Can't turn off vibrate notification in updated Hangouts

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
There is a separate setting for sounds and vibration under SMS. They are greyed out if Hangouts isn't default SMS.

I have turned off vibrate everywhere on this phone and it still vibrates when I get a SMS! I might just have to use messenger for now.

Posted via THE Nexus 6!

Nicholas Crank

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Extremely annoying problem with hangouts. I have a few group messages going on at the same time and at times they reply so quickly I think someone is calling my phone. Even with vibrate unchecked, it still vibrates.

Posted via the Android Central App

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Even if you unchecked vibrate in all the settings in hangouts it always resets itself after a day or so. I do it constantly and when I go to check all the vibrate boxes are checked again.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Has everyone tried going into Settings, and under your email account > Hangouts Notifications > Hangouts Messages & Invites > uncheck vibrate? It seems to work for me, unless the version that's on Lollipop behaves differently than the one on my S3, which is updated. If that still doesn't work, apologies.

Last edited:

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Has everyone tried going into Settings, and under your email account > Hangouts Notifications > Hangouts Messages & Invites > uncheck vibrate? It seems to work for me, unless the version that's on Lollipop behaves differently than the one on my S3, which has been updated.

Yea that does not work. It does not matter where you check off vibrate it still vibrates.

Posted via THE Nexus 6!

Arcendus

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not only that, but I've found that it randomly re-enables vibration. I don't know when, I don't know why, I just know it'll be working fine, no vibration (only in Hangouts - SMS is constant vibrate so I've disabled it), then all of a sudden vibrate is enabled and I'm startled by a vibrating desk. This bug is beyond obnoxious.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Just to let everybody know this finally appears to be fixed fix the latest update to hangouts that was released today. I tried several messages and no vibrate when box is left unchecked! ):

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Just to let everybody know this finally appears to be fixed fix the latest update to hangouts that was released today. I tried several messages and no vibrate when box is left unchecked! ):

What's not fixed is the absurd delay when typing in someone's name to start a new text/hangout. This is because it searches the universe of Google+ too. Why won't Google just stop trying to integrate Google+ garbage into their apps. I don't want to search the names of every Google+ user when I got to text a friend!

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
What's not fixed is the absurd delay when typing in someone's name to start a new text/hangout. This is because it searches the universe of Google+ too. Why won't Google just stop trying to integrate Google+ garbage into their apps. I don't want to search the names of every Google+ user when I got to text a friend!

I agree with you 100%! I'm not a big fan of google +

HEAHA

Banned
Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Not fixed here.
I can set all the settings how I want them = No Vibration, My tone of choice etc. and in anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours, they all change back to the defaults.
What makes this really annoying, is when they change, they also deselect GV incoming phone calls and sometimes the Google Voice text messages themselves! The phone call part I can live with as they wont let you change the inaudible ring tone but when it changes the calls don't go back to GV. Unless, On a PC you have gone into GV settings and checked to have calls sent to the phone as well as chat. keep it like this you get dual notifications and ring tones on calls. I wanted to use Hangouts for GV phones so I could distinguish ( with a Ringtone) who they are coming from - AKA Business line or Personal
I have tried every possible combo of settings with GV installed and on / Off, Uninstalled etc.
Nothing works.
I only want to use Hangouts so i can have MMS with my free GV texting, other than that, You can have the whole app.
Trying to get everybody I text to switch to hangouts is an effort in futility. As they are each trying to get everyone to switch to ichat, whatsapp, skype etc... And i refuse to pay Verizon for texting. I pay them for Data - Which is Enough. If I change my plan to free texting Unlimited mins. I lose Unlimited Data and my bill almost doubles!

All we need is MMS on GV and it;s perfect

Scott Gross1

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Has everyone tried going into Settings, and under your email account > Hangouts Notifications > Hangouts Messages & Invites > uncheck vibrate? It seems to work for me, unless the version that's on Lollipop behaves differently than the one on my S3, which is updated. If that still doesn't work, apologies.

hey girl.... any further issues? I need to make this damn Moto G to keep ringing.... can you help a guy out?

Igetin

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm STILL experiencing this issue. The app still vibrates on every single message even though I have disabled vibration in the app. Extremely annoying.

Mohammed Patherya

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I have an issue with my HTC ONE M8 which came about after the update to Android 5.0. The issue is that my phone vibrates when notification come. Sounds normal isnt it. Well the real issue is that it keeps on vibrating ever 15-20 sec till the time I see the notification. It is really irritating. I have deleted all the third party apps which might be creating any issue, switched off the vibration mode as well as when I run my phone on the silent mode still it vibrates. Please help me with this issue

LolliDal

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I have an issue with my HTC ONE M8 which came about after the update to Android 5.0. The issue is that my phone vibrates when notification come. Sounds normal isnt it. Well the real issue is that it keeps on vibrating ever 15-20 sec till the time I see the notification. It is really irritating. I have deleted all the third party apps which might be creating any issue, switched off the vibration mode as well as when I run my phone on the silent mode still it vibrates. Please help me with this issue

I am also having this issue where notifications vibrate every 15 seconds until cleared, regartless of vibration setting. Anyone else know anything about this? It woke me up last night while I was sleeping so many times. I upgraded to Lollipop yesterday and that's when it started happening.