01-10-2015 11:53 AM
26 12
tools
    I seem to have gotten an anomaly. So far arrived before Thanksgiving. No issues. Battery good as note 3 it replaced. No restarts. Screen has no shading. Back is firmly attached. After pulling AT&T sim got 5.0.1.still good. Wanted to root but just can't see why. With my Mac it's a little different and since phone 32gb version btw is running great just using it for what it is. Very pleased.

Posted via the Android Central App
    V6Hawk, coachdvc, rich250 and 1 others like this.
    01-04-2015 12:35 PM
    I seem to have gotten an anomaly. So far arrived before Thanksgiving. No issues. Battery good as note 3 it replaced. No restarts. Screen has no shading. Back is firmly attached. After pulling AT&T sim got 5.0.1.still good. Wanted to root but just can't see why. With my Mac it's a little different and since phone 32gb version btw is running great just using it for what it is. Very pleased.

We all should be so lucky. Don't jinx yourself! Lol.

dancing-bass likes this.
    01-04-2015 12:47 PM

I also am experiencing this anomaly. I am pretty darn pleased with this phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    01-04-2015 01:03 PM
    It is nice to see a post like this, bc i am sure that 90% of the people that already have there phone are not having any issues. The only good news is bad news.
    01-04-2015 01:23 PM
    I too am experiencing the same anomaly.
    01-04-2015 01:36 PM
    Something is happening here because I too, am experiencing this.

01-04-2015 04:47 PM
    Same here, no issues with mine bought from Motorola using it on Verizon.
    01-04-2015 04:58 PM
    Same here no issues, even got 5.0.1 release day without pulling the Sim
    01-04-2015 05:18 PM
    Online forums are a poor place to gauge whether a phone has a high rate of problems or not... any product for that matter. The people who do have issues often seek out answers, and end up gathering with others who have the same problem. You end up with a huge selection bias.
    01-04-2015 09:51 PM
    Online forums are a poor place to gauge whether a phone has a high rate of problems or not... any product for that matter. The people who do have issues often seek out answers, and end up gathering with others who have the same problem. You end up with a huge selection bias.
    Yes but when you have forums like these with a bunch of different devices of all types and from many manufacturers you can gauge which devices seem to be more problematic than others.
    01-05-2015 07:39 PM
    Same here no issues, even got 5.0.1 release day without pulling the Sim
    I'm curious about what you said here: if the Sim is pulled, how does that affect you getting the update? Because in order to get 5.0.1, I did have the Sim pulled at the time....someone suggested it but they never explained how or why this makes a difference. Does it?

01-05-2015 07:43 PM
    On my AT&T phone the update seemed to download than disappeared with no actual update. Further tries said no updates available. Tried other methods but removing sim restoring phone without sim and re-downloading update on wifi allowed it to complete.

01-05-2015 08:27 PM
    If online forums are a bad place to gauge whether a phone has problems, then where is a good place to gauge?
    There are many people that are just dealing with the issues the phone has because they feel like thats what they need to do with a nexus device.
    The horrible battery life was more than enough for me to return mine.
    I browsed through forums for tips on how to deal with it and all I found was "turn this off" "reduce this" "train your battery".

BTW I'm glad your phone is working perfectly.
    01-05-2015 11:37 PM
    I've almost bought this phone several times but didn't due to bad reviews and issues on forums. This thread makes me want to take another look at getting one.

01-05-2015 11:41 PM
    I'm curious about what you said here: if the Sim is pulled, how does that affect you getting the update? Because in order to get 5.0.1, I did have the Sim pulled at the time....someone suggested it but they never explained how or why this makes a difference. Does it?

some folks on AT&T had problems with getting the 5.0.1 update but by pulling the sim it allowed some of them folks to get the update. I recieved the update right after the word that it released and installed the update no problem with the sim in the phone,same thing with my coworkers N6 on at&t.Some people had been saying at&t was holding up the update but in my case and my coworkers case that was not true.
    01-06-2015 06:25 AM
    I've almost bought this phone several times but didn't due to bad reviews and issues on forums. This thread makes me want to take another look at getting one.

go get one you can always return it, but there are many happy N6 owners out there
    01-06-2015 06:33 AM
    If online forums are a bad place to gauge whether a phone has problems, then where is a good place to gauge?
    There really isn't one place that's all that reliable. Getting reliable, unbiased and comprehensive information on mobile devices is like finding King Solomon's mines... There's no J.D. Power type survey of mobile phone owners asking about things like initial quality, common issues, etc. I mean, I've seen instances where someone posts an issue on a site and gets a couple of people to respond, that post gets picked up and reshared, and it shows up all over the place on blogs/tech sites as "Several users are reporting that the X phone is having problems".

drives me nuts... There is a lot of FUD getting propagated for a bunch of the phones out there now... And the only evidence most of the time amounts to "Well, so and so said on whineaboutmyphone.com that the phone sucks, so it must be true"

Forums are a good place to find a solution to a problem or issue you are having. But as far as them being a reliable resource as to how common a problem is, unless you step back and take in everything, you're going to be mislead. Chances are if you have an issue, you will quickly find a forum with others who've had the same issue. But if you are checking out a bunch of devices, you have to take posted problems with a grain of salt. Not everyone who has a Nexus 6 is posting here, nor is everyone here with a Nexus 6 chiming in when someone asks "Are you having X problems?"

I see a lot of posts with "I was thinking about getting this phone, but after reading this thread, I am not sure anymore".... not just on this device, but a bunch. And when I see that, I shake my head. If you do spot searches, you'd assume that the Nexus 6's screen burns in horribly, has crap battery life and a junk camera... when in reality, it doesn't. I mean, my screen isn't burnt in, I'm actually quite pleased with the battery performance and the camera is actually extremely good... not best in class but it isn't all that far off. Its not like I have some magical unit that somehow got sprinkled with some magic phone pixie dust. I'd wager that a large majority of owners are in the same boat. But you wouldn't know that going off posted issues.
    Jeremy8000 and TraderGary like this.
    01-06-2015 11:17 AM
    There are many people that are just dealing with the issues the phone has because they feel like thats what they need to do with a nexus device.
    The horrible battery life was more than enough for me to return mine.
    I browsed through forums for tips on how to deal with it and all I found was "turn this off" "reduce this" "train your battery".

BTW I'm glad your phone is working perfectly.
    Forums and reviews are a great place to find information so long as you remember three things:

First, people tend to rant more about the negatives that fail their expectations (whether those expectations were based on performance on actual specs or simply on features they'd have like to have seen) than to praise a phone for what it does well.

Second, remember to take with a grain of salt any praise or condemnation that gives no context. A forum poster could say "I hate the screen" and mean: (a) it's too big / it's too small; (b) resolution is too low, lacking detail / too high, using too much of the battery; (c) it's AMOLED / IPS, and I prefer the other; or any number of other things. If they are more specific and say "I hate the screen because it's ______," you have something to measure in your own personal evaluation, or those of others.

Third, filter opinions based on bias. Some people will bash any device that isn't made by the brand/type to which they have a cult-like allegiance. Mostly seen in the iOS vs. Android communities, it happens within those groups as well.

Something wrong here no issues-applevsandroid.gif

Regarding the Nexus 6 battery, I'd agree it's not so hot after the use I put it through compared to what I used to get on my Nokia 5190 w/ extended battery (that beast could carry me close to 2 weeks back in the day!) for its relevant use (voice and text). But then again, it's insanely good compared to what I got on my prior Nexus phones, especially in the context of driving the highest resolution display used on any mobile phone to date, and at the largest scale of any of those. What comparably spec'd android phone do you feel it rates horribly in comparison to (and does your scale have shades of grey, or is it just either 'horrible' or 'makes everything else look horrible in comparison')?

My expectation is that a phone should be able to make it through what is for me a full day with heavy use without need for a recharge. I will end the day after 3-4 hours of screen time, plenty of music/video streaming, browsing, and occasional gaming, and have yet to have less than about 20% life when going to bed. And I wouldn't be stricken by horror at the thought of actually plugging my phone in during a commute, or when it's at my desk, if I had to.

---------------------------------------------------
    TLDR?
    Forums are great so long as you:
    1. Remember that people find more joy trashing than praising in forums
    2. Be wary of opinions that give no context for comparison in their evaluation of performance
    3. Be wary of members of the "Cult of ______"
    01-06-2015 11:19 AM
    Above me is the most complete post I've read thus far. That just about sums it up.

01-06-2015 11:40 AM
    Forums are great so long as you:
    1. Remember that people find more joy trashing than praising in forums
    2. Be wary of opinions that give no context for comparison in their evaluation of performance
    3. Be wary of members of the "Cult of ______"
    This should be a sticky banner across all forums....
    anon(5506951) likes this.
    01-06-2015 12:09 PM
    I agree with the posts above. It is important to try them out for yourself as well. I have but I did have concerns about battery and screen burn. I'll try another one out next time I'm at Tmobile.
    01-06-2015 12:25 PM
    I agree with the posts above. It is important to try them out for yourself as well. I have but I did have concerns about battery and screen burn. I'll try another one out next time I'm at Tmobile.
    Demo models are the last place to look for burn in.... I've seen burn in, in one way, shape or form, on every AMOLED device that's been out for a bit... At the local best buy, there's an S5 that has the Samsung demo brutally burned in... and a Note 4 that also had some status bar burn in and what looked like the beginnings of a Samsung logo (which was part of the demo video that runs) showing up. These are devices that are turned up to full brightness and left on 24/7... .that's bad juju for ANY screen, no matter how good it is.

I'm well into my second month.... and what I see from time to time I would call temporary image retention of the nav icons.... but they come and go, so its not perm... and nothing really on the status bar. I am not concerned in the slightest.

And battery life is awesome. with pretty much the same usage, I'd get 3 hours a day out of my Nexus 5, 4 1/2 out of my G3... with the 6 I'm 5 1/2 to 6... .of course I am really never on my phone that much over the course of the day, so its a non-issue.
    01-09-2015 10:27 AM
    I also love this phone. Just got it yesterday but everything is great so far!!
    01-09-2015 10:29 AM
    If a phone sells 7 million units, how is a forum a good place to gauge what % of those 7 million are having similar problems? The number of people posting here isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to how many people own the device.
    01-09-2015 10:30 PM
    Post has no point.

01-10-2015 09:33 AM
26 12