Unable to Sideload Android 5.0.1 OTA Update

markbyrn

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Not wanting to wait for the OTA update to appear on it's own, I downloaded the 5.0.1 OTA update directly and tried to do a adb sideload from my Mac but sadly I get a "device not found" after doing the adb reboot bootloader command. I do adb devices and indeed no devices are attached. So I entered recovery mode and still no device found and so I just start the Nexus 6 back up as normal. At that point, adb devices shows the Nexus 6 and so rinse and repeat - the device is not found while in bootloader. Must be doing something wrong since I was able to install 5.0 without any issue and it's already unlocked.

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I experienced the same thing on my Mac. I had to download the latest Android SDK, to get the latest tools (adb, fastboot, etc.). Once I got the latest versions, my Nexus 6 was detected in adb.

One note though, the old version of adb was installed in the system path, so if I simply typed adb in terminal, it ran the old version. I had to CD to the path where the new adb was, and run it with ./adb

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Or uninstall the old version if you have no real need for an older version, then install the new version and it'll be in the system path.

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
While hooked up, try unchecking the MTP option under Settings>Storage>USB computer connection (menu option in top right corner).

Sometimes I would have to toggle that to get it to be recognized.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I also had a difficult time getting the proper drivers to load. I installed Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit and followed the directions for full driver install and it worked perfectly.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
While hooked up, try unchecking the MTP option under Settings>Storage>USB computer connection (menu option in top right corner).

Sometimes I would have to toggle that to get it to be recognized.

Yep.. that one always got me. I had forgot about it and fought over my wife's Nexus 5 for a couple of hours. Both boxes in Storage unchecked, USB debug checked.... gotta always remember that. And it is kind of silly that we have to do all that.

markbyrn

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Almost solved it but I must have adb 1.0.32 for mac and installing Android Studio doesn't install it and nor can I find the adb file in any of the associated files. Can somebody post it and give me a link or tell me exactly where it is or exactly how to install it using Android Studio SDK Manager - the default install isn't doing it. I need the adb 1.0.32 to sideload the Android 5.0.1 OTA update as the installation aborts saying I need 1.0.32 to install. Thanks much.

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Almost solved it but I must have adb 1.0.32 for mac and installing Android Studio doesn't install it and nor can I find the adb file in any of the associated files. Can somebody post it and give me a link or tell me exactly where it is or exactly how to install it using Android Studio SDK Manager - the default install isn't doing it. I need the adb 1.0.32 to sideload the Android 5.0.1 OTA update as the installation aborts saying I need 1.0.32 to install. Thanks much.

So wherever you extracted the SDK, look in there, then open the "Tools" folder (I assume you're doing this from Finder). Inside the Tools folder, double-click the "android" executable. It won't look like a typical install icon (because it's a command line tool; the icon will be a black box). However, when you double-click it, it will launch the GUI:

mac_sdk_.png

Check Android SDK Tools and Android SDK Platform-Tools, then click the Install button. It should then load the platform-tools folder, which will have adb and fastboot.

Attachments

• mac_sdk.png
    mac_sdk.png
    132 KB · Views: 45

markbyrn

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
you're a star Fahrenheit - I got the updated ADB per your directions and finally managed to sideload 5.0.1. In addition to needing the updated ADB, I had to find just the right USB port to get the Nexus recognized. I had the updated ADB for Windows but my PC would not detect the Nexus regardless of port but on the Mac, I was able to get a detection on one of the USB ports. Google should allow OTA updates on demand without endlessly waiting (up to 2 weeks according to them) for an update. Thanks again.

B-RAN

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Good Morning Everyone! I am having the same issue. I"ve updated adb and am still having issues. When connected and the phone is on I am recognized as a device but in recovery I am not. Do I need to have the MTP box and the camerea unchecked?

Michael Manning

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem. Once I get into recovery mode, my mac loses the usb connection with my Nexus 6. Is there a solution? Trying to sideload 5.1 right now and getting nowhere. After the connection is lost in recovery mode I can only get it back by fully rebooting the phone. Uggh.
:(

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem. Once I get into recovery mode, my mac loses the usb connection with my Nexus 6. Is there a solution? Trying to sideload 5.1 right now and getting nowhere. After the connection is lost in recovery mode I can only get it back by fully rebooting the phone. Uggh.
:(

I finally got it to work. Updated ADB with help from earlier posts. When I went into recovery, I couldn't get it to recognize by unplugging/plugging USB cable the first time, so I rebooted. Unchecked both boxes for Media/Camera in USB settings. Used adb reboot recovery. Had to unplug/plug the USB cable, then it finally recognized and worked! Good luck!

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I have had the same issue several times, though I should know my solution by now.

On my macbook air, only one USB port allows me to use adb in recovery mode. For whatever reason, the other USB port doesn't work.

Posted via the Android Central App

Michael Manning

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I got it to work in the end by doing something so easy that I kicked myself for not having tried it earlier. I simply unplugged and then replugged in the USB cable on my Nexus 6 while in recovery mode, and ADB was able to make the connection. Drrrrrr!