Amazon to make the Next Nexus Device??

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me for cross posting, but the Fire phone forum seems dead....

If there is a catch, I apologize, as this seams too good to be true.....

Just saw this on Slickdeals:

32GB Amazon Fire Unlocked GSM Phone + 1-Year Amazon Prime Membership $199 + Free Shipping - Amazon Deals, Coupons and Promos

They are selling the phone $199.99 Off Contract and still including a year of Amazon Prime.

I have no need to get another phone, as I just got a new Nexus 6 a few days ago, but it includes a year of Prime and is off contract.

This seems to be as good as the HP Touchpad sale a couple years ago. Once developers got a hold of it, it was a damn fine Android Tablet.

I'm really not trying to thread crap, but OMG, this seems like a steal.

I am not a techie, but can someone weigh in and give their opinion if this has the potential to run Lollipop?

The Nexus 6 is awesome, but if the Fire Phone can run Lollipop too...

Anybody else going to buy one?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I just pulled the trigger, as it will also work on Tmobile too and I don't have PRIME. Also, if you have Prime and buy this, it will extend your membership for one more year....

As I said, this was an impulse buy.

Can anyone give any advice on how easy it would be to turn this into a cheap Android phone running KitKat or Lollipop. I really have no need for a smartphone without all the Google services.

I actually feel a little bad for Amazon. It seems like a nice phone with nice hardware, but apparently most people took a pass.

UPDATE: I reconsidered and canceled my order. I don't really need
one and the developer support for Lollipop may or may not come.

Maybe the phone really is a lemon, or maybe I'll order it again tomorrow.

Just seems like it may have some potential down the road like the old HP Touchpad.

Last edited:

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I just pulled the trigger, as it will also work on Tmobile too and I don't have PRIME. Also, if you have Prime and buy this, it will extend your membership for one more year....

As I said, this was an impulse buy.

Can anyone give any advice on how easy it would be to turn this into a cheap Android phone running KitKat or Lollipop. I really have no need for a smartphone without all the Google services.

I actually feel a little bad for Amazon. It seems like a nice phone with nice hardware, but apparently most people took a pass.

Well I am also paying for Verizon and t-mobile which is about $300 a month for really don't have much room to spend on a toy basically lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
The title of this thread says that Amazon (not a manufacturer last time I checked) was going to make a Nexus phone... and it's not April 1st. :D

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Not worth $99 with free prime. And with that said doubt there would ever be any solid development. Feel free to venture over to XDA to see how it looks.
Unfortunately this shares the fate of the Facebook phone and reminds me of that crap ESPN flip phone they tried back in the day lol

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Not worth $99 with free prime. And with that said doubt there would ever be any solid development. Feel free to venture over to XDA to see how it looks.
Unfortunately this shares the fate of the Facebook phone and reminds me of that crap ESPN flip phone they tried back in the day lol
Thanks for your assessment. Obviously, the pricing was attractive and it seemed like it would be easy to expect someone to port Lollipop or Cyanogen mod over, since it's hardware would support it.

However, many people seem to share your opinion. It's not even worth $100 with Prime.

When I bough the HP Touch pad, it was also a blind buy and I was very pleased. I also got the Moto G for under $75 and thought it was great, even as a wifi only device.

I guess cheap is not always good

One person had said it was a steal because it was $150 cheaper than a new Nexus 5.....I guess there is a reason why.

It's funny, I paid full retail for the Nexus 6 and think of that as a heck of a deal, after using it for less than a week.

Last edited:

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your assessment. Obviously, the pricing was attractive and it seemed like it would be easy to expect someone to port Lollipop or Cyanogen mod over, since it's hardware would support it.

However, many people seem to share your opinion. It's not even worth $100 with Prime.

When I bough the HP Touch pad, it was also a blind buy and I was very pleased. I also got the Moto G for under $75 and thought it was great, even as a wifi only device.

I guess cheap is not always good

One person had said it was a steal because it was $150 cheaper than a new Nexus 5.....I guess there is a reason why.

It's funny, I paid full retail for the Nexus 6 and think of that as a heck of a deal, after using it for less than a week.

I wouldn't call the nexus 6 a "deal"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Anybody else going to buy one?

They are just trying to get rid of a bad mistake.....

Just How Big of a Flop Is the Amazon Fire Phone? (AMZN)

On the company's third-quarter conference call, CFO Tom Szkutak told analysts the company had to write down $170 million in Fire Phone inventory and supplier commitment costs related to the device. After the writedown, Amazon is still left with a whopping $83 million of Fire Phone inventory.

Based on the figure of $83 million in inventory laying around at say a cost of $350 each they have about 250,000 phones laying around....

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
What does this have to do with Amazon making the next Nexus?

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

Didn't mean to be confusing with the title....Just figured if there was an easy way to put pure Android on a $200 phone, it could be a great phone at a low cost. However, it looks like it won't be easy to modify the OS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol