So, I got over my fear of rooting and took the chance and rooted my device and flashed the latest Nameless ROM last night. The process was actually quite easy, but the ROM wasn't all that stable, unfortunately. Granted, my device is ancient (lol) at this point in terms of updates, so it's hardly optimized for Lollipop, but I honestly wasn't impressed by the feel of it as I thought I'd be.

Maybe it's just that I'm used to TouchWiz and knowing where everything is at this point, but I guess it's made me appreciate skins more. Whatever the case may be, I think my desire for a Nexus 6 device has been tempered through this experience.

I restored the saved backup I had through ClockworkMod, and I'm still rooted. While I'm still blah towards TouchWiz, I now feel like my next device will have a lighter skin; perhaps on an HTC M9, LG G4 or Moto X Gen 3. Sigh, either way, it's made me rethink things.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-24-2015 09:27 AM
    Um, this is the Nexus 6 forum. I assume you posted in the wrong area..
    01-24-2015 09:32 AM
    Um, this is the Nexus 6 forum. I assume you posted in the wrong area..
    No, I didn't, I'm aware of where I posted. I posted here because I frequent these threads, and was contemplating getting the Nexus 6 and reporting my thoughts, but thanks anyway.

01-24-2015 09:37 AM
    Oh OK, my bad I guess......
    01-24-2015 09:40 AM
    Try a good rom on a good phone and you might change your tune.
    01-24-2015 10:35 PM
    I have a Nexus 6. Unlocked the bootloader, rooted and running CM12 nightlies.
    CM makes it very easy to get and install the newest version.
    Also did the LED hack which is really cool to have now.

Mav.

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band Nexus 6.
    01-24-2015 11:34 PM
    So, I got over my fear of rooting and took the chance and rooted my device and flashed the latest Nameless ROM last night. The process was actually quite easy, but the ROM wasn't all that stable, unfortunately. Granted, my device is ancient (lol) at this point in terms of updates, so it's hardly optimized for Lollipop, but I honestly wasn't impressed by the feel of it as I thought I'd be.

Maybe it's just that I'm used to TouchWiz and knowing where everything is at this point, but I guess it's made me appreciate skins more. Whatever the case may be, I think my desire for a Nexus 6 device has been tempered through this though

Congratulations on rooting!!! Like I said it's not that hard and it opens up quite a few things. Don't give up on lollipop yet. More themes and skins are becoming available. I'm using the Liquid Smooth Rom.. See if they have a version for your device.
    01-25-2015 04:32 PM
    Congratulations on rooting!!! Like I said it's not that hard and it opens up quite a few things. Don't give up on lollipop yet. More themes and skins are becoming available. I'm using the Liquid Smooth Rom.. See if they have a version for your device.
    Thank you! Actually, yes there is a Liquid Smooth ROM for my device. I was going to flash it, but I ended up flashing Temasek's 5.0.2 ROM (stable build) instead. It's very smooth; no lag or stutter. I'm quite impressed with it. I do like the fact that the settings in Liquid Smooth are dark and not white, though.

01-25-2015 09:32 PM
    Thank you! Actually, yes there is a Liquid Smooth ROM for my device. I was going to flash it, but I ended up flashing Temasek's 5.0.2 ROM (stable build) instead. It's very smooth; no lag or stutter. I'm quite impressed with it. I do like the fact that the settings in Liquid Smooth are dark and not white, though.

. . . That's the second rom? You're on the move now.. Lol! If you are still reconsidering the Nexus, I would recommend the G2(rooted running Lollipop ..My previous phone). It's smaller that the 6,bigger than the 5..excellent internals, camera, battery, display and Rom support. I think you would be happy with that if you decide against the nexus
    01-26-2015 07:52 AM
    . . . That's the second rom? You're on the move now.. Lol! If you are still reconsidering the Nexus, I would recommend the G2(rooted running Lollipop ..My previous phone). It's smaller that the 6,bigger than the 5..excellent internals, camera, battery, display and Rom support. I think you would be happy with that if you decide against the nexus
    At this point I'm open to anything. I have heard the about the battery life on the G2 being really good, and that's important, along with good stand by time for me. As I've said before, the one thing that scares me about the Nexus is the lack of third-party repair options, in case of a drop, since most local stores more readily support Apple and Samsung repair.

01-26-2015 10:13 AM
    As I've said before, the one thing that scares me about the Nexus is the lack of third-party repair options, in case of a drop, since most local stores more readily support Apple and Samsung repair.

I agree with you about repair support. I've been paying for insurance since 99 and maybe used it twice. I might drop the insurance , but this is the one that I need it for. Get the 6...Put Liquid Smooth on it (i just love what this rom offers) and live happily ever after.. Lol
    01-26-2015 10:58 AM
    I agree with you about repair support. I've been paying for insurance since 99 and maybe used it twice. I might drop the insurance , but this is the one that I need it for. Get the 6...Put Liquid Smooth on it (i just love what this rom offers) and live happily ever after.. Lol
    Lol, thanks for the suggestion. We'll see how the N6 behaves by the time I get it in the spring. If it's being a good boy, I'll get it. That screen and those front-firing speakers were selling points to me.

01-26-2015 11:04 AM
    I'm going to make a prediction here. Spring will come them you're going to buy the galaxy s 6 and flash it.

01-26-2015 12:27 PM
    I'm going to make a prediction here. Spring will come them you're going to buy the galaxy s 6 and flash it.

I wouldn't bet on that. I'm not a fan of TouchWiz, I'm just used to it. It's time to try something new.

01-26-2015 02:11 PM
    I am not able to install downloaded updates.
    Error says : Unfortunately, Liquid Updater has stopped.
    02-05-2015 03:07 AM
    I am not able to install downloaded updates.
    Error says : Unfortunately, Liquid Updater has stopped.
    The updater is not working yet. Go back to the rom page and update from there. I'm on the 2/4 build now.
    02-07-2015 09:09 AM