

bojackr1

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
[How-To] Disable Forced Encryption | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums

What about this? The reason I'm asking is because I haven't tried it and I may not try it but it may be an option. I understand that Nexus phones are Pure Android/Google software that may or may not have bugs and I also understood this BEFORE I purchased the phone. I knew it wasn't Samsung, LG or Apple and that I'd have to almost fully customize it myself. Correct me if i'm wrong but but that's what you sign up for when you purchase a Nexus.

I understand that if youre having software, hardware or carrier issues it's a different story.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Have you seen this video? (You have to sit through an ad but it shows the N5 and N6 side by side doing things)
That is a very interesting comparison. But it doesn't necessarily mean that FDE is the cause of the difference in app launches. Nor does a benchmark always prove/disprove real world performance.

So, to answer the original question "Are you OK with the knowledge that your N6 has its performance crippled by up to 80%?"... I don't know. I am concerned, no doubt. Do I think FDE has an 80% performance impact in consumer usage? Not hardly. A certain percentage, no doubt. But I cannot say how significant, nor can most everyone in this thread.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
That is a very interesting comparison. But it doesn't necessarily mean that FDE is the cause of the difference in app launches. Nor does a benchmark always prove/disprove real world performance.

So, to answer the original question "Are you OK with the knowledge that your N6 has its performance crippled by up to 80%?"... I don't know. I am concerned, no doubt. Do I think FDE has an 80% performance impact in consumer usage? Not hardly. A certain percentage, no doubt. But I cannot say how significant, nor can most everyone in this thread.
So riddle me this... What else could it be? We have more powerful resources in this phone. If it were equal to the performance of the previous generation it would be a disappointment let alone having it perform below the previous generation.

If it's not the encryption that means either the hardware design was bungled or the software design was bungled. Neither seems likely.

Google could code support for the crypto engine in the 805. They haven't. They've chosen to wait for ARM v8. We may not even see OS support for hardware acceleration until next year (5.1). Shame on them.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Samsung wouldn't make their latest gen panel for Moto to put on the Nexus 6, so they settled for an older panel. Would've been more efficient/better quality if they could have had their latest. Since that wasn't going to happen, I would've preferred an IPS panel.

I've been searching for this post and couldn't remember where you posted it. I agree about the IPS panel. I think they wanted to have the ambient display and it's more efficient using a AMOLED since few pixels have to light up. It's kind of annoying that Samsung would do this. People who like the Note 4 are going to like it anyway regardless if the Nexus 6 had the nice panel like the Note 4.

I like Samsung products but don't like some of their business practices.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
[How-To] Disable Forced Encryption | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums

What about this? The reason I'm asking is because I haven't tried it and I may not try it but it may be an option. I understand that Nexus phones are Pure Android/Google software that may or may not have bugs and I also understood this BEFORE I purchased the phone. I knew it wasn't Samsung, LG or Apple and that I'd have to almost fully customize it myself. Correct me if i'm wrong but but that's what you sign up for when you purchase a Nexus.

I understand that if youre having software, hardware or carrier issues it's a different story.

Your assumption may be correct, but it's not how I view the N6. I viewed it as a smooth running phone with minimal add-ons (i.e., bloat) that I could customize as I wish. I consider customizing things like choosing a wallpaper, adding a launcher, and implementing whatever changes I could through a launcher, various apps, and menu choices within the OS. I do NOT consider customizing to involve a nine-step process, including flashing a file, that comes with a disclaimer that the developer is not responsible for any adverse outcomes. For a certain segment of people who post on this board, almost every device is fully customizable because they are comfortable and happy to root and maintain a rooted phone. Many of us are not in that category.

If you are viewing this from a developer's point of view, then yes, they are no doubt very happy to have a phone that they can easily root or customize as they please without dealing with some of the barriers other manufacturers try to set up to stop them. Perhaps you are in the group of people who feel that the Nexus phones are really just a phone designed for developers. It seems to me that it has a more widespread appeal than that, and the Nexus 6 is clearly being marketed to the general public.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Thread is full of Nexus apologists as usual. It doesn't really matter if the phone is 'fast enough' for you. The fact is encryption was forced on a phone without the necessary support.

Do people realize the 805 has a hw encryption module that Google doesn't use, that would completely remove any performance degradation.
Do people realize the iPhone 6 also does full disk encryption without any slowdown?

Rooting your phone and disabling an imp security measure is like removing airbags from your car because the manufacturer didn't make them work properly, and then claiming that your car is fine.