N6 Multitasking

vaughaag

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
With the screen being nice and big, is there any way to enable multiple windows / multitasking on the Nexus 6?

Posted via the Android Central App on Nexus 6

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Multitasking, of course. Run an app, press Home, run another app. They're both running. That's multitasking.

Multiple windows on an N6, I don't know.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Multi window is overrated. Turns a nice, big screen into two tiny
screens. If I wanted to use a bunch of windows at once, I'll do it on the dual 22" monitors in my office.

I bought the Nexus 6 because I wanted a HUGE screen. My previous phone was a G3... it had mw stuff, never used it.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Multi window is overrated. Turns a nice, big screen into two tiny
screens. If I wanted to use a bunch of windows at once, I'll do it on the dual 22" monitors in my office.

I bought the Nexus 6 because I wanted a HUGE screen. My previous phone was a G3... it had mw stuff, never used it.

After watching Erica Griffin's full review of the Note 4, and seeing how cluttered the screen was when she showed its multitasking ability, it just proved to me that it is indeed overrated. Sure, you have the ability to resize and minimize windows into orbs, but to me, it's implemented in a cartoonish, childish way.

I have an initial version of multiwindow on my S3, and needless to say, I don't use it. That's not to say I wouldn't like to have the ability to text someone while simultaneously watching a YouTube video, for example, but there are work arounds for that in the Play Store.

I actually prefer the stacked cards implementation on the Nexus 6. To me, it's more efficient, and definitely more organized, with the ability to swipe away.

Posted via the Android Central App

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
So basically, the OP asked of there is a way the Nexus 6 could achieve multi-window because it is a feature he desires and the responses are that he shouldn't want it because multi-window functionality is overrated?

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
So basically, the OP asked of there is a way the Nexus 6 could achieve multi-window because it is a feature he desires and the responses are that he shouldn't want it because multi-window functionality is overrated?

It stands to reason that there's currently no way to do multiwindow on the Nexus 6, if you have people saying it's overrated and they can live without it. Just saying.

Manoj Bhaskaran

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
If you are so particular in need of multi window use, use apps like hoverchat and v media player.. Multitasking is another app which you may try.

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
After watching Erica Griffin's full review of the Note 4, and seeing how cluttered the screen was when she showed its multitasking ability, it just proved to me that it is indeed overrated. Sure, you have the ability to resize and minimize windows into orbs, but to me, it's implemented in a cartoonish, childish way.

I have an initial version of multiwindow on my S3, and needless to say, I don't use it. That's not to say I wouldn't like to have the ability to text someone while simultaneously watching a YouTube video, for example, but there are work arounds for that in the Play Store.

I actually prefer the stacked cards implementation on the Nexus 6. To me, it's more efficient, and definitely more organized, with the ability to swipe away.

I like Erica Griffin's reviews (to a point), but I have to disagree with her on her assessment. I had the Note 2, 3 and 4, and the multi-window function is awesome. It's not cluttered, unless you are using more than 2 apps at a time.

The stacked cards view does look cluttered. I personally like the way iOS displays different windows. It makes it easier to see and interact (side-to-side swipe).

vaughaag

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, I simply wondered as certain work tasks would be easier on a split screen / using two windows.

Dave

Posted via the Android Central App on Nexus 6

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
For my purposes, I can't see the pro of having two or more apps together onscreen outweighing the con of splitting the screen's real estate in half (or smaller). What would be nice, though, would be an instant toggle between the current app and most recently used other app (kind of like alt-tab in windows). Not a big thing, as the current two clicks isn't really an ordeal.

Maybe if they were to make it where tapping the button toggled back and forth between current and last apps, and long-pressing it brought up the full list of open apps as a single-press does now.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
For my purposes, I can't see the pro of having two or more apps together onscreen outweighing the con of splitting the screen's real estate in half (or smaller). What would be nice, though, would be an instant toggle between the current app and most recently used other app (kind of like alt-tab in windows). Not a big thing, as the current two clicks isn't really an ordeal.

Maybe if they were to make it where tapping the button toggled back and forth between current and last apps, and long-pressing it brought up the full list of open apps as a single-press does now.
I use split screens all the time. I often text and browse the web. Or text and look at videos. When at work, I leave the calculator open and use other apps like email and or notes. For me, it's a very useful feature. You can also use the split screen to drag and drop items such as pictures in messages, emails, and /or documents.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, I simply wondered as certain work tasks would be easier on a split screen / using two windows

To answer your question... Yes, they can. I've played around with multi-window stuff and it does offer a little bit of utility, but I never found it to be intuitive. Granted, I have to say that the Note 4 does this better than any other device, especially with the integration of the S-Pen. But otherwise... meh.... Some people swear by it. I am not one of those people. If I ever run into a task that requires that kind of thing, it's going to go down on my laptop/workstation.

Now, that isn't to say that there aren't ways to improve things on the Nexus 6... Link Bubble, for instance, is a great browser. Normally, if you click on a link, it will pop a new window and bring you into your browser (Chrome for example)... Link Bubble loads a 'Halo'-style bubble on the edge of the screen... this will load the URL in the background while you continue on the original page.. .when its loaded, you can click on the bubble and it brings up the page in a windowed browser... clicking on back closes the browser window and your are exactly where you left off.

josh741098

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Older post, but disheartening nonetheless. The Android community is known for coming up with solutions, creativity, not ridiculing the request. The more close minded you become about options, the less we will have. Might as well switch to iOS then. Multi window is handy, I have the g3 and the n6, would like to have the option myself. May not for everyone in every situation, but doesn't make it any less important. Don't stop coming up with ideas to make your user experience better, and hopefully devs won't stop trying to make them a reality. My two cents.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49