Is Google Messenger compatible with google voice? Can my text messages from my voice number come through there or does that only work for hangouts?
    12-19-2014 07:50 PM
    When you have both installed, only one can be the default SMS app. That choice is made in the settings of the app you want to use.
    12-19-2014 08:27 PM
    When you have both installed, only one can be the default SMS app. That choice is made in the settings of the app you want to use.
    That's great information. Completely irrelevant to the question, but great nonetheless.

To answer the question, I think only Hangouts can do GV texts.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Erick Newman likes this.
    12-20-2014 03:20 PM
    Is Google Messenger compatible with google voice? Can my text messages from my voice number come through there or does that only work for hangouts?
    Yes, text messages from your voice number can come through Google Messenger as well as through Hangouts. You determine which one displays your text messages by setting one as the default. I'm using Google Messenger and like how it works with texting. When I was using Google Voice and set Google Messenger as default for texting, it worked just fine. (I recently canceled GV.)
    12-20-2014 04:25 PM
    Yes, text messages from your voice number can come through Google Messenger as well as through Hangouts. You determine which one displays your text messages by setting one as the default. I'm using Google Messenger and like how it works with texting. When I was using Google Voice and set Google Messenger as default for texting, it worked just fine. (I recently canceled GV.)
    Interesting. That's cool. So when you're using Messenger, do you get both sets of SMS's together or in separate in boxes? I mean those to your carrier number and those to your GV number.

12-20-2014 05:01 PM
    Interesting. That's cool. So when you're using Messenger, do you get both sets of SMS's together or in separate in boxes? I mean those to your carrier number and those to your GV number.
    I would get a text message to both my Google Voice account and to my Google Messenger. I found this to be annoying so I cancelled GV. (I also didn't like getting voice mail from two sources.)
    12-20-2014 05:11 PM
    I would get a text message to both my Google Voice account and to my Google Messenger. I found this to be annoying so I cancelled GV. (I also didn't like getting voice mail from two sources.)
    I mean texts. If people texted your GV number, it would come into Messenger like a regular text? How would Messenger then handle your carrier number texts?

12-20-2014 05:40 PM
    I mean texts. If people texted your GV number, it would come into Messenger like a regular text? How would Messenger then handle your carrier number texts?
    My GV and carrier numbers were the same. Messenger handles texts as the default SMS app.
    12-20-2014 06:02 PM
    My GV and carrier numbers were the same. Messenger handles texts as the default SMS app.
    Oh I was wondering if Messenger would handle them if you had separate GV and carrier numbers, like Hangouts does.

12-20-2014 06:34 PM
    Oh I was wondering if Messenger would handle them if you had separate GV and carrier numbers, like Hangouts does.

I don't believe messenger will handle. I think only hangouts does that.
    Erick Newman likes this.
    12-20-2014 10:14 PM