It takes ~7 hours to go from zero to full charge with wireless charging.

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I guess I have never really worried that much about how long it takes. I put it on the wireless charger at night when I go to bed. And I always wake up to a fully charged phone regardless of when I put it on the charger. And like others have stated... I don't need to top it off during the day like I did my N5. This one easily lasts the day and beyond for me...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
A ton of potential with Resonance wireless charging.. Needs a lot more backing and adoption... Google back Qi and it's become pretty mainstream with most Android OEM's right now.... According to most calculations the turbo charger takes you from 0 to 100% in 1 hour 58 minutes... I've gone from 5% to 99% in 3 hours 20 minutes with the TYLT Vu wireless charger and a case on the phone.... considering the difference between a "Turbo" charger and a wireless charger an extra 1 hour 20 minutes (Give or take a minute or two) is pretty good... I'd have to guess either Wingnut had a bad wireless charger, it wasn't line up very well (Which can be a problem with Qi) or exaggerated the 7 hour charging time..... Going on two weeks with my Nexus 6 and in an hour I get 28% on average back in the device.... It's never been plugged up once and I only charge via Qi Wireless charging.... It's not super fast but it's not even remotely close to 7 hours slow....
My note 4 can do around 50% in 30 minutes. A wireless charger can probably do 15% in 30 minutes. I usually just charge my phone for half an hour at a time. The Note 4 tapers off starting around 75%. I realize that this is a Nexus 6 forum, but the nexus 6 should be similar.

Now if you charge overnight then it doesn't matter. But I almost never do an overnight charge.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My note 4 can do around 50% in 30 minutes. A wireless charger can probably do 15% in 30 minutes. I usually just charge my phone for half an hour at a time. The Note 4 tapers off starting around 75%. I realize that this is a Nexus 6 forum, but the nexus 6 should be similar.

Now if you charge overnight then it doesn't matter. But I almost never do an overnight charge.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

The Note 4 and Nexus 6 via the turbo charging technology have similar charging times.. The note 4 clocks 95 minutes 0 - 100% and the Nexus 6 clocks 98 minutes 0 - 100%....

Our Google Nexus 6 battery life test is complete, phablet lags behind the Note 4

I charge only via wireless and I try to keep my battery above 40% as best possible... I have 3 wireless chargers and I try to "Top Charge" a couple of times per day to keep my battery up.... The OP just stated 7 hours and in my initial test 1 hour brings roughly 28% battery gain.. and 5% - 99% took a tick over 3:20... or less than half the 7 hours stated... I'd venture to guess with a wireless charging back on the Note 4 you'd see similar charging times...

I do charge overnight but I've noticed with the Nexus 6 (I don't know if it's software or hardware) even via wireless it stops charging once it hits 100%... The VU has a green light that lets you know a connection is made and the device is charging.. With my Nexus 5 that light stayed on as long as the phone was on the charger... My first night with the 6 I woke up and noticed the light was off.. I thought maybe the phone wasn't lined up right and had stopped charging but when I pulled it off it read 99% and no matter what I did it wouldn't start charging again.. The phone wouldn't go into "Charging Mode" and the VU wouldn't light up green to acknowledge a good connection with the phone... So that is nice... with the 5 it stayed green and the phone would always say charging even at 100% until you took it off...

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
So, apparently, my 3 year old Qi Charger isn't as speedy as other/newer models. I didn't consider that when I posted this thread. YMMV seems to apply here.

That being said... Wireless charging isn't about the speed. It's about the convenience. When I get home, and I set my phone on the charging pad on the table, it is charging faster than when my son gets home and sets his phone on the table.

Granted, with the N6, I have yet to top off my phone during the day. But I sure did with my DNA. I do have a LG-700 Qi charger on my night stand, and I use that every day. Since I'm sleeping, the speed is pretty irrelevant.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So, apparently, my 3 year old Qi Charger isn't as speedy as other/newer models. I didn't consider that when I posted this thread. YMMV seems to apply here.

That being said... Wireless charging isn't about the speed. It's about the convenience. When I get home, and I set my phone on the charging pad on the table, it is charging faster than when my son gets home and sets his phone on the table.

Granted, with the N6, I have yet to top off my phone during the day. But I sure did with my DNA. I do have a LG-700 Qi charger on my night stand, and I use that every day. Since I'm sleeping, the speed is pretty irrelevant.

Or you are not lined up perfectly right.... The TYLT has multiple charging cores (or so says their technical specs) which helps in not having to line it up right.... The Nexus 5 Qi charger had magnets in it to match up perfectly with the 5 and 7 so it was held in exactly the right spot for charging...... I primarily charge overnight and use wireless.. but I also have a wireless charger on my desk at work and at 7 hours it would be pointless for top charging.... I'd need to leave it on the charger all day at work to get a decent bump in battery.... :D and as I've stated before at $70 the TYLT Vu isn't a cheap wireless charger either....

and yes YMMV.... I've seen some people posting that they can't get Qi to work with the Spigen cases and I have no problem with the Spigen case and wireless charging so it has to be a combination of the charger and not lining it up right... I know I get a much better connection in portrait mode vs landscape mode on the charger... The sweet spot seems to be slightly off center towards the bottom of the Nexus 6... Dead center in Landscape it won't start charging but if I move it about 1/8th of an inch off center towards the bottom of the device it kicks in but will flicker on and off until you get it just right and then it seems to lock on good.... But from the iFixit breakdown it doesn't look like the coil is off center to the bottom... So I dunno....

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I do charge overnight but I've noticed with the Nexus 6 (I don't know if it's software or hardware) even via wireless it stops charging once it hits 100%... The VU has a green light that lets you know a connection is made and the device is charging.. With my Nexus 5 that light stayed on as long as the phone was on the charger... My first night with the 6 I woke up and noticed the light was off.. I thought maybe the phone wasn't lined up right and had stopped charging but when I pulled it off it read 99% and no matter what I did it wouldn't start charging again.. The phone wouldn't go into "Charging Mode" and the VU wouldn't light up green to acknowledge a good connection with the phone... So that is nice... with the 5 it stayed green and the phone would always say charging even at 100% until you took it off...

I noticed the same when I switched from a Nexus 4 to Nexus 5. The charging LED switched off as the N4 reached full charge and came back on as the battery drifted below 95% (98?), but with the N5 the charging LED never went off.

The N6 works like the N4 did.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the same when I switched from a Nexus 4 to Nexus 5. The charging LED switched off as the N4 reached full charge and came back on as the battery drifted below 95% (98?), but with the N5 the charging LED never went off.

The N6 works like the N4 did.

Gotcha.. I skipped the N4... but with the N5 and 7 it stayed on.... Didn't know if maybe it was something in Android 5.0 and the power management....

Good to know... Thank you....

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Both my TYLT & Nexus 4 QI-chargers charge fast enough for me. I think they are both worth it. The Nexus 4 Qi charger has turned out to be a good charger and I'm glad I didn't sell it.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I let my Nexus 6 go down below 10% yesterday before I put it on my LG-700 Qi Charger... 6.5 hours later it was at 99%.

Just in case anyone was curious how long it takes to charge wirelessly. :cool:
That is something else I didn't consider. Maybe my N6 reached 100% long before the 6.5 hour mark, but it happened to drop to 99% when I awoke.

At this point... Pretty much all there is to take away from this thread is that I did a terrible job with this experiment. :-\

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
but it happened to drop to 99% when I awoke.

I've never seen mine say 100% or "Charged" every time I take it off it says 99%.... Don't know why or if that is a wireless thing or not since I've never actually plugged it up to charge yet (and probably won't any time soon)

The Nexus 4 Qi charger has turned out to be a good charger and I'm glad I didn't sell it.

I originally had the Nexus 4 Qi Orb thing... The only issue I had with it was the angle it was set at... My Nexus 5 and 7 use to slip down out of position often and I eventually had to use some modeling clay to build a base to keep it flat..... but it always charged very well... and it looked good.... I liked how it was at that angle because I could use my tablet or phone as a nightstand clock but every so slowly my devices would slip down and off the sucker and stop charging....

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I originally had the Nexus 4 Qi Orb thing... The only issue I had with it was the angle it was set at... My Nexus 5 and 7 use to slip down out of position often and I eventually had to use some modeling clay to build a base to keep it flat..... but it always charged very well... and it looked good.... I liked how it was at that angle because I could use my tablet or phone as a nightstand clock but every so slowly my devices would slip down and off the sucker and stop charging....

Yeah, that was an issue for some people, even myself. The solution for me that worked is to keep the surface free of dust ( which collects easily on the surface). I take a piece of tape and apply it to the surface, lifting it up and removing the dusk. It may have to be repeated a few times with fresh tape but works. The tacky surface is restored and it works like new.

It worked real well with my Nexus 5 & 7 because of the rubberized back those devices had. It works well with the Nexus 6. the only issue is if you leave it on the charger for a while with no case, it will leave a circular mark on the back of your phone that you have to wipe off.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The solution for me that worked is to keep the surface free of dust

lol... Yup that was exactly the issue... out the box I never had a problem with it.. but over time it started to slip.. More so with the 7 because it was larger and heavier... I constantly found myself having to keep it after a while... It was like after that first cleaning it would pick up dust easier and quicker....

I liked the tilted style and that is what drew me to buy the first TYLT charger and then two more...... I didn't like the Nexus 5 charger because it was flat.....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX