Does anyone know where the plane from Shenzhen, China lands first? California? Just trying to figure out when my phone is going to make it to the states. It was originally scheduled for delivery tomorrow, 11/25 but now it says Wednesday. Fingers crossed this is the one time FedEx doesn't drop the ball. Hoping for an early delivery.
    11-24-2014 05:25 PM
    Memphis
    11-24-2014 05:36 PM
    Is on the flight that's in the air now?
    11-24-2014 05:37 PM
    Had to back through the other thread to find this post:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post4063737

to get the link to the flight that the phones should be on:

FedEx (FX) #5982 ✈ FlightAware
    joe_m_p likes this.
    11-24-2014 05:41 PM
    Is on the flight that's in the air now?
    Don't know if it's in the air right now. The last scan was today at 6:12 am PST at Chek Lap Kok Hong Kong. Terrible.
    11-24-2014 06:14 PM
    Had to back through the other thread to find this post:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post4063737

to get the link to the flight that the phones should be on:

Nice...thanks for the link.
    11-24-2014 06:15 PM
    If it gets to Memphis tonight , you could get it tomorrow. O got mine the next morning ,I'm in Pennsylvania.
    11-24-2014 06:18 PM
    If it gets to Memphis tonight , you could get it tomorrow. O got mine the next morning ,I'm in Pennsylvania.
    I hope so but Memphis is a long way from Cali. This flight tracker thing is cool.
    11-24-2014 06:22 PM
    I was wondering if it would fly from HK. Super close to Shenzhen.

I've flown Chicago to HK which is about 14hrs. They're doing the reverse in under 14hrs to Memphis which is further. Not bad. Must also be using an Arctic route like Chicago flight plans do.
    11-26-2014 05:21 AM
    I was wondering if it would fly from HK. Super close to Shenzhen.

I've flown Chicago to HK which is about 14hrs. They're doing the reverse in under 14hrs to Memphis which is further. Not bad. Must also be using an Arctic route like Chicago flight plans do.
    Going to Hong Kong from the US you are flying into the wind.. Coming back you have the wind and jet stream to your back pushing you along.... Flights going West to East are usually faster because of this.....
    11-26-2014 07:52 AM
    Going to Hong Kong from the US you are flying into the wind.. Coming back you have the wind and jet stream to your back pushing you along.... Flights going West to East are usually faster because of this.....
    Yeah but those flights go over the Arctic Circle...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_route

I'd be willing to bet FedEx routes their planes that way too.
    11-26-2014 07:53 AM
    Yeah but those flights go over the Arctic Circle...

Polar route - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd be willing to bet FedEx routes their planes that way too.

They do not.... You can click the link and see the route of the aircraft... goes over the Pacific Ocean up towards Alaska into Canada and down into the US and into Memphis....
    11-26-2014 08:09 AM

They do not.... You can click the link and see the route of the aircraft... goes over the Pacific Ocean up towards Alaska into Canada and down into the US and into Memphis....
    Interesting. I wonder if they route over the Arctic during warmer months. It may be too cold now.
    11-26-2014 08:15 AM
    Interesting. I wonder if they route over the Arctic during warmer months. It may be too cold now.
    Shouldn't matter..... Temperatures at 30,000+ feet are pretty darn cold to start with.... Even August in Texas if you are at 30,000+ feet it's going to be pretty darn cold, the type of aircraft that travel to those kind of altitudes have a ton of ice warning systems and heating elements to melt said ice.... and freight aircraft have far fewer restrictions on flight as passenger aircraft do... They can usually do things passenger aircraft can't. The Polar routes were mainly used because it was quicker and shorter to go over the caps (Depending on the starting and ending points) Hong Kong to Chicago is probably shorter going over the cap vs Memphis..... They usually take the quickest route.... Might be shorter to go over the caps but quicker to use the jet stream and push you across the ocean????
    11-26-2014 08:26 AM
    Shouldn't matter..... Temperatures at 30,000+ feet are pretty darn cold to start with.... Even August in Texas if you are at 30,000+ feet it's going to be pretty darn cold, the type of aircraft that travel to those kind of altitudes have a ton of ice warning systems and heating elements to melt said ice.... and freight aircraft have far fewer restrictions on flight as passenger aircraft do... They can usually do things passenger aircraft can't. The Polar routes were mainly used because it was quicker and shorter to go over the caps (Depending on the starting and ending points) Hong Kong to Chicago is probably shorter going over the cap vs Memphis..... They usually take the quickest route.... Might be shorter to go over the caps but quicker to use the jet stream and push you across the ocean????
    Not what the wiki article says regarding freezing fuel.
    11-26-2014 08:28 AM
    Not what the wiki article says regarding freezing fuel.
    and Wiki is always accurate..... Yes jet fuel begins to freeze at -50 C.... Pilots have all sorts of warning instruments for freezing temperatures and ice build up and if the temperatures in the wings/fuel cells drop they can adjust altitude and other measures to keep the fuel warm or at least above the freezing temperature...

I work for Boeing Aerospace and in Commercial airline sales.... FedEx is actually my customer and the Boeing 777 LR aircraft they use on that trek from Hong Kong to Memphis is made by us.... At retail of about $300 million I assure you that aircraft is only going to have fuel freeze and go down if a lot of things go wrong in row and a lot of different warning systems fail all at once... Even older aircraft have been updated and retrofitted enough that they can make that flight over the caps year round.... was a bigger issue 20, 30 or 40 years ago vs now..... Way back they couldn't make those flights because of issues with navigation systems that have been improved and fixed over the years.....
    CarbonOak likes this.
    11-26-2014 08:39 AM
    Good to know. I was hoping I could coax your background out of you... 😂
    Robbie317 likes this.
    11-26-2014 09:25 AM