nexus 6 - upgrade to 5.01 without losing deencrption?

Anthony Srdar

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Is there an easy way to do this on the N6? Or will I have to de-encrypt and wipe every time? I am also on LRX210 still, so will the OTA update from the AOSP site still work for me?

Last edited:

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: nexus 6 - upgrade to 4.01 without losing deencrption?

I assume you meant to type 5.0.1 in your subject line (not 4.01)

You can download the factory images and extract all the images from it, and flash everything except the userdata.img (and replace the boot.img with the appropropriate noforceencrypt image - similar to the one that you flashed to decrypt in the first place).
OTA won't work for you if you have made any changes to the system partition - even a simple change like rooting will cause OTA issues

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I assume you meant to type 5.0.1 in your subject line (not 4.01)

You can download the factory images and extract all the images from it, and flash everything except the userdata.img (and replace the boot.img with the appropropriate noforceencrypt image - similar to the one that you flashed to decrypt in the first place).
OTA won't work for you if you have made any changes to the system partition - even a simple change like rooting will cause OTA issues

Yeah. As long as you have the appropriate boot.img, you'll be fine. I did it when the factory image became available.

Posted via the Android Central App

Anthony Srdar

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

So it's unlocked, rooted, with de-encrypted.

Can I still use the factory image, just swap theboot_ noforceencrypt.img and remove the userdata.img and boot.img from the factory image?

Anthony Srdar

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

Can I still use the factory image, just swap theboot_ noforceencrypt.img and remove the userdata.img and boot.img from the factory image?

before I go do this, is this accurate? I don't want to lose my data or the de-encryption! Is this also the image to sideload?

https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/shamu-lrx22c-factory-ff173fc6.tgz

Looks like I figured it out:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nex...e-forced-encryption-gain-root-t2946715/page40

Last edited:

americasteam

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Just flash the radio and system img. No need to flash anything else. Its not necessary to flash the radio either. That's entirely up to you.

Erick Newman

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

What is the bonus of decrypting your device does the sudden lag or application loading time go away.

Anthony Srdar

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

What is the bonus of decrypting your device does the sudden lag or application loading time go away.

I noticed a huge speed improvement when opening applications. I can't speak to battery life, but I had to imagine it helped, I was not encrypted very long.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Encryption does cause overhead. Personally, I haven't noticed a lag on my encrypted Nexus 6, so I didn't bother with decryption. But benchmarks show a significant reduction in read/write performance with encryption enabled.

Anthony Srdar

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

Encryption does cause overhead. Personally, I haven't noticed a lag on my encrypted Nexus 6, so I didn't bother with decryption. But benchmarks show a significant reduction in read/write performance with encryption enabled.

I didn't think I noticed any lag with encryption either, then I de-encrypted it and it was pretty obvious to me. Doing anything was substantially faster, the animations were snappier, no lag, switching/openings apps is noticible faster. But it's one of those you won't know you don't have it til you try it.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

To each their own :)
I am rooted, and did try decryption for about a couple of days. I didn't notice enough (any) performance gain to justify decryption, so when I loaded 5.0.1, I left it encrypted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital