12-09-2014 09:51 AM
31 12
tools
    I have been having meh battery, maybe 3-4 SoT over the course of a day. I have all green signal, so I know it's not cellular. I have even flipped it to HSPA only, so LTE desn't get used to see if that radio is better.

But for some reason, my largest battery sucker is Google services. I always see it has hours of mobile radio active, is that the problem?

I have tried with BT, WIFI, LOCATION services off, no change. I have minimized all of the google syn stuff to just mail, contacts, and calendar. No other apps to suck up or push/pull either. I have wakelock, and greenify setup on all my games so they are not running in the background.

I use 30~% battery, have tried with adaptive on/off no real change. Same for ambient mode, saw no real change disabling or enabling that either.

I also tried this stock, with only my basic apps loaded, no better battery. I have now rooted, removed encryption, and unlocked the bootloader and this is probably where I saw at least hitting 3 + hours. Before it was 2-3 max SoT.

Oy! Anything else I am missing, or should look out for? I would just be happy with 4 hours on this beast.

EDIT: I also disabled google hangouts, I thought that being on all the time was causing it, it wasn't.
    11-28-2014 11:32 AM
    What version of Google Play Services are you running?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-28-2014 11:47 AM
    stock... 6.5.87 (1599771-430)
    11-28-2014 11:52 AM
    I have an imgur link but can't post it so here's the last bits of it /a/N0Lha just but Imgur dot come in front of that.
    11-29-2014 12:08 PM
    Try Greenify, it's in the Play Store. It will track down and kill your running processes. It increased my battery life by at least 30%.
    11-29-2014 12:19 PM
    Try Greenify, it's in the Play Store. It will track down and kill your running processes. It increased my battery life by at least 30%.
    someone didn't read my post..I already have greenify and wakelock.
    11-29-2014 12:26 PM
    so for fun, I disabled background data for a day, and I got to 80%~ battery left with 1.5 hours of SoT and 20 hours of standby...sooooo something is up with google services for sure.

Is it possible to disable google email auto sync and do everything manually as I open applications? I don't mind it, I don't need to have everything sync'd if it burns up 60% battery for the day.
    12-01-2014 09:17 AM
    so for fun, I disabled background data for a day, and I got to 80%~ battery left with 1.5 hours of SoT and 20 hours of standby...sooooo something is up with google services for sure.

Is it possible to disable google email auto sync and do everything manually as I open applications? I don't mind it, I don't need to have everything sync'd if it burns up 60% battery for the day.
    Settings, accounts, Google, your email address, unchecked gmail

12-01-2014 11:56 AM
    Settings, accounts, Google, your email address, unchecked gmail

Will it still sync manually though? Like if I go to contacts, it will reach out and update contacts? Or if I click calendar app it'll go update the cal?
    12-01-2014 01:23 PM
    Will it still sync manually though? Like if I go to contacts, it will reach out and update contacts? Or if I click calendar app it'll go update the cal?
    Yes it will. Everything else won't be impacted.

12-01-2014 02:31 PM
    Is there a definition as to what each of these mean? By unchecking gmail, what have I disabled the syncing of exactly?
    12-01-2014 02:39 PM
    My battery life is unbelievable with this phone. I average 60+ phone calls and 40+ emails a day. I took my phone off the charger at 6 am and I am at 63% as of 5:30 pm. That's unheard of. This phone is the real deal.

12-01-2014 04:31 PM
    My battery life is unbelievable with this phone. I average 60+ phone calls and 40+ emails a day. I took my phone off the charger at 6 am and I am at 63% as of 5:30 pm. That's unheard of. This phone is the real deal.

What a useless post, can you give some details? The only way I can get good battery is by disabling most of the features that make the phone useful.
    12-01-2014 04:33 PM
    Is there a definition as to what each of these mean? By unchecking gmail, what have I disabled the syncing of exactly?
    You are disabling automatic gmail sync, which is what the OP wanted to do. He wanted to sync his gmail manually. Everything else in the Google account that remains checked will still sync automatically.
    12-01-2014 05:02 PM
    Why dont you try using an app like Tasker to control the background sync. I use it on a Turbo and get 40+ hours out of a battery. I set it up to shut background data down when my screen times out and reconnect when my screen wakes up. I use Gsam battery monitor to see which apps are running in the background. It has a screen in the program called app sucker that tells me which apps have used the battery and the percentage of such. Yes you may have to disable some apps to get stellar battery life.
    12-01-2014 05:23 PM
    I don't disable anything. I found that my battery life has everything to do with my screen brightness.

With my screen at about 30% I can easily get 16 or more hours out of my battery. For me 30% brightness is usually plenty for indoor use.

With my screen at full brightness I'm lucky to get 6 to 8 hours out of my battery. YMMV
    mobrules likes this.
    12-01-2014 05:28 PM
    I don't disable anything. I found that my battery life has everything to do with my screen brightness.

With my screen at about 30% I can easily get 16 or more hours out of my battery. For me 30% brightness is usually plenty for indoor use.

With my screen at full brightness I'm lucky to get 6 to 8 hours out of my battery. YMMV
    I already like 30-35%~. I have used it with/without adaptive just to see, no difference really. Are you saying you are lucky to get 6-8 hours of standby + SOT? Or 6-8 hours of SOT? One of those is REALLY good.

Why dont you try using an app like Tasker to control the background sync. I use it on a Turbo and get 40+ hours out of a battery. I set it up to shut background data down when my screen times out and reconnect when my screen wakes up. I use Gsam battery monitor to see which apps are running in the background. It has a screen in the program called app sucker that tells me which apps have used the battery and the percentage of such. Yes you may have to disable some apps to get stellar battery life.
    Seems a bit extreme to get decent battery life, but I can see the appeal of it. I'll play around with tasker, and gsam battery. As I use some of these battery life savers, I am starting to see no different. Like greenify, I put a bunch of apps in there to hibernate, but I still see them running as a process.

You are disabling automatic gmail sync, which is what the OP wanted to do. He wanted to sync his gmail manually. Everything else in the Google account that remains checked will still sync automatically.
    That's what I wanted, yeah. Is there a breakdown of what each option does exactly?

Is there a way to disable background data and not have it pop up in the navigation pane?

I have yet to find an application that tells me why the phone is staying awake too, why can't any of them tell me exactly which it is?
    12-01-2014 05:51 PM
    Is there a way to disable background data and not have it pop up in the navigation pane?
    Yes Tasker will do that.

I have yet to find an application that tells me why the phone is staying awake too, why can't any of them tell me exactly which it is?
    Gsam Battery monitor will tell you exactly which wakelock is activated.
    12-01-2014 06:26 PM
    Yes Tasker will do that.

Gsam Battery monitor will tell you exactly which wakelock is activated.
    Itried GSAM battery, but it never told me which wakelock was activated, just google service, or android OS.

Seriously, what does android OS do that keeps the phone awake for so dang long? I am 15 horus off charger and it has had the phone awake for 13 of those hours?
    12-01-2014 09:08 PM
    I have no idea. It's certainly an issue. Are you able to swap it out for a different phone?
    12-01-2014 11:44 PM
    I have no idea. It's certainly an issue. Are you able to swap it out for a different phone?
    I don't think it's an issue with the phone, it seems to rock with background data turned off. I got about 48~ hours of standby + 3-4 of SOT and had about 30% left on the battery still.

My issue is determine what software is actually using up the battery, and it seems to be android OS (with background data turned off) and google services.
    12-02-2014 10:10 AM
    I ended up forcing 3g, and turning off Google Now. I have 20% more battery when I plug in at night than I did before. I never use Google Now anyway, it's useless for me.

I still sync accounts as normal, location is on, Wi-Fi on.

12-02-2014 09:17 PM
    I ended up forcing 3g, and turning off Google Now. I have 20% more battery when I plug in at night than I did before. I never use Google Now anyway, it's useless for me.

I still sync accounts as normal, location is on, Wi-Fi on.

I am going to try this again. I too never really used google now, and found it saved a bit of battery. But even with everything set to normal, google services and android OS use the most battery. Even if I throw down 3-4 hours of screen time...bothers me. I would hope it would be more efficient then that.
    12-02-2014 09:40 PM
    Wouldn't this type of thing hurt battery life? Every time you turn your screen on, your device would have to work harder to sync up everything it wasn't syncing while it was off. Or do I have this wrong? Just thought I read it somewhere.
    12-03-2014 11:17 AM
    Wouldn't this type of thing hurt battery life? Every time you turn your screen on, your device would have to work harder to sync up everything it wasn't syncing while it was off. Or do I have this wrong? Just thought I read it somewhere.
    It's possible, but I am not on my phone that often. It just bothers me how much the phone stays awake and how inefficient android os, and google's services eat battery up.

I also noticed greenify isn't doing anything in Android 5 when it comes to auto hibernate.
    12-03-2014 11:22 AM
31 12