Manual camera

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone interested in mobile photography and full controls with a Nexus 6 do a video review of the new app Manual Camera? I'm so looking forward to using it.

Posted via the Android Central App

keerf

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey,

I just tried it the other day, and so far it seems interesting. I want to see how well it outputs files and how workable they are in something like Capture One.

So far though, the controls are nice, but it doesn't let you shoot in something like RAW only. It only does either Jpeg, or JPEG+RAW.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Ok I have the Z3 and this app seems to be the dream for me as I wait for the Lollipop update. Camera FV-5 was ok but Manual Camera seems to greatly solve the beautiful UI problem. And it's only going to get better.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
It's an AMAZING app except for a few issues that hopefully will be addressed in a future update:

1. No way to save settings. Geo-tagging is on by default. (THIS HAS BEEN FIXED)
  2. No RAW only
Outside of those minor issues, the app is great. I love how quick the shutter release responds. It would be nice to have the ability to optically zoom and adjust the aperture, but those are hardware limitations and have nothing to do with the app.

Last edited:

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Very exciting to hear. What's the slowest shutter speed available for the Nexus 6 using the app? I was reading some of the user reviews and I expect those issues to be resolved in future updates. Feel free to post pictures as well that you captured using the app.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Very exciting to hear. What's the slowest shutter speed available for the Nexus 6 using the app? I was reading some of the user reviews and I expect those issues to be resolved in future updates. Feel free to post pictures as well that you captured using the app.

Shutter speed ranges from 0.6s to 1/32000 of a second.

Why not just buy the app. It's $2! Play with it for 15 minutes and decide if you like it or not. It's an easy app to use.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Shutter speed ranges from 0.6s to 1/32000 of a second.

Why not just buy the app. It's $2! Play with it for 15 minutes and decide if you like it or not. It's an easy app to use.
They won't let me download the app yet since my phone doesn't have the Lollipop update. All I can do is look at it in the store.lol It's so sad but Sony has publicly announced that Sony Xperia owners will get updated next month so I'm just waiting.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
They won't let me download the app yet since my phone doesn't have the Lollipop update. All I can do is look at it in the store.lol It's so sad but Sony has publicly announced that Sony Xperia owners will get updated next month so I'm just waiting.

AH, OK...but be aware. The Manual Camera app ONLY works on the Nexus 5 and 6 with Lollipop. No other phones are supported at this time. This quote is DIRECTLY from the developers comments on the Play Store:

"Important:
This app takes full advantage of Lollipop's Camera2 API, and therefore requires it to be properly implemented in your Android ROM. If your device runs on Lollipop, and still the app is not compatible with it, please contact your ROM provider (e.g. Samsung, LG) and ask them why they haven't implemented Camera2 API? So far the situation looks really bad. Only Nexus 5 works perfect. Nexus 6 is almost perfect (only white balance is not working). But the rest of manufacturers are not willing to take this effort, and therefore their devices are not compatible at all."

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
AH, OK...but be aware. The Manual Camera app ONLY works on the Nexus 5 and 6 with Lollipop. No other phones are supported at this time. This quote is DIRECTLY from the developers comments on the Play Store:

"Important:
This app takes full advantage of Lollipop's Camera2 API, and therefore requires it to be properly implemented in your Android ROM. If your device runs on Lollipop, and still the app is not compatible with it, please contact your ROM provider (e.g. Samsung, LG) and ask them why they haven't implemented Camera2 API? So far the situation looks really bad. Only Nexus 5 works perfect. Nexus 6 is almost perfect (only white balance is not working). But the rest of manufacturers are not willing to take this effort, and therefore their devices are not compatible at all."
Oh so the Lollipop update and the camera API update are separate?

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Oh so the Lollipop update and the camera API update are separate?

Correct! Unless the OEM implements the Camera2 API in their ROM, even if you have 5.x installed, the app won't work. I have a Nexus 7 (2013) running 5.0.2. I installed the app but it doesn't work. ASUS doesn't utilize the Camera2 API.

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Ya it's terrible - I have s5 with lolipop and it was shock to notice they did not implement the new api.
In fact, seriously considering switching to N6..

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Ya it's terrible - I have s5 with lolipop and it was shock to notice they did not implement the new api.
Yeah I see. I tweeted and will continue to tweet SonyUS on Twitter to get a response from them. Seriously, apps like this with so much potential are the reasons I chose the Z3.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421932919877.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421932919877.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 87

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Sammy does their own things with the camera... I question whether they'll ever include the API with their phones (repackaging outdated libraries and resources isn't exactly new to them.. they've done that for years).

But.... back to manual camera....

There is def some promise in the app. In full auto, shots between it and the google camera are about as identical as mine eyes can see. But being able to fuss with the settings... that's nice.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
There is def some promise in the app. In full auto, shots between it and the google camera are about as identical as mine eyes can see. But being able to fuss with the settings... that's nice.

Some new updates over the weekend have GREATLY improved the app. Settings are now saved after you quit the app. Also, they have updated the app to use the volume controls as a shutter release. Very cool. Also, portrait mode is now supported. They still need to make a few tweaks like being able to shoot video, having a RAW only mode and the ability to utilize the front camera but those things will come in time. Fixing the white balance issue on the N6 will also be helpful.

So far, I really like this app. The ability set and control so many parameters is very nice. Takes me back to the days when I shot with Nikon F3's and F4's. This app has a LOT of potential.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
That's good to know. Haven't heard from Sony on whether they will include the Camera2 API or not but here's to hoping.

NYRico#AC

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I downloaded this app,but, I grew up with auto point and shoots mostly. Id there a good resource to read on how to actually effectively use the manual settings?

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded this app,but, I grew up with auto point and shoots mostly. Id there a good resource to read on how to actually effectively use the manual settings?

Sure there is. Google "manual camera settings" (without the quotes) and take your pick. LOTS of information available on the internet.

Here's a tip...if you have any sort of question, Google it. Most of the time, your question has already been answered. In this case, there are thousands of references.

Last edited:

NYRico#AC

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Thank you, had googled the term looking for instructions specific to the app. Used your search terms and found actual manual camer (DSLR ) settings explained, but them realized that I could just apply these to the app, it is manual camera after all.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
So I'm still anxiously waiting to hear if Sony will include the Camera2 API with its release of the Lollipop update. Still no word. Can you guys with Nexus 6 post some comparison shots between the stock camera and the Manual Camera app?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc