Nexus 6 or Snapdragon 810?

JairoAnarchy

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I am at a critical crossroads in choice of phones. I have been using a Droid RAZR M as my daily driver for the last 2+ years as it was my upgrade on Verizon back when I was a very uneducated consumer. I can't wait to be rid of this thing and its 8gb of storage space.

For months I have been waiting for news of the Nexus and when it came at last I was thrilled. Since funds are very tight I was planning on purchasing it with my income tax return in February.

However, of late, more news has come about regarding the Snapdragon 810 and its many benefits. I also would expect the 64 bit chip to be better future-proofed than the 805. I feel like this year's flagships were far more incremental updates than leaps and bounds. From what it sounds these new processors will make flagships in 2015 a bigger step up especially with rumors of this chips availability by mid-2015.

Which leads me back to the title. I would prefer not to waste an upgrade on Verizon only to want to change phones in less than a year and pay for 2. I won't touch Verizon Edge until its restructured but I am hesitant to invest in a Nexus 6 only to see a new Moto phablet or what Nexus brings next year.

Is it worth the wait for the 810? I'm just so tired of this RAZR M!

Posted via the Android Central App

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
If your going to stick with Verizon you might want to look at the Droid Turbo, it has a bigger battery than the Nexus 6, a higher resolution camera and a more manageable 5.2" QHD screen vs the 5.9" screen on the N6. Aside for that the guts are the same as the N6.

As for the 810 vs the 805, I don't think you'd notice much difference. Processors have been fast enough for a while. I'm still on the Nexus 5 which has the 800 instead of the 805. The N5 is extremely snappy with Lollipop, it simply doesn't need a faster processor. The big deficiency is the battery life which is awful. I'm beginning to suspect that the problem isn't Lollipop, it's the battery itself. Batterys have a limited life and mine is a year old. I've been contemplating upgrading to the N6 but like the N5 it lacks a replacable battery. The one manufacturer that has the sense to use replaceable batterys is Samsung, unfortunately they screw up their phones with Touchwiz. The Samsung S6 is rumored to have an 810 in it, you might want to wait until spring for it and hope that there is a Google Play Edition. A Google Play S6 would be an ideal phone, not for the 810 which is just a bonus, but because it will combine a QHD screen with a replaceable battery.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
If your going to stick with Verizon you might want to look at the Droid Turbo, it has a bigger battery than the Nexus 6, a higher resolution camera and a more manageable 5.2" QHD screen vs the 5.9" screen on the N6. Aside for that the guts are the same as the N6.

As for the 810 vs the 805, I don't think you'd notice much difference. Processors have been fast enough for a while. I'm still on the Nexus 5 which has the 800 instead of the 805. The N5 is extremely snappy with Lollipop, it simply doesn't need a faster processor. The big deficiency is the battery life which is awful. I'm beginning to suspect that the problem isn't Lollipop, it's the battery itself. Batterys have a limited life and mine is a year old. I've been contemplating upgrading to the N6 but like the N5 it lacks a replacable battery. The one manufacturer that has the sense to use replaceable batterys is Samsung, unfortunately they screw up their phones with Touchwiz. The Samsung S6 is rumored to have an 810 in it, you might want to wait until spring for it and hope that there is a Google Play Edition. A Google Play S6 would be an ideal phone, not for the 810 which is just a bonus, but because it will combine a QHD screen with a replaceable battery.

I did see yesterday in a Qualcomm video snippet that Snapdragon 810 will supposedly offer improved battery life to go with faster processing. Because of that I paused for a minute and was wondering if I should wait for a GPE device with it or get the Nexus 6 in May, which was the plan. Coming from an S3, the swappable battery is a bonus (I have a 4,200 mAh extended battery installed), but the standby time is horrendous. I lose about 10% overnight. Whether it's the Nexus 6 or an upcoming GPE, either wat, stock Android is the plan. Syonara, TouchWiz!

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
If you are waiting until may to get the nexus 6 u might as well get whatever is the latest and greatest at the time unless there is a budget restriction.

Posted via Android Central App

JairoAnarchy

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I did see yesterday in a Qualcomm video snippet that Snapdragon 810 will supposedly offer improved battery life to go with faster processing. Because of that I paused for a minute and was wondering if I should wait for a GPE device with it or get the Nexus 6 in May, which was the plan. Coming from an S3, the swappable battery is a bonus (I have a 4,200 mAh extended battery installed), but the standby time is horrendous. I lose about 10% overnight. Whether it's the Nexus 6 or an upcoming GPE, either wat, stock Android is the plan. Syonara, TouchWiz!

Is their news of a Nexus refresh with the 810 around May?

There has been rumor floating around about a Moto 6" with the 810 and 4000 mAh battery, which sounds like my perfect phone, for release sometime this summer.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Is their news of a Nexus refresh with the 810 around May?

There has been rumor floating around about a Moto 6" with the 810 and 4000 mAh battery, which sounds like my perfect phone, for release sometime this summer.

I've read about that rumor too. It does sound good, and I thought about it, but it would have to get it unlocked, since it would be Verizon exclusive. Then there's dealing with APN settings and such. Too much work, IMHO.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
If you are waiting until may to get the nexus 6 u might as well get whatever is the latest and greatest at the time unless there is a budget restriction.

Posted via Android Central App

I try not to be lured by the latest and greatest, if I can help it. It does sound great if it holds up, but I really just want a stock experience at this point. I doubt there would be too much a discernable difference between 805 and 810 speed-wise.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
The nexus 6 is guaranteed to run the latest version of Android for at least 2 more years. Additionally, it will get updates almost immediately. There is no other phone that you can say this about and this is far more important than a 64 bit processor in my opinion.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Well, considering someone mentioned it, has there been any word as to which brands will have GPE variants of their flagship phones with these supposed updated specs in 2015?

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
If my mobile service is Verizon I go with the new Droid Turbo, sadly my mobile service is AT&T so no Droid Turbo for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site
There will always be rumors of the latest and greatest technology "coming soon" and no matter when you bite the bullet and choose a phone there will always be something else coming along that will out do it. As far the 810 and 64 bit support goes, keep in mind that it will take quite a while before apps are updated to support it. Even Apple with their year head start has a ways to go before 64 bit apps become the majority. I think the days of phones running optimally for more than 2-3 years is becoming a thing of the past but the Nexus 6 should have some great longevity due to support from Google.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There isn't much need for 64... on the OS level, mobile doesn't really push the kind of data that would really gain anything. It's not like anyone is about to run a database or something that needs 4+ gig of ram.

I mean, desktops have been 64 for years and a ton of stuff is still 32bit. You are not going to see many 64bit apps for the sole reason that only a small percentage will be able to run it.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I am at a critical crossroads in choice of phones. I have been using a Droid RAZR M as my daily driver for the last 2+ years as it was my upgrade on Verizon back when I was a very uneducated consumer. I can't wait to be rid of this thing and its 8gb of storage space.

For months I have been waiting for news of the Nexus and when it came at last I was thrilled. Since funds are very tight I was planning on purchasing it with my income tax return in February.

However, of late, more news has come about regarding the Snapdragon 810 and its many benefits. I also would expect the 64 bit chip to be better future-proofed than the 805. I feel like this year's flagships were far more incremental updates than leaps and bounds. From what it sounds these new processors will make flagships in 2015 a bigger step up especially with rumors of this chips availability by mid-2015.

Which leads me back to the title. I would prefer not to waste an upgrade on Verizon only to want to change phones in less than a year and pay for 2. I won't touch Verizon Edge until its restructured but I am hesitant to invest in a Nexus 6 only to see a new Moto phablet or what Nexus brings next year.

Is it worth the wait for the 810? I'm just so tired of this RAZR M!

The benefits of the 810 will lie mostly with projected efficiency and subsequently longer battery life. It will be a long, long time before apps are written for a 64 bit chipset exclusively, or otherwise that won't run so well on the 805 that you would notice the difference in real life performance. The Nexus 6 is an exceptional device, and continuing OS upgrades will lend longevity to the increased quality of life it will provide beyond that of a phone released in 6 months with an 810 processor - something you'll appreciate in about 2 years when your'e running 7.0 and that other device might have managed 6.0.

If you're absolutely set on a 64 bit processor, note that in addition to flagships from manufacturers that are likely to be introduced over the next 6 months, including the possibility of GPE's, it's not at all out of the realm of possibility that Google will introduce an updated Nexus 5 to appease the yearning by many for a not-quite-so-large Nexus and to introduce a 64 bit Nexus phone without prematurely terminating the lifespan of the current Nexus 6.

JairoAnarchy

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! You all make very valid points which is what I needed to hear. I almost broke down and bought the turbo because I could have gotten the 64gb for $30. The extra Google support and lack of Verizon control kept me from going that route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol