My phone is about 10 days old. Ambient display has become non-functional.

My replacement is on its way. I was assured by 2 separate Moto reps that the "like new" designation currently refers to phones that have not been activated ie not refurb'd, but were returned by carriers for having reached them with their boxes damaged.

Given the newness of the phone and the likelihood that they have not had the time to do many refurbs, I kinda believe them. What do you guys think?

If you are interested, here's the story:

Have tried numerous resets/individual app installs etc. The problem is weird in that on several of the resets, it doesn't work on initial boot. Other times it will work for a while after the reset, and for a while after all the apps are installed, but then it will quit within a half hour or so.
    12-16-2014 09:13 PM
    My phone is about 10 days old. Ambient display has become non-functional.

My replacement is on its way. I was assured by 2 separate Moto reps that the "like new" designation currently refers to phones that have not been activated ie not refurb'd, but were returned by carriers for having reached them with their boxes damaged.

Given the newness of the phone and the likelihood that they have not had the time to do many refurbs, I kinda believe them. What do you guys think?

If you are interested, here's the story:

Have tried numerous resets/individual app installs etc. The problem is weird in that on several of the resets, it doesn't work on initial boot. Other times it will work for a while after the reset, and for a while after all the apps are installed, but then it will quit within a half hour or so.
    Me personally, I wouldn't accept anything other than a brand new replacement if your current one is only 10 days old. You're still within your return policy so what would be stopping you from doing a standard return due to defect and then buying a brand new one?
    12-16-2014 10:26 PM
    I don't have a phone to use if I sent mine back. With the limited supply of the Nexus. I would be weeks or longer without a device.

I'm at their mercy, and have to hope the reps are being honest. As I said, circumstances as they are, it is entirely possible it will be a new unit.
    12-16-2014 11:14 PM
    Unacceptable.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-17-2014 06:56 AM
    Hey, maybe one of you guys have a phone sitting around I could borrow. Then I could return mine, and get on the list for a new one
    12-17-2014 08:43 AM
    Personally, I'd pick up a cheap prepaid phone from Walmart or somewhere else to hold me over so I could do the return. Just a stop gap measure until you can get the new one. It would suck, no doubt, but it's better than accepting a less than new phone when yours is only 10 days old.

Just a thought.

Sent from my Nexus 6
    12-17-2014 09:04 AM
    Personally, I'd pick up a cheap prepaid phone from Walmart or somewhere else to hold me over so I could do the return. Just a stop gap measure until you can get the new one. It would suck, no doubt, but it's better than accepting a less than new phone when yours is only 10 days old.

Just a thought.

Sent from my Nexus 6
    Especially right now. A lot of already cheap prepaid phones are even cheaper. I used a lumia 520 for a couple weeks while I waited on a phone. Not perfect situation but a nice little 40 buck phone.
    KentuckyHouse likes this.
    12-17-2014 09:43 AM
    \Just a stop gap measure until you can get the new one.

Sent from my Nexus 6
    Worth considering.

I guess you guys are more cynical than me. I'm concerned it'll be a refurb, you guys seem pretty sure.
    12-17-2014 09:47 AM
    Worth considering.

I guess you guys are more cynical than me. I'm concerned it'll be a refurb, you guys seem pretty sure.
    I can tell you that I personally know one person that has done a Nexus 6 return and received a phone that had previously had the bootloader unlocked (so it was previously owned). I've seen other stories of people receiving phones that had some minor dings that could or could not have come from the factory that way.

If you want to guarantee that you get a new phone, a return and repurchase would be the best way to go.

Sent from my Nexus 6
    12-17-2014 09:52 AM
    I can tell you that I personally know one person that has done a Nexus 6 return and received a phone that had previously had the bootloader unlocked (so it was previously owned).
    Sent from my Nexus 6
    Really? You'd think in the process of reconditioning they'd have re-locked the bootloader.

When I first got the phone, the screen that appears when booting in recovery showed "unlocked". It then changed to "locked" after connecting to Verizon. I presumed that unlocked referred to carrier status, and that upon installing its bloatware, VZW locked it to their network.

I'm hoping that he misconstrued the state of the phone, and that the bootloader menu was, in fact, unavailable.
    12-17-2014 10:19 AM