05-28-2015 08:46 PM
52 123
tools
    Can anyone interested in mobile photography and full controls with a Nexus 6 do a video review of the new app Manual Camera? I'm so looking forward to using it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-20-2015 03:06 PM
    Hey,

I just tried it the other day, and so far it seems interesting. I want to see how well it outputs files and how workable they are in something like Capture One.

So far though, the controls are nice, but it doesn't let you shoot in something like RAW only. It only does either Jpeg, or JPEG+RAW.
    01-20-2015 03:15 PM
    Ok I have the Z3 and this app seems to be the dream for me as I wait for the Lollipop update. Camera FV-5 was ok but Manual Camera seems to greatly solve the beautiful UI problem. And it's only going to get better.
    01-20-2015 03:22 PM
    It's an AMAZING app except for a few issues that hopefully will be addressed in a future update:

1. No way to save settings. Geo-tagging is on by default. (THIS HAS BEEN FIXED)
    2. No RAW only

Outside of those minor issues, the app is great. I love how quick the shutter release responds. It would be nice to have the ability to optically zoom and adjust the aperture, but those are hardware limitations and have nothing to do with the app.
    01-20-2015 04:01 PM
    Very exciting to hear. What's the slowest shutter speed available for the Nexus 6 using the app? I was reading some of the user reviews and I expect those issues to be resolved in future updates. Feel free to post pictures as well that you captured using the app.
    01-20-2015 04:24 PM
    Very exciting to hear. What's the slowest shutter speed available for the Nexus 6 using the app? I was reading some of the user reviews and I expect those issues to be resolved in future updates. Feel free to post pictures as well that you captured using the app.
    Shutter speed ranges from 0.6s to 1/32000 of a second.

Why not just buy the app. It's $2! Play with it for 15 minutes and decide if you like it or not. It's an easy app to use.
    01-20-2015 10:11 PM
    Shutter speed ranges from 0.6s to 1/32000 of a second.

Why not just buy the app. It's $2! Play with it for 15 minutes and decide if you like it or not. It's an easy app to use.
    They won't let me download the app yet since my phone doesn't have the Lollipop update. All I can do is look at it in the store.lol It's so sad but Sony has publicly announced that Sony Xperia owners will get updated next month so I'm just waiting.
    01-21-2015 08:17 AM
    They won't let me download the app yet since my phone doesn't have the Lollipop update. All I can do is look at it in the store.lol It's so sad but Sony has publicly announced that Sony Xperia owners will get updated next month so I'm just waiting.
    AH, OK...but be aware. The Manual Camera app ONLY works on the Nexus 5 and 6 with Lollipop. No other phones are supported at this time. This quote is DIRECTLY from the developers comments on the Play Store:

"Important:
    This app takes full advantage of Lollipop's Camera2 API, and therefore requires it to be properly implemented in your Android ROM. If your device runs on Lollipop, and still the app is not compatible with it, please contact your ROM provider (e.g. Samsung, LG) and ask them why they haven't implemented Camera2 API? So far the situation looks really bad. Only Nexus 5 works perfect. Nexus 6 is almost perfect (only white balance is not working). But the rest of manufacturers are not willing to take this effort, and therefore their devices are not compatible at all."
    01-21-2015 11:26 AM
    AH, OK...but be aware. The Manual Camera app ONLY works on the Nexus 5 and 6 with Lollipop. No other phones are supported at this time. This quote is DIRECTLY from the developers comments on the Play Store:

"Important:
    This app takes full advantage of Lollipop's Camera2 API, and therefore requires it to be properly implemented in your Android ROM. If your device runs on Lollipop, and still the app is not compatible with it, please contact your ROM provider (e.g. Samsung, LG) and ask them why they haven't implemented Camera2 API? So far the situation looks really bad. Only Nexus 5 works perfect. Nexus 6 is almost perfect (only white balance is not working). But the rest of manufacturers are not willing to take this effort, and therefore their devices are not compatible at all."
    Oh so the Lollipop update and the camera API update are separate?
    01-21-2015 12:10 PM
    Oh so the Lollipop update and the camera API update are separate?
    Correct! Unless the OEM implements the Camera2 API in their ROM, even if you have 5.x installed, the app won't work. I have a Nexus 7 (2013) running 5.0.2. I installed the app but it doesn't work. ASUS doesn't utilize the Camera2 API.
    01-21-2015 12:44 PM
    Smacks forehead. Sony do the right thing please.
    01-21-2015 12:46 PM
    Ya it's terrible - I have s5 with lolipop and it was shock to notice they did not implement the new api.
    In fact, seriously considering switching to N6..
    01-22-2015 01:39 AM
    Ya it's terrible - I have s5 with lolipop and it was shock to notice they did not implement the new api.
    Yeah I see. I tweeted and will continue to tweet SonyUS on Twitter to get a response from them. Seriously, apps like this with so much potential are the reasons I chose the Z3.
    Attached Thumbnails Manual camera-uploadfromtaptalk1421932919877.jpg  
    01-22-2015 07:22 AM
    Sammy does their own things with the camera... I question whether they'll ever include the API with their phones (repackaging outdated libraries and resources isn't exactly new to them.. they've done that for years).

But.... back to manual camera....

There is def some promise in the app. In full auto, shots between it and the google camera are about as identical as mine eyes can see. But being able to fuss with the settings... that's nice.
    01-22-2015 08:48 AM
    There is def some promise in the app. In full auto, shots between it and the google camera are about as identical as mine eyes can see. But being able to fuss with the settings... that's nice.
    Some new updates over the weekend have GREATLY improved the app. Settings are now saved after you quit the app. Also, they have updated the app to use the volume controls as a shutter release. Very cool. Also, portrait mode is now supported. They still need to make a few tweaks like being able to shoot video, having a RAW only mode and the ability to utilize the front camera but those things will come in time. Fixing the white balance issue on the N6 will also be helpful.

So far, I really like this app. The ability set and control so many parameters is very nice. Takes me back to the days when I shot with Nikon F3's and F4's. This app has a LOT of potential.
    01-26-2015 08:54 AM
    That's good to know. Haven't heard from Sony on whether they will include the Camera2 API or not but here's to hoping.
    01-26-2015 09:05 AM
    I downloaded this app,but, I grew up with auto point and shoots mostly. Id there a good resource to read on how to actually effectively use the manual settings?
    01-26-2015 09:07 AM
    I downloaded this app,but, I grew up with auto point and shoots mostly. Id there a good resource to read on how to actually effectively use the manual settings?
    Sure there is. Google "manual camera settings" (without the quotes) and take your pick. LOTS of information available on the internet.

Here's a tip...if you have any sort of question, Google it. Most of the time, your question has already been answered. In this case, there are thousands of references.
    01-26-2015 09:27 AM
    Thank you, had googled the term looking for instructions specific to the app. Used your search terms and found actual manual camer (DSLR ) settings explained, but them realized that I could just apply these to the app, it is manual camera after all.
    BartmanJax likes this.
    01-26-2015 11:09 AM
    So I'm still anxiously waiting to hear if Sony will include the Camera2 API with its release of the Lollipop update. Still no word. Can you guys with Nexus 6 post some comparison shots between the stock camera and the Manual Camera app?
    02-07-2015 09:25 PM
    So I'm still anxiously waiting to hear if Sony will include the Camera2 API with its release of the Lollipop update. Still no word. Can you guys with Nexus 6 post some comparison shots between the stock camera and the Manual Camera app?
    Comparing the manual app to the stock camera app isn't really a good comparison. The manual app lets you adjust SO many things. For example, lets say I were taking a picture of a waterfall. With the normal app, it would just take a picture and say ISO 400, 1/400 shutter speed. With the Manual Camera app, I could take that same picture at say ISO 800, 1/800 of a second and pretty much stop the water. But I could also go down to say ISO 50, and 1/30 of a second shutter speed which would blur the water showing a sense of motion.

Manual Camera isn't going to take better pictures. It's going to give you creative control over the pictures you already take. For quick shots or shots that have a moving subject, the standard camera app will probably work better. Be still life or close up pictures or pictures where you want to control the depth of field, then Manual Camera will be give you that flexibility and creative control.
    02-09-2015 02:12 PM
    Comparing the manual app to the stock camera app isn't really a good comparison. The manual app lets you adjust SO many things. For example, lets say I were taking a picture of a waterfall. With the normal app, it would just take a picture and say ISO 400, 1/400 shutter speed. With the Manual Camera app, I could take that same picture at say ISO 800, 1/800 of a second and pretty much stop the water. But I could also go down to say ISO 50, and 1/30 of a second shutter speed which would blur the water showing a sense of motion.

Manual Camera isn't going to take better pictures. It's going to give you creative control over the pictures you already take. For quick shots or shots that have a moving subject, the standard camera app will probably work better. Be still life or close up pictures or pictures where you want to control the depth of field, then Manual Camera will be give you that flexibility and creative control.
    That is the whole point of me asking. I haven't seen any reviews of the app yet and I want to see how much a difference being able to control the settings made. I guess I just want to see some images captured using the app beyond what the stock camera can do.
    02-09-2015 02:50 PM
    That is the whole point of me asking. I haven't seen any reviews of the app yet and I want to see how much a difference being able to control the settings made. I guess I just want to see some images captured using the app beyond what the stock camera can do.
    Ah, OK! Sadly, it's terrible weather here today and it's supposed to rain here the next few days. As soon as we get a nice, sunny day, I'll get outside and set up a few different scenarios and see what I can get from the app. Stay tuned....
    02-09-2015 04:02 PM
    Ah, OK! Sadly, it's terrible weather here today and it's supposed to rain here the next few days. As soon as we get a nice, sunny day, I'll get outside and set up a few different scenarios and see what I can get from the app. Stay tuned....
    Yes. Thanks a bunch. I'll be looking forward to your images.👍👍
    02-09-2015 04:04 PM
    Some new updates today. You can now "pinch to zoom" (4X) and the bug with portrait/landscape has been fixed.
    02-10-2015 08:14 PM
52 123