Switched from the Galaxy Note 4, now have Nexus 6, My thoughts

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll try to keep this short, ask any questions if you want.

*The nexus 6 is HANDS down the better device IMO
- smoother and faster, there's no contest. (my galaxy tab is faster then my note 4.. that's pretty sad)
- All of the features of 5.0 are actually amazing, and not gimmicky, i'm already seeing the benefit to all the neat things like the lock screen notifications.

-Negatives
* The camera.. by far.. is just not that good. Google needs to get this right.. maybe they need to buy Nokia? :) would love to see the power of Lumia in the nexus 7.. imagine that?
*Battery seems ok, not as great.. which is VERY VERY odd to me.. because there's zero bloat on the N6... this leads me to believe it's the software.. it has to be lollipop.. which i'm happy with that thought because they are bound to update lollipop with some sort of patch to improve this right? with the size of the battery in the N6 it's hard to believe the battery life is average.

All in all i'm beyond happy with switching, this is definitely the better device.

:cool:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts! So is the battery life actually worse than the Note 4? They both have the same size battery, as well as QHD screens, so I would expect them to be about the same.

Do you have Ambient Display turned on? Maybe that sucks some battery as well.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
supposedly the amoled screen screen Samsung uses is the newest generation and it uses less battery. the nexus 6 screen is last generation. that is one of the better difference.

Posted via the Android Central App

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts! So is the battery life actually worse than the Note 4? They both have the same size battery, as well as QHD screens, so I would expect them to be about the same.

Do you have Ambient Display turned on? Maybe that sucks some battery as well.

Its definitely worse. I'm working with a out of the box nexus 6 as well I've installed NO apps except the Android central app.

Bluetooth is off, WiFi is on when at home. My signal is LTE full bars.

I turned off OK google voice detection

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
supposedly the amoled screen screen Samsung uses is the newest generation and it uses less battery. the nexus 6 screen is last generation. that is one of the better difference.

Source on that ?I'd love to read about that :) would be a good read

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I think this is just pure rumor and speculation....... The Nexus 6 uses a qHD screen... we didn't really see any qHD screens in smartphones in 2013 and they didn't really start hitting devices until what April or May of 2014 (Six months ago) so how "Last Generation" can they be??? LG was the first to "Announce" a qHD screen in August 2013 with shipments to start in 2014.... By this time next year we will probably be looking at 4K screens and qHD is going to be "Last Gen" like 1080p is become "Last Gen"

Samsung does call their panel a "Super" AMOLED vs just AMOLED in the Nexus 6.... but Samsung isn't the only AMOLED MFG... If anything it's just a difference in MFG process and MFG in general vs "Last Gen"

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
-Negatives
*Battery seems ok, not as great.. which is VERY VERY odd to me.
And this is exactly why I'm going to look at a Note 4 today. My battery isn't making it through the day and seems no better than my 2-year old Note 2.

My concern is, what will the N6's battery be like in a year, let alone 2 years? Atleast with the Note series I can rotate batteries, putting less use on an individual battery.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My battery isn't making it through the day

You are using Sprint right AnnDroid? I was on Sprint for ages.. When I switched to T-Mobile I easily saw at 20 - 30 improvement in battery life.. Doesn't mean that will happen for you as it's all dependent on the signal strength.... But I am kind of shocked your battery does not make it all day.... In my first 10 days or so I easily was getting 17 hours off the charger with 3 - 3 1/2 hours screen on time with about 5 - 10% remaining at bedtime....

This week I started a new charging schedule to test some things out.... Since I work in an office at a desk all day and I have my Vu wireless charger at work.... I stopped overnight charging.. I use my phone like I always do and when I first get to work (when I know I am at my busiest) I set it down to charger for about 2 hours (or longer depending on how busy my morning is) while I sift through emails and other things..... Naturally at lunch I take it off the charger and it's at or near 100%..... Somewhat heavy usage while on lunch and then light usage when I get back until I leave for the day... in that time after lunch until I leave for the day it goes on and off the charger several times and I usually leave work again at or near 100% charged... after work I usually go to the gym and stream some Pandora for an hour or so and after I get home I am on the phone a lot while doing things around the house and while watching TV..... Usually by bedtime I am still at or around 50% charged (11 pm) and I leave it alone... by 6 am when I leave for work the next morning it's still usually around 45% and I start it all over again....

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
And this is exactly why I'm going to look at a Note 4 today. My battery isn't making it through the day and seems no better than my 2-year old Note 2.

My concern is, what will the N6's battery be like in a year, let alone 2 years? Atleast with the Note series I can rotate batteries, putting less use on an individual battery.

Here's what you do according to some. Shut off LTE data, GPS, NFC, all sync, while you keep the display at 20%. Enjoy your phone. ;)

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
You are using Sprint right AnnDroid? I was on Sprint for ages.. When I switched to T-Mobile I easily saw at 20 - 30 improvement in battery life.. Doesn't mean that will happen for you as it's all dependent on the signal strength..
Thank you for the suggestion, but T-Mobile doesn't get a signal where I live. I have a choice of Sprint or AT&T. I'm not a fan of AT&T.
I read a post yesterday that suggested turning off Cloud Print, turned off LTE (don't have it anyway), unchecked any unused Google services, and NFC. I did that with no improvements. This morning I turned off Network Notifications and Scanning always available and knocked my Display off from 30 seconds to 15 seconds. I'll give that a day or two.
BTW, where's gps setting?

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Here's what you do according to some. Shut off LTE data, GPS, NFC, all sync, while you keep the display at 20%. Enjoy your phone. ;)
Thank you for the suggestions. I really want to keep my N6. I already tried most of these setting yesterday, but not GPS. I don't want to give up Trusted Places function. The display at 20%...might be hard for my older eyes, but I'll give that a day or two. Again, thank you for suggestions.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions. I really want to keep my N6. I already tried most of these setting yesterday, but not GPS. I don't want to give up Trusted Places function. The display at 20%...might be hard for my older eyes, but I'll give that a day or two. Again, thank you for suggestions.

I was being sarcastic. ;) I think it's ridiculous people suggest shutting everything off and making the phone borderline unusable for most just to make it through a day.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Okay, just noticed a setting I had changed when I first got the phone. I had Data Roaming set to On. Because Sprint doesn't charge for roaming I figured why not have it on. Is this a large battery drain or just minor?

Robbie317, good idea about day charging. My real concern is when I'm out at night. If my battery is low at 5pm, I get concerned. If it's at 100% come late afternoon, I'm golden. I'll try that after my tests.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion, but T-Mobile doesn't get a signal where I live. I have a choice of Sprint or AT&T. I'm not a fan of AT&T.
I read a post yesterday that suggested turning off Cloud Print, turned off LTE (don't have it anyway), unchecked any unused Google services, and NFC. I did that with no improvements. This morning I turned off Network Notifications and Scanning always available and knocked my Display off from 30 seconds to 15 seconds. I'll give that a day or two.
BTW, where's gps setting?

when I did a 6 day flip between having GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth and NFC off one day and on the next my net gain with those all being off unless in use was less than 5%..... When not in use they don't eat up much extra battery at all.... It's not worth the hassle... If you don't have LTE service then that is a good thing to leave turned off... When I was with Sprint I use to turn my phone to 3G only to save battery during the day when I was in an area that was void of LTE....

I have my phone set to 40% brightness with adaptive brightness on..... I've rarely touched it since setting it at 40%.... The screen is the main culprit in eating battery life... when I check my battery stats all the steep drops in battery life is while the screen is on and I am doing something on it.... but I still can manage 17 hours and 3 - 3.5 screen on each day.... on a heavy use Saturday I went a little over 12 hours and had 5 1/2 hours screen on... Now on Saturday every time I come home from being out and about I set it down to top charge for an hour while I am at the house and between racing out to do something and my battery easily goes late into the night without an issue.....

The draw back is you'd think in 2014 almost 2015 we wouldn't have to plan our battery life and usage in advance and our phone could if needed go 2 - 3 days with 10 hours of screen on time..... Smart phones just don't do that.... for me the 12 hours on and 5 hours of screen on time is "Acceptable" and in range of what I need it to do... Not perfect or ideal but is not completely horrible compared to the market.. (and it's light and day compared to the Nexus 5)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My real concern is when I'm out at night. If my battery is low at 5pm, I get concerned. If it's at 100% come late afternoon, I'm golden.

If you have the ability to top charge during the day I'd suggest doing that.... I leave work at 4 pm each day and in my worst day I left with 88% remaining and by 11 pm was still at 25% remaining when I went to bed with pretty heavy usage while not even attempting to top charge... Yesterday I knew I was going out with some people who were in town and even though I left work at 100% when I got home I set it down on the charger to keep it up until I left to meet them at 8 pm.... and by Midnight last night I was still at almost 90% when I got home (Granted very little use while out)

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I was getting poor battery life the first week with my N6. So much so that I went back to the Note 4 for a few days. On the N6 though I turned off Google Now, and switched to 3G only and it's been great. I'm in a fringe area and my phone will switch back and forth from 3G to 4G all day.

Everything else is on: BT, wi-fi, sync everything, GPS, etc. I now have 20% more battery at the end of the day than I did before, and getting better battery life than the Note 4.

previous2pre

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
The main problem I have with Nexus 6 is lack of storage... and also lack of S Pen.

I have the Note 4 also. If you truly believe the Nexus 6 is better, then you weren't a prolific user of the S Pen...that's fine, but there is no way the Nexus 6 is better than the Note 4.

You can also turn off certain Touchwiz features to get rid of lag on Note 4 (see Flossy Carter's Note 4 real world reviews).

But I'm sorry, the Nexus 6 has some serious flaws, that I just can't get past as a user of the Note 4.

Glad you like it better though.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I think this is just pure rumor and speculation....... The Nexus 6 uses a qHD screen... we didn't really see any qHD screens in smartphones in 2013 and they didn't really start hitting devices until what April or May of 2014 (Six months ago) so how "Last Generation" can they be??? LG was the first to "Announce" a qHD screen in August 2013 with shipments to start in 2014.... By this time next year we will probably be looking at 4K screens and qHD is going to be "Last Gen" like 1080p is become "Last Gen"

Samsung does call their panel a "Super" AMOLED vs just AMOLED in the Nexus 6.... but Samsung isn't the only AMOLED MFG... If anything it's just a difference in MFG process and MFG in general vs "Last Gen"

That's a good point. All QHD screens just came out this year. On a side note, I think QHD is actually the equivalent to 4k, but I understand what you're trying to say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD